BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

how many miles does your E39 have on it?

9K views 103 replies 83 participants last post by  jimzdat 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a 2000 528i from my friend with 168k miles :D. Sadly, its an auto :thumbdwn: . I think I am going to love it though! He has done all the required maintenance so far. Right now, the thermostat and the oxygen sensor are due.

My 94 Accord now has 258k miles and it shows no signs of dieing anytime soon. I expect it to go well beyond 350k miles. I am worried about the maintenance costs of the BMW. The Accord, all I ever paid for was parts. Anything that needed replacing, I DIY.

How many miles are you guys getting out of your E39 and how much problem free is it?

I am OK with doing maintenance work on it, but just want it to still be reliable.

#89 ·
Just about to 260,000 and had my alt go bad yesterday. Found a picked replacement for $75 and swapped in 1 hour. Bought the car with 145,000 on it and since replaced nearly all of the suspension, tie rods, radiator, vanos seals, valve cover gasket and light control module. Yes, it's alot of tinkering but come on, I have a beautiful luxury car that's fun to drive and it has cost me less than $3,000 for worn out parts in over 100,000 miles. Did I mention I got the car for $5,500 then shortly after hit a pot hole that nearly totaled the car and insurance paid me $5,700 for repairs? All it needed was new shocks and a door panel, (the air bag blew and wrecked the panel). That's about $.03 a mile and going down by the day!

#90 ·
I've got 63,920 miles on my '03 540i/6. I've had it for 3 years, and I'm averaging around 5k miles per year due to a short commute, and splitting time with another vehicle.

I've got a slight coolant leak somewhere that I'll need to address soon (seems to be coming from under the vehicle), but otherwise it runs great.

#92 ·
2000 540i sport 6spd, 141k and running strong, recently did the driveshaft bearing support and CV Joint, differential seals and Valve cover seals, Z3M Short Shifter.. ughh first time I had to deal with a driveshaft on a BMW especially that wonderful lightweight exhaust lol, and last PowerFlex Thrsut Arm Bushings can't complaint it's been good to me... but i'm in love with my E39....

#96 ·
Just run in :):) the touring is a great hauler we have moved building materials ,dogs, kids you name it, the later 2.5 is a great engine IMO better than the 2.8 ever was,with 155kms you won't have any issues for a while,we are close to 250kms and have replaced a few ;) consumables.
Enjoy the car ,cheers.

#95 ·
98,000 miles on mine, cooling system over haul, brakes, ABS module, FSU, blower motor, windshield cover, vanos, and VCG. the rest was because i wanted to.

#98 ·
Just picked up a 2002 540ia for 6k from a friend. Came with a bunch of goodies on it... 82,000 miles.

2 hours after I picked it up the upper radiator took a crap. Replaced it and enjoying the ride.

Next up is a Mediabridge install.

Attachments

#103 ·
1999 528i

I bought a 1999 528i a few years back for $4K and now have 176K on it. Incredibly the engine is smooth and quiet. I do fix things form time to time like the idler pully etc. but I'm very impressed on how well this car is designed. I hope to get 300K or so out of it.

#104 ·
I bought my 2000 540i last summer with 162K on it, it's likely going to hit the 200K mark later this week (or at least very darn soon) - planning to yank the engine this weekend, just because I want to replace all the timing components, fix a few oil leaks, and rebuild the VANOS and cooling systems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.