BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Power steering hoses leaking at reservoir

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  cn90 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 528i (E39). The power steering hoses are leaking at the reservoir. I replaced the hoses. And the reservoir but the hoses are still leaking. I have gradually been tightening the hose clamps but I am worried that if I tighten them any more that I will break the reservoir. Is there something that I am missing here? Is there suppose to be a seal (washer) or something between the hose and the reservoir?

#2 ·
The reservoir itself may be compromised. The standard fix for leaking power steering hoses is to cut 1/2" of the end of the hose and then reattach the hose with a new hose clamp. If you replaced the hoses already, I would check the reservoir itself.

#3 ·
There are no seals, just a standard fit with a clamp.

When I replaced my hoses last year, I used clamps that are used for fuel injection hoses. I'm still using the original reservoir. The hoses are not leaking at the reservoir.

You might try tightening the clamps. If you still have the old reservoir and hoses, you may want to experiment with those to see how much you can tighten the clamps without breaking the reservoir.

#4 ·
Lots of information can be found by typing /power steering F3 into the bestlinks:

- Power steering fluid (1) (2) & power steering fluid flush DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) & volumes (1) & how to clean the power steering fluid reservoir internal filter (1) (2) & how to replace the cap o-ring (1) (2) & why you want to fix the power steering hose drip onto the alternator (1) (2) (3) & how to debug PSP power steering pump noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1) & a nice power steering pump autopsy photo (1) & how to flush cloudy ATF fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what PS fluid to use (1) (2-pdf) (3-volume) & what volume is needed to buy (1) & DIYs to replace the power steering hoses (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & how to debug common BMW power steering issues (1) and noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1)

#9 ·
I realized that mine had a screw clamp on it. The clamp was loose, and the hose could be rotated on the nozzle. I tightened it up. Do you think that I still need to cut off a 1" piece of the hose?

#5 ·
I did exactly what Bluebee's post shows yesterday, and so far so good.

#6 ·
I have a power steering leak which I need to diagnose as well. I just washed my engine last week so that I can find the exact origin of the leak.

#14 ·
I last did this 7 years ago (May 2006), still good no leak.
What happens is as time goes on, the rubber hardens and the sealing effect is less than perfect.

professorman, don't remove 1 inch, all you need is removing 1/2 inch. This way you bring in "fresh" section of the hose for clamping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.