BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Extended Warranty - Dealer made error - demanding

8K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  ard 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought my new 535i this weekend. After much negotiation, the finance guy and I agreed upon a price for a 7 YR / 70,000 mile BMW extended warranty.

But, after signing papers, and driving the car home, I noticed that the dealer had mistakenly put 7 YR / 100,000 mile warranty (instead of 70,000 mile).

In fact, I only noticed this after the finance guy called me today and asked me to return the signed papers and re-sign another one that has the 70,000 mile.

But, he seemed to be quite rude on the get-go, treating me as if I cheated him and didnt bring the error to his notice - his argument is that I took delivery on Saturday and didnt call him back first thing on Monday!

So, friends, do I go back and re-sign a new document (he is sending one by mail to my residence), or tell him to screw-off and keep the one that I have...

Advice is appreciated.

#2 ·
First of all, I've never heard of a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty, but I've never bought extended warranties. Second, if he thought you were rude for not bringing it to his attention sooner he is an asshat, and I would treat him accordingly. My question to you, do you really drive the car under 10,000 miles a year?

BTW, my fundamental answer to your question is that if you signed it knowing that you were signing for 70,000 miles, I would go back and change it. It sounds to me like it really was an honest mistake, but I still would make him pay for his attitude somehow. Drink all the free coffee you can at the dealer while you are there. That is my standard joke when a dealer offers me something to drink....I want everything I can get for free because I know I'm about to pay dearly for it!

#3 ·
Yeah, they do offer 7YR/100K warranty (http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_3927f5d...d.arox?v=cc1afc3a-f710-44c3-af22-dce774027bde)

I think the dude made the error because I was negotiating hard and even declined extended warranty, if it is not within my price range.. making him turn a little red during negotiations.

Honestly, I really do not see any diff b/w 70K and 100K warranty. Will gladly sign the 70K amended document and send it back.

But given his demeanor and (in general) the notoriety of dealers and how they try to nickel and dime you to death, I am thinking of ignoring the dude and not pick up calls when he demands that I re-sign the contract.

He cannot come after me legally, I hope?

#4 ·
I would call the General or Sales Manager and tell him that you expect an apology form the finance guy before you can in good faith feel right about signing the papers.

#6 ·
The dealer made the mistake. If anything, the finance guy should have checked the numbers before having you sign it. Legally, what you signed is legit and they cannot come after you. However, it will be a goodwill gesture for you to go back to sign the revised contract. It's like saying "sorry I charged you less, can you come back to pay the difference".

#7 ·
Just remember, if you got home and found that they made a mistake and overcharged you (monthly say), they would most definitely NOT resign the papers.

Keep that in the back of your mind, they would not do that for you, why should you do that for them?

Id say go back there and re-sign if they were apologetic and genuine, and say the Owner or the Sales Mgr called you. But for this runt to call you upset, screw him.

#9 ·
Do the right thing and re-sign the papers. Personally, I think it's no excuse, as well as wrong, to "penalize" a company because one perceives rude treatment from an employee...there's a correct way to handle that...besides, receiving something one has not paid for is theft. I've read countless posts complaining about dishonest car dealers...there are no degrees of dishonesty, nor does it change into something else when it's the customer taking unfair advantage.

#10 ·
I like your attitude. Over the years I have had dealers make two mistakes that were caught after the fact. The first one was in my favor by $700. He made an honest mistake and apologized profusely. I paid him the $700 and have no regrets. The second mistake was actually on my BMW I have now. They made a $600 mistake in their favor that I discovered a few days later. They apologized and sent me a check for the amount of the error.

#11 ·
There are really two issues here (1) the mistake and (2) the finance guy's attitude.

I like dunderhi's suggestion of escalating the issue to the owner/manager and demanding an apology. You're not going to change finance guy; he'll still be the scum of the earth (along with most other car dealer finance guys), but he will at least feel like a jackass for a few minutes.

Customers should not be treated the way he treated you. It's very true (as someone pointed out) that if he discovered an error in the dealership's favor, you can pretty much guarantee he wouldn't call you up and apologize.

Another option is to tell them you will be honest about your poor experience on the BMW survey where they beg you to give them an A+ across the board.

Then tell them you recognize it was a mistake and are happy to have the documents updated. Who knows, with a few survey threats, they might just leave it at 100K if you'll give them all "10s."

#13 ·
I am assuming the finance manager have not even submitted the paper work to the BMW extended warranty department yet, I would not play hard ball just yet. Like many have said, I would talk to the sales manager and ask for a apology from the finanace guy for been rude. Just remember, the power is in your hands since you have not fill out the survey yet.
This story is so familar to me, I dont know how many time I had good experiences at a car dealer right up until I meet with the finanace manager. Must all those guys be jerks, is that a job requirement? I have met a few nice finance guys before, but they are very few and far in between.

#14 ·
My Finance guy was also a jerk, EVEN THOUGH I PAID CASH!!! He also bad-mouthed the Sales Manager, which I brought to the SM's attention. Unfortunately, this jerk was not the exception, but appeared to be more the rule at the dealership I bought the car at. They lied about my trade-in and dismissed their lies as not affecting my bottom line, therefore all is OK. NO INTEGRITY. NONE. I will not be going back there, EVER. I had a list of bad behaviors that the SM couldn't explain away, other than "we're trying".... Apparently not hard enough. They have permanently lost my business and earned a very negative recommendation to all who inquire.

I have subsequently discovered there is all kinds of "wiggle room" in these extended warranties as well as extended maintenance agreements, despite the FM's tiresome "I can let you have it at this price only if you do it today". Pure nonsense - its just extra profit for the dealership.

To the OP - I wouldn't waste your time at the local level - go straight to regional or national and give them the clown's name. When the owner/manager of your local dealer is contacted about your complaint from his higher-ups, you will have a MUCH better chance of getting what you want. Its all about leverage, which you can easily get in this situation by talking to the correct people. Just my $0.2..:)

#15 ·
7 years, 100,000 miles is an option. I don't know how much extra the option is as I have a 7 year 200,000km (120,000 mile) extended warranty (BMW Canada) and mine was close to $4K. So the contract you signed is for a legitamate product (I think it would be different if BMW NA didn't offer a 7 year/ 100,000 mile warranty) and therefore couldn't be deemed void from that perspective. The next question I would have is what is the difference in cost between the 70k and 100k policies? We may only talking about a couple of hundred dollars or we may be talking about a thousand, or more. If it is in low hundreds I'd hold them to it as a cost of rudeness. If it is over $1k I'd do as dunderhi suggests.

#16 · (Edited)
I would call the sales manager and let him know that the treatment you received has made you re-consider the extended warranty so if they want to void the contract you have you rather void the whole extended warranty. Then you can decide if you still want the warranty when the factory warranty expires depending on your miles and plans for the car. It's IMO a better way to go about extended warranty anyway and perhaps they agree that the 100k miles deal is a fitting apology for their terrible behavior.

#17 ·
I would call the sales manager and let him now that the treatment you received has made you re-consider the extended warranty so if they want to void the contract you have you rather void the whole extended warranty. Then you can decide if you still want the warranty when the factory warranty expires depending on your miles and plans for the car. It's IMO a better way to go about extended warranty anyway and perhaps they agree that the 100k miles deal is a fitting apology for their terrible behavior.
Now that's a great idea!

#20 ·
That's nothing.....when I bought the 535, the F&I guy forgot to ask me for the check. I could have walked out and not paid for 30% of the car. LOL. I didn't need the police chasing me up the highway, though, so I pointed it out to him...

#25 ·
#31 · (Edited)
I like the idea of leave it as is or take it off completely. See what they say?

There is obviously value to the additional mileage I wonder what that is...

Might I ask what you paid?

#34 ·
Any updates? OP, or on the guy that got arrested? :)

For the OP, I have this story: many. many years ago I purchased a car and signed the dea;- took the car home. Only on review did I realize the note had a pre-payment penalty. I had told them I wanted a simple interest note, but failed to read the fine print. So I called the next day. Guess what? "Sorry, we cannot change it- you might contact a bank and see if they will refinance it". So. I figured 'lesson learned. The following week the finance dept calls. Seems the note was in my name, but the cars title was in mine and my wife. He explained that the lender REQUIRED my wife on the note, could she come in and 'take care' of this? Guess who got a simple interest note?.... But they were difficult, nasty, and angry. As if I was the one that ws wrong.

My point is that the signing IS the closing. Math and clearical errors can be fixed, but terms are done deals. Either side can decide if they want to resign, but dealers NEVER do- but will make you feel liek YOU are a criminal if YOU wont. IMO

A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.