BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Heater Temp Issue?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  AzNMpower32 
#1 ·
I haven't seen any other topics on it (I'm not great at looking on forums) but now that it's getting colder, I have to use my heater very often. I find that even long after my car (2012 BMW 135i) has warmed up, my interior heater seems to be having issues changing temperatures.

When I have it on 84 (Max) it is very warm, almost hot, so of course I turn it down. I have noticed that when I go from 84 to 83, or 83 to 82 there is a huge drop in the temperature, it doesn't seem to get gradual but almost nonexistent. Temperatures 77-83 seem to be about the same, they are slightly warm but there is no real change by moving up or down. Once I turn it back to 84 it's a back to being hot.

I only have 2000 miles on it so I'm not sure if it's still breaking in? I wouldn't think it would need to break in. Anyone else notice the same thing with their 1 Series?

#2 · (Edited)
It sounds like you are trying to get heat through the dash vents, which requires defeating the AUTO mode. The dash vents will only give hot air when the temp is maxxed out to 84. Why BMW set up the dash vents to only provide heat at the max setting, I have no idea. But it is what it is, and is only an issue if you want air ONLY from those vents.

To normally heat the car, simply push "AUTO" and set the temp for something comfortable like 70o (perhaps starting out at 75o for quicker heating) and let the system work as designed. If you don't need defogging, you can also press the A/C (snowflake button) to defeat the compressor and save some money on gas. The car should warm up just fine with most of the air coming from the floor vents; which makes sense as heat rises. If the car interior still does not warm up, then a trip to the dealer is in order.

Tom

#3 ·
The climate control sends heat thru the footwell and topside "corner" (near the A-pillar) vents by default, NOT the face vents. As mentioned, just use the Automatic setting and let the thing do its job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.