BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6M views 104K replies 316 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
There has been a bunch of OT threads lately, so i think we should try to keep it all the ot talk in one place. I know the e36 forum rocks, and all the other forums suck big time :bigpimp:, yet we need to stay on topic....

#21 ·
What happened?
Work has dried up. Every machine shop in this area is either cut back to a skeleton crew or closed. Last year we had a 9 month backlog. Now: zero. I don't see getting called back as a possibility. It is very likely the shop will close. :(

The positive side: I'm doing hobby stuff Ive always wanted to, but never had the time before.:thumbup: If you want to see what hobby stuff I mean, click the link in my sig.

#24 ·
Thanks! I'm so excited about it! Literally like bouncing off the walls. Was going to take the hood off and start on that project today too, but it started raining and the sun went away.... So it'll have to wait till Saturday. Glad you like it!

#25 ·
Check it out! Don't want to start a new thread... But finally got one of the door panels on. Happy time!
What kind of glue did you use? is that red leather or vinyl?

#26 ·
The entire door panel was reupholstered, not just the red. Its all a marine quality vinyl, looks and feels just like leather (those little screw covers that hold the door pull on match perfectly) and is sun and weather resistant. Tried carpet glue, didn't work. Tried spray adhesive, no dice. The only two things that would work were Contact Cement and 5 min epoxy. Turns out those glues don't like 100+ temperatures that are constant this time of year and wouldn't set up............ At ALL.

I'd heard to use hot glue on the red panel insert to keep it on, but then had ALSO heard from Ken that no glue he'd tried was able to keep that panel on. Sooooooo, did something similar and used screws to hold that panel in place. Used the little plastic button thingies that snap over the screw head to give it a cleaner, professional look, as opposed to the more industrial look of the open screws. Mainly because I couldn't find the same screws Ken had used and these were the next best look. I'm going to keep looking for some different screws to see if I can find anything else I like better, but its awesome for now.

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow to show just how perfectly the red matches my paint. Seriously, it's like it was custom dyed to match.

#27 ·
Oh, no! We're staying on a topic on an off-topic thread! :rofl:

Here's what Amber was referring to about my plight of trying to keep the door insert in place. After trying three different glues/contact cements, including top-of-the-line 3M contact adhesive, and watching the panel pop loose in the heat, I gave up and resorted to mechanical attachment. Screws/cup washers are from the Dorman brand of "Help!" parts, product # 02406: http://tinyurl.com/mv3fda

I have given up on trying to get the cover to stay glued on the insert itself. I'm just going to put up with the bubbles, but no more insert flapping every time the door is opened!

Attachments

#30 ·
Thanks! You can't really see it in those pictures unless you look really closely, but an effect I termed "old man wrinkles" kinda happened in some areas with the red. Not sure why, think the fabric didn't react well to being stretched or the glue, but its ok. Gives it an aged leather look...

#33 ·
"old man wrinkles"? Hey, I resemble that remark! :bustingup
That was actually edited for PC reasons.... Was pretty sure most of you wouldn't appreciate the "old man wrinkly.." phrase. Use your imagination though. :angel:

#39 ·
Mmmmmmmk.... You may think as you like. So I suppose that floppy and bubbled material is sticking true to non-rice? Think the best compliment I've gotten yet about the panel was from Chad, who said it reminded him of the E39 M5 interior. If you're referring to how the insert is held in, not only do I like it, but it was needed in order to have the insert stay in place down here. :p

And BTW, the Celica wasn't rice either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.