BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

135i lightweight?

13K views 82 replies 24 participants last post by  Redwood 
#1 ·
Since the numbers are out on the weight of the U.S. 1, I have to say I'm a bit confused. Why couldn't BMW give us a lighter 1 than they are offering? I know that using lighter materials in the chassis would bring the costs up, but come on- weighing more than my current E46 is just ridiculous! Do you guys think they'll do a M version in the future that's around 2900 lbs with stronger turbos? Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting a 135, but I wish I could get a gutted version.

#9 ·
Bullsh!t. The Mazda3 2.3 5 door hatch is 6 inches longer and several inches taller than the 1 series but significantly lighter (sub 3000 lbs). Hell the Mazdaspeed3 is about 3100 lbs and that thing is huge compared to a 1 series. People like to blame safety standards but there are cars that are light. The only reason the 1 series is over 3300 lbs: BMW doesn't give a damn about vehicle weight. If BMW cared about bloat, we wouldn't have 3600 lbs 3 series cars.

#23 · (Edited)
Then why can't(won't) BMW build a 1 series at least as light as a Mazda 3?
They could but then it would be like a Mazda.

I've got a 2006 MX-5. It weighs about 2400 lbs. Mazda did extensive gram and $ shaving on the car.

Here are some examples that might put off a BMW buyer:

Manual seats with no height adjustment. If you don't fit, too bad.
Aluminum Hood, deck and trunk lid. Lighter yes, but doesn't have that steel feel.
Exceptionaly high strength steel in the thinnest possible gauge. Saved 10kg but the body panels are thin.
The carpet mats are so thin I've worn through the drivers side at 5000 miles.
The carpet is really thin and cheap. I'm going to have to replace the mats so I don't ruin the carpet.
There is no back side to the rear view mirror. Saves 8 grams :rolleyes:
Plastic intake manifold (oh wait BMW does that too)
No spare. No runflats. (good) No TPMS. Saves weight but ummmm
Very little sound insulation.
Just about zero insulation in the trunk. The trunk gets really hot because the muffler is underneath the trunk.
Thin plastic trim.
Uninsulated top.
Plastic sunvisors. No vanity lights either.
World's smallest battery. Better not leave the headlights on.

FWIW I approve of what Mazda did. They made good choices and hit a decent target price. BMW gives us the Z4 instead. Entirely different cars. Same goes for the 'Speed 3 vs. the 135i

#30 ·
They could but then it would be like a Mazda.

I've got a 2006 MX-5. It weighs about 2400 lbs. Mazda did extensive gram and $ shaving on the car.

Here are some examples that might put off a BMW buyer:

Manual seats with no height adjustment. If you don't fit, too bad.
Aluminum Hood, deck and trunk lid. Lighter yes, but doesn't have that steel feel.
e92 has plastic fenders, and aluminum is always viewed as a positive choice for body parts on cars.

Exceptionally high strength steel in the thinnest possible gauge. Saved 10kg but the body panels are thin.
My e90's rear 3/4 panel dented when I leaned against it. I'm five-seven and weigh 145 lbs! That's was a $200+ repair. BMW's metal is thin to say the least.

No spare. No runflats. (good) No TPMS. Saves weight but ummmm
RFTs are an option on the NC Miata and TPMS is mandated by law for 2007. RFTs are worthless and I replaced them on my e90 and drove without a spare - that's what a cell phone and roadside assistance are for.

Very little sound insulation.
Just about zero insulation in the trunk. The trunk gets really hot because the muffler is underneath the trunk.
No need for sound insulation or any kind of insulation in a car, thanks.

Thin plastic trim.
Uninsulated top.
Plastic sunvisors. No vanity lights either.
Never use sun visors and if you want an insulated top buy the MX-5 hardtop.

World's smallest battery. Better not leave the headlights on.
This is bad?! One could only wish BMW would shave the weight of the battery.

But I've loved the MX-5 since the NA (my sister had one - manual and bare bones). My mother has an NB. Fanstastically fun cars. I was so close to buying an NC when my fiancee informed me she would only ride in it with the top up. No f'ing way I'm driving an NC with the top up in San Diego. That's like dating Scarlett Johansson and insisting she wear a mumu.

#3 ·
Do you guys think they'll do a M version in the future that's around 2900 lbs with stronger turbos? Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting a 135, but I wish I could get a gutted version.
No. If BMW AG does make a light weight, they won't sell it here. BMWNA doesn't think there is a market.

#5 · (Edited)
To do what it would take to get the 1 series anywhere near 2900 lbs (with driver, per the same standard being used for the normal model) would require extensive use of light (and expensive) materials in addition to a serious gutting program. To give you an idea of how much would be required: the WTCC E90 cars (320i based - 3160 lbs stock - and stripped to the shell with no real interior whatsoever, save the addition of a roll cage) weigh in at around 2500 lbs (with driver).

The car would cost tens of thousands more. Who's going to pay for that? Not me. I'd just buy a Boxster/Cayman (which is already under 3000 lbs) instead.

#8 ·
I'd just buy a Boxster/Cayman (which is already under 3000 lbs) instead.
Bingo, that's my problem with the 135i. In my mind, being impractical and expensive it competes with more dedicated sports cars, new and used.

#7 ·
3287? I don't know where that's coming from. The US spec E36 weights include the driver and fuel as well - you cannot subtract those from the 1er to make a comparison.

#19 ·
I've driven my brothers Cayman S, pretty hard on some curvey, challenging mountain roads and allthough it was very buttoned down, I can't see the 135i being $30k less of a car. I know the mid-engine setup provides for better wieght distribution, but $30k better? I don't think so- especally since I drove a 335i at a BMW Performance Driving Day and was totally blown away by its throttle response and handling. How much less does the 1 wiegh than a 335i coupe?

#21 ·
The Cayman is overpriced. The Boxster is slightly overpriced.

Buy a used one and that's not an issue. You can pick a 987S with less than 10k miles for around 45k. That's right about what a 335i coupe would run you with just a few options.
The 135i is 3439 lbs - about 150 lbs lighter than the 335i - and 500+ lbs heavier than the Boxster/Cayman.

#28 · (Edited)
they that keep wanting the 135 to be the same weight as the Mazda3... have you actually driven on and lived with one? I have.... I owned one for a year and dumped it. It's not that quiet, the material isn't that great, etc... plus RWD will add some weight penalty, the I6 weighs more than the 4 cylinder, add two turbos, that adds weight as well. etc etc...

don't get me wrong, I too wish that it was < 3000lbs...

#39 ·
People can argue about the true curb weight, but if it's only 120 lbs lighter than the 335i coupe, it's definitely heavy.

What appeals to me is the short wheelbase and the good looks, and of course the idea it's a brand new car w/ 4 years free maintenance that might be $35k by Euro Delivery.

If the moonroof is optional (meaning I can fit easily), I'll seriously consider it. A Cooper S like I want it will be like $30k.

#41 ·
People can argue about the true curb weight, but if it's only 120 lbs lighter than the 335i coupe, it's definitely heavy.

What appeals to me is the short wheelbase and the good looks, and of course the idea it's a brand new car w/ 4 years free maintenance that might be $35k by Euro Delivery.

If the moonroof is optional (meaning I can fit easily), I'll seriously consider it. A Cooper S like I want it will be like $30k.
I agree.

#42 ·
These new cars with all these safety features to prevent lawsuits end up weighing quite a bit in the end. The seats alone with all those air-bags in them along with the motors to move them are very heavy. Swapping a few parts in this new 135i and the 135i will be one great athlete:thumbup: If you care about the weight then the weight problem is very easy to fix. Replacing the seats in the front to lighter weight seats, wheels with lighter weight wheels and swapping the exhaust to a lighter weight exhuast will leave you very happy.:) I drove my current 130i straight from the dealership to my friend's tuning shop. The tuning started 1 hour after I got my car:)

#44 ·
Numbers from autos.msn.com

135i 3293 ?? US specs not out yet
MazdaSpeed 3 3153
VW GTI 3100 (not the R32)
Z4 3.0i 3020
Mazda 3 2900
S2000 2855
Mini Cooper 2596
MX-5 2474 (2441 with AC delete)
Elise 1984 :yikes:

Most versions of the 911 are a few hundred pounds heavier than the 135i. Not that they are in the same league anyway.

#46 ·
Numbers from autos.msn.com

135i 3293 ?? US specs not out yet
MazdaSpeed 3 3153
VW GTI 3100 (not the R32)
Z4 3.0i 3020
Mazda 3 2900
S2000 2855
Mini Cooper 2596
MX-5 2474 (2441 with AC delete)
Elise 1984 :yikes:

Most versions of the 911 are a few hundred pounds heavier than the 135i. Not that they are in the same league anyway.
And they do weigh quite a bit in the end... the wrong end. :rofl:

#50 ·
I just drove my first new 3 series, a 328Xi coupe that I got as a loaner car. I think the car has 200 lbs of sound deadening - I cannot hear the engine whether the windows are down or up. It's like Toyota quiet.

#53 ·
You're probably right, but why can't they just give us what we want? Take a 135, strip out most of the sound deadening material, ditch the power windows, delete the A/C unit, put a lighter exhuast, lighter wheels, add a carbon fiber roof and hood, and put slightly larger turbos in, and boom- there's your M1(I know, most people beleive you can't call it this, but that was discussed in an earlier thread)! It makes no sense to me that they are comparing the current 1 with the 2002 when the 1 is so bloated and over technified. I understand the marketing ploy, but c'mon!

#56 · (Edited)
BMW could do a limited run of like 5000
5000????? BMW doesn't sell 5000 Z4s in a year.

Mazda tried this with the '03 Club Sport NB Miata. AC delete. PS delete. Radio Delete Windblocker delete. Convertible top delete (you could fit a hard top or just have no top). You get the idea.
Mazda made 50 of them at the beginning of the 2003 model year. May 2003 Mazda offered a $2000 rebate.

When I was shopping for my 2006, I came accross unsold 2003 club sports.

Mazda learned. The '06 Club Sport has AC delete and no metallic colors. Other than that it is the same as a base car. Just an advertiser now.

In other Markets Mazda still sells the NR-A. Not in the US though.

#68 ·
What really bugs me is here in the states, we get all the high-priced, highly optioned, least configured BMW's. The company, in its need for a "business case" gives us the least choice.

The rest of world can get any 1 series it wants; three doors, five doors a hatch; any engine combo and something I'd pay extra for - a friggin' CLOTH INTERIOR!!! They even get "individual" colors and trim.......we get mostly bland. WTF :dunno:

So, we tend to buy higher because the value's almost always there - I was looking at the differences between the content of the 128 vs the 135 - BMW will decontent the 128 just enough to make you want the 135, except it'll probably be priced right up there alongside the 328.

Me, I'd prefer the 328 coupe over any of the one series to be sold here - it'll weigh about the same, be more comfortable, look better, handle really well and I'd never have to worry about "limp-home mode" :rofl:

Ed

#75 ·
I just hope the 135i isn't packed full of sound deadening like the E92 loaner car I had - didn't like that at all, not being able to hear the engine or exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.