BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Ok, what about the new Q50?

13K views 137 replies 39 participants last post by  Kafkaesque328 
#1 · (Edited)
I kind like the new look, but still too bloated to make me too excited:

Since there is no new engine introduced, don't know if the coarse engine sound will change much.

See less See more
#9 ·
The Q50 takes the place of the G sedan, Q60 the G coupe and convertible and the Q70 will take the place of the M.
Yeah, so I just did a little reading.

I think that is absolutely STUPID!!!

I always like the G design. It actually looked like it was trying to compete with the 3er.

This new thing looks like it's trying to compete with the 5er. I hate Audi's bulbous grill and I hate this one even more.

From Automobile Magazine:

"With the introduction of the 2014 Infiniti Q50 at the Detroit auto show, we see the direction that Nissan's premium car division is charting for the future, as this replacement for the Infiniti G37 sedan presents a new face and new technology in an effort to capture a new market."

"....a new market.", I guess Infiniti is throwing in the towel in their efforts to be a BMW competitor.

#14 · (Edited)
I'll grant you the tail lights and the rear of the F30 look very much like the F10. I am very good at being able to tell apart the details of cars and I have a hard time with the rear of the F30 and the F10. IMO they are too similar. But, overall the F30 3er doesn't look any more like the 5er or the 7er than it ever has. Which is to say they look very similar and share a strong family resemblance. Just not any more than is traditional for BMW. Chris Bangle tried to change that and despite all the protestations we hear about BMWs looking too much alike - same sausage, three lengths - the market spoke and said they actually want BMWs to look like each other.

Maybe the Q50 looks smaller in person, but in these photos it looks enormous. It also doesn't look sporty like a 3er.

Not entirely accurate to call it a brand new line. This is a g37 replacement and still a 3/a4/c/is competitor. It also happens to be the beginning of Infiniti rebranding their entire lineup where every car will be Qxx and every SUV QXxx
I think BMW is utterly stupid to change the 3er coupe/'vert to the 4 Series. I think Infiniti is even more utterly stupid. So, let's just throw away over 20 years of brand identity we've spent building individual model identities and give them all the same name. Did George Foreman join the board of directors of Infiniti??

They might as well drop the Q completely. Just call the cars the 50, 60, and 70. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

#12 ·
I think a lot of people are confused because of the Q name which dates back to the 1990's that put the Q45 against the BMW 7 series.
The thing is Infiniti has decided to created a brand new line. The 2014 Q has nothing to do with the Q of the 1990's to early 2000's.
The upcoming Q is the successor to the G.

#13 ·
Not entirely accurate to call it a brand new line. This is a g37 replacement and still a 3/a4/c/is competitor. It also happens to be the beginning of Infiniti rebranding their entire lineup where every car will be Qxx and every SUV QXxx

#26 ·
Not bad looking. I've always liked the Infiniti's. I think the naming is very dumb though as someone said earlier. Too many uses of the letter Q in car branding, it gets confusing.

#27 · (Edited)
I know shock value has a purpose, but sheesh, that Q grill is just too much. Man that's "in your face". I don't see BMW going to those extremes to garner attention. Little tweaks here and there, an occasional new design feature, sure. To me, this is what makes BMWs attractive. Graceful evolution. Not some lab experiment mutation. And as others have said, the IS is "The Predator" on four wheels.

#28 ·
i know shock value has a purpose, but sheesh, that q grill is just too much. Man that's "in your face". I don't see bmw going to those extremes to garner attention. Little tweaks here and there, an occasional new design feature, sure. To me, this is what makes bmws attractive. Graceful evolution. Not some lab experiment mutation. And as others have said, the is is "the predator" on four wheels.
+1

#33 ·
You do know the Q50 is a RWD chassis and the Nissan cars are FWD don't you? Stop with the hate and embrace that the Q50 and the current G37 are in the same class as a 3 series. The only problem with the G37 is poor gas mileage and a slight lack of refinement. Better steering than the F30 by the way.

#35 ·
I do not mind the look of this car however the new name is stupid and the steer by wire system is very risky

#41 ·
Why again do we care about a Nissan in a BMW forum? As BJ has said these non-factor competitors get more and more annoying considering they also look like crap. Why would you drive a Charger looking Nissan and an IS based on the Predator which is easily indistinguishable from the GS or ES.

As far as I'm concerned the only good Nissan is a GT-R R35 and it doesn't compete in this class.

#50 ·
You know, it isn't that bad looking. I don't think many BMW shoppers would switch, but I suspect it will sell just as well or better than the G.

#62 · (Edited)
That's just wrong dude!! Seriously you didn't have to go there :(

My lease is up in 2 years, then it might be 440i or M5!

Btw , have u compared the 335i to the Q50S hybrid?? ;)
Yup, actually have. I will never drive another Infiniti. Unless it's free. Or it starts to drive like a Bimmer. Or Bimmer ceases to exist. I have had two Infiniti's. I loved them to pieces until I drove my 335i.

Does your Q50 have the DAS? I'm guessing yes and that it is a hybrid, right?

Oh, and I'm not a dude. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.