BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My first car, a 1986 535i!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  John in VA 
#1 · (Edited)
Been looking for an e28 or e30 for a little while now and I finally found one that I fell in love with! Paid 3k, came with h&r suspension, the wheels, new fuel and water pump, blower motor, thermostat, and an AC conversion. I can't wait to get her registered and insured! It was found in a barn, 17k odo miles but I'm sure it's been replaced. Pretty sure it's under 100k.

Let me know what you guys think and also what I should be looking out for in terms of problems. So far the only thing is some sketchy back window switches and the thermostat needle just jumps around from really hot to really cold. I'm sure that's just some wiring issue.

Here's the album, could only take a few pics but I'll have more tomorrow. Thanks!

http://postimg.org/gallery/54hid4fq/23469294/

(imgur didn't like my phone pics so I had to use postimg)_a_

#2 · (Edited)
Looks very nice. Window issues are usually corroded switch contacts, you can get replacements pretty cheaply. Any car that old is going to have some electrical problems, so keep an eye on contact areas, connectors, battery terminals, wiring etc. Read over the forum posts for maintenance ideas, get yourself a Bentleys E28 repair manual, and be prepared for some wrenching. These cars are not hard to work on, but expect to do some work on brakes, suspension, possibly the exhaust, rubber components (fuel lines especially), etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.