BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sport Seats with the M Sport Package?

28K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  demas 
#1 ·
Hi, Just ordered a 535iX with the MSport package. The sales guy talked me out of the Contour seats, stating that the MSport package comes with "Sports Seats" already, so I dont need the Contour. However, cant find any specs or info on the difference between the seats that come with Msport, versus the traditional seats. Any insight would be apprecaited. Tx

#2 ·
The main difference is the thigh supports that extend out the front of the seat.

Base seats don't have this feature.

I have not compared them lately, but I am sure there are more differences with stitching, headrest, side bolsters as in past models.

#7 ·
A more important feature of the multi contour seat is the ability to curve the back of the seat.

#3 ·
Having just bought a 2013 535i with M-sport a few weeks ago myself, I'm almost positive that the seats in any 5 series without multi-contour are the same regardless of m-sport. They had 2 m-sport packages to choose. 1 with mutli-contour and one without. The one without looked like it had the same seats as a non m-sport. There were no thigh extensions.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

#5 ·
In Europe you can get a variety of seats. I have a photo of the "standard" sport seats from 2010 somewhere, but you can also find online.

1. On the Euro sport seats, the seat back and headrest look the same as the standard seats, although the bolsters could be larger. The thigh bolster is squared off (runs parallel with the rest of the bottom cushion stitching).
2. On the M-Sport seats, the seat back actually looks like the seat in the M5.
3. HOWEVER, the M5 has the better headrest (my friend called it the "Darth Vadar seat").
4. In the USA, you either go for the standard seats or 18-way comfort (unless you get an M5). The thigh bolster tapers OUT instead of running parallel like the Euro sport seat / M5 bottom cushion.

You can find a picture of the European M-Sport seat from a guy in Austria who just converted from Alcantara to leather (third party shop):

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689601

#6 ·
I have a 535i on order that just completed production today. There are pictures of sport seats in the 5 series brochure but they are not available in the US. Your only choices are standard seats or comfort seats. The comfort seats are what most folks in the US think of as sport seats but you can't get sport seats in the US. Make darn sure that the standard seats are what you want because that is what you have ordered no matter what it shows in the brochure. If that's not what you wanted you can change your order before it goes into production.

#8 ·
Whatever you do, get the comfort seats. They are so much better than the standard seats. I have yet to encounter a person who got them and didn't think they were worth every penny.

#11 · (Edited)
The seats topic has been covered many times on this forum. The bottom line for me (and many others agree) is this:

1. The multi-contour seats are probably better than the standard seats. The upper back adjustment makes them worth it to me.

2. The multi-contour seats are not necessarily more comfortable than the standard seats.

3. The multi-contour seats in the F10 are not as good as the multi-contour seats in the E60 or in other previous BMW's. And they are not all that comfortable on the lower back for some people (which is why, sometimes, the standard seats are more comfortable).

4. Probably get them, but they could be (and have been in the past) much better.

Personally, I wish I had my E60 multi-contour seats back.

#12 ·
I have the comfort seats and love them, having vented seats in the summer is great.

#19 ·
agree. I would not have a five without them. They are incredibly comfortable. I did a 1030 trip straight through by myself in the car - a trip I have done in several other cars. The BMW was by far the most comfortable.

#13 ·
There are two seats available in the US: standard and multi-contour. No comfort. No sport.

As of now, MSport does not bundle with the multicontour. Prior to 2013 they had come as part if both sport and MSport

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#14 ·
There are two seats available in the US: standard and multi-contour. No comfort. No sport.
Correct. I said comfort when I meant multi-contour. I thought the term was being used interchangeably. Thanks for clarifying.

#16 · (Edited)
According to the BMW website, the M-Sport package comes with sport seats:

"M Sport package.

Aesthetics in their most dynamic form: the M Sport package for the BMW 5 Series Sedan. Experience the visible and perceptible expression of an untameable yearning for more dynamics.

Driven by downforce: the aerodynamics package for front and rear apron. The rear diffuser and M rear spoiler noticeably improve the pressure on the rear axle, particularly at high speeds. Experience the BMW 5 Series Sedan anew together with the M Sport suspension and the M Light alloy wheels 350 M in 18 inch or 351 M in 19 inch. Connoisseurs appreciate details such as the tailpipe in dark chrome, designed to harmonise with the optional paint finish in Carbon Black metallic exclusive to the M Sport package.

The interior also displays its sporting side: with Aluminium Hexagon interior trim strips and BMW Individual roof liner in anthracite. Moulded Sport seats offer side support even at the high lateral accelerations mastered perfectly with the M leather steering wheel. Providing additional support on the steering wheel are distinctive thumb rests, the thick contoured rim and multifunction keys."

#20 ·
The seats ARE well worth the money and are THE BEST seat your butt will ever sit in. Just ask anyone who ponied up the extra money!!!
I ponied up the money for the multi-contour seats with ventilation, massage, and butt warmers, and they have fewer features than the multi-contour seats in the E60 and they are not as comfortable. They are good and I would get them again, but they are not "THE BEST" and definitely not the most comfortable.

So I guess don't ask me.

#32 ·
#36 · (Edited)
Another reason buying a BMW is so GD confusing. In 2012 the 550 M-Sport package did come with Multi Contour seats. If I were buying a new 2013 I'd live in fear that I would unknowingly leave off an important feature that came with the M-Sport in the past.

#45 · (Edited)
Another reason buying a BMW is so GD confusing. In 2012 the 550 M-Sport package did come with Multi Contour seats. If I were buying a new 2013 I'd live in fear that I would unknowingly leave off an important feature that came with the M-Sport in the past.
That's why it took me 2 weeks going back and forth scrutinizing at the 2013 ordering guide to be 100% certain I didn't overlook any option(s) I wanted when ordering our car. You fellow forum members were a great help as well.

Aside from the multi contour seats, they took away DDC and ARS from the M Sport Pack since MY2011 with each subsequent year leaving you with just an appearance package in 2013. Who knows what BMWNA will do with MY 2014.

#27 ·
I'm sitting here chuckling that we are even having another seat discussion. This has been discussed over and over.

The answer to the OP's question is: No, the M Sport package does not come with sport seats or multi-contour seats. The M Sport package comes with standard seats.

Are the standard seats sufficient? It depends on the buyer. Go to the dealership and try them out (be sure to try out the adjustable upper back feature offered by the multi-contour seats because that feature alone makes them worth it to me).

#31 ·
I'm sitting here chuckling that we are even having another seat discussion. This has been discussed over and over.

The answer to the OP's question is: No, the M Sport package does not come with sport seats or multi-contour seats. The M Sport package comes with standard seats.
I thought in other countries (that is, from the perspective of me = USA), there are actually M-Sport seats (in cloth). See the thread on the Austrian gentleman converting Alcantara to leather.

#30 ·
Just got out the window sticker to answer your question.

Yes, that is the black napa leather option.

Also the luxury seating package. This includes front ventilated seats and active front seats.

Also the heated front seat package.

I hopes this helps. ( btw what are active front seats??)

Fsh

#33 ·
Press the little button in front of the two seat memory buttons.

Hang on. Although, it's a slow grope...

#37 · (Edited)
OP: Seat comfort is a very individual experience. Don't take anyone's opinion for more that what it is, their opinion. You must try out the different seats yourself or you could well make a choice that you will regret. Some like the fit and firmness of sport seats, others especially if you weigh more than around 190 lbs., feel the sport seats are uncomfortable. BMW has made some significant changes to their seats with the new models. Don't rely on anyone's advice, go visit your dealer and try out the various seats before you make your decision. Sounds like the F10 seats are much different that those found in the E60 are for some this is a negative, others find the F10 seats to be great. It is a very individual issue.

#41 ·
That is so true, I find the F10's multi contour seats to be softer than the E60's and the X5's. It seem like BMW design the F10's multi-contour seats to gear more toward luxury instead of sportiness. Chances are, the addition adjustment and padding of the multi-contour seats will fit more body type comfortably. The standard seats in the F10 is very good as it is, but the multi contour seats just take the car into another level of luxury. In my option, beside the powertrain and the steering, the seats in a car is the next most important thing. Its something the driver comes in contact with most and on long trips, the multi contours seats are well worth the price of the admission.

#38 ·
The new 2014 M-sport will come with sport seats. take a look at the spy shots:

You can see the sport seats have a higher thigh support.

#39 ·
Would not assume those would come to US.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#44 ·
"Comfort seats with lumbar support" is how the multi countour seats are described on the Track My BMW page, and in a few other places as well. Kind of confusing.

What's really confusing is seeing photos of Euro market sport seats in promotional literature released in the US market where these seats have never been offered. It wouldn't bother me if it was something minor like orange reflectors on the front fenders, but seats are very important and very personal, just like your body's suspension within the car. I'm all for people getting exactly what they wanted and not being disappointed because they ordered the wrong thing by mistake.

#48 ·
Yes I have the lux. seat package, I played with all the options for 3 -4 weeks,got it just perfect. Then my wife jumped in and hit m, 1. then fiddled and hit M,1 ! ( TOO EASY!!!)

My old Saab 9 5 , click,click, click , comfy.

But all that aside, we did 1400 miles in 3 days, loved it!!

I love the lumbar support, she loves the active seats. The ventilated seats are wonderful for keeping your back from getting sweaty. The active seats are a very slow moving twin bladder sensation, left , right. I thought it worked best that last 20 min. before we arrived. She liked it more. Claimed it made her hips feel better. The lumbar support is very good, much lower than the 2007, 525 that I had. The nappa leather impeccable .

I have the most perfect automobile for interstate travel in the USA !!!

#49 ·
multi contour seat = awesome

#51 ·
I had a 2011 F10 with multicontour and drove a 2013 for a few days with standard seats. Standard F10 seats are WAY more comfortable. Have comfort seats on X5 which are absolutely amazing, multicontour on the F04 are second.

#56 ·
Here in the States, it's just standard seats vs multi contour seats. I like the latter for the upper articulating portion which allows my head to rest on the headrest at all times while driving. I can't recall any other seat allowing me to do that. Again, ergonomics and seat comfort varies from person to person. I suggest get in both and see which one works best for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.