BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What does launch control actually do?

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike D. 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what happens after you initiate launch control? Does the system drop the clutch or slip it until the speed matches the revs? It seems like there would be massive wheelspin if it just dropped the clutch, but I can't find any documentation of how much slippage the system allows.

My question is in regard to the Euro cars, by the way, as I don't think the U.S. cars have it. The U.S. M5 I tried the procedure in would only go to about 1800 rpm and when I let go of the shifter, it just bogged, and it didn't auto upshift, a feature of true launch control.

Thanks in advance.

Mike D.

#4 ·
You got a chance to drive an M5 and try launch control?...or are you referring to the US M3 launch control which basically goes to 1800 rpms and drops the clutch. I thought that the US launch control on M5's are the same as the Euro version....3500 rpm and it feathers the clutch to give max acceleration with min wheelspin.

#6 ·
Jim in Oregon said:
You got a chance to drive an M5 and try launch control?...or are you referring to the US M3 launch control which basically goes to 1800 rpms and drops the clutch. I thought that the US launch control on M5's are the same as the Euro version....3500 rpm and it feathers the clutch to give max acceleration with min wheelspin.
I drove a U.S. M5 and it didn't seem to have any launch control. When I initiated the procedure, it would only go up to 1xxx rpm with the shifter held forward, and then it bogged when I released it. I did figure out "burnout control," though, which is basically just mashing the gas pedal and then immediately left foot braking to hold the car in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.