BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My new project - 2000 540iA - progress thread (lots of pics)

20K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  Nervous 
#1 · (Edited)
I just finished my previous project - 2001 330ci 6 speed manual swap (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=901286) and I was thinking to get another project, something like Z3 or maybe even Mini. Or, e39 touring (I still want it, btw). So, on last Sunday I was browsing the local craigslist when I found this:
2000 BMW 540i - $1900
2000 BMW 540i. Orient Blue/Tan Leather 128K miles. Engine needs timing chain guides - car does not run - estimated cost to repair engine is $2,800.00.
Newer tires/brakes, cold a/c - car is in good condition . For sale $1,900.00 obo.
I immediately contacted the seller via email (he didn't put his cell in the ad) - I thought it would be a great deal, if engine survived (timing chain didn't snap and valves are not hit), even if this is automatic. He replied pretty fast:

I do not believe that the chains slipped or any valves have been hit as the car has not been run since it started making the unusual sound caused by the chain running over the damaged plastic guides - the car was shut down immediately. According to the BMW mechanic who will not let it be run it apppears that the plastic covering on the chain guide(s) have shattered and they need to be replaced.

The car is a Orient Blue on Tan Leather 2000 540i automatic with heated seats, 6 disc CD changer with DSP sound. 128,000 miles. The engine ran very strong until this happened. It had synthetic oil changes every 7,500 miles. The mechanic noted that the chain sprocket teeth were not even worn - square shoulders and very clean.

This car had a rebuilt automatic transmission installed by BMW of Towson at 71,000 miles (trans would not shift into reverse gear - a common BMW auto trans. problem).

No tears on the seats (they had sheepskin covers so they are in very good shape for the age of the car). Moderate tint on windows. Brakes and tires have about 10K highway miles. Some minor dings/scratches on body, paint is good.

All lights work. The moonroof does not tilt up but does retract. Non-smoker car.

Also the Alternator was replaced about 2 yrs ago and the ABS module was rebuilt abt 3 yrs ago with a lifetime warranty from BBA Manufacturing.
He also gave me VIN and Autocheck came out clean. Wow. He sent me pics also:

Of course I set an appointment to look at the car as soon as I could (today) and made more pics and inspected the car as hard as I could (I had unlimited time since car is parked at the shop (the one that estimated 2800 for TC guides job) and nobody watched me either).

So, here is the 'inspection report':
Good:
1) engine really looks clean inside
2) body looks good, not much of the dents, paint is in ok shape for the age
3) almost every electric thing works

Expected:
1) oil leaks here and there (valve cover gaskets, power steering)
2) dim headlight lenses due to age
3) interior requires a lot of cleaning

Bad:
1) rear driver's side door's power window doesn't work
2) some cracks on interior parts
3) condensation inside driver's side headlight
4) some cracked parts in engine compartment (not critical though)
5) windshield rubber gasket is completely dried, cracked and destroyed
6) tranny pan leaks some oil (seems to me, but I admit I didn't lift the car)
7) and the worst thing I found (besides all the timing chain guides thing) - I was completely unable to communicate with the car via OBD-II interface. I have several scanners and neither of them was able to connect to the onboard computer. This is what bothers me the most, since there is nothing worst than trying to fix electrical issues in cars.

So, the only issue that bothers me is the #7, I tried to connect PASoft 1.4.0 and INPA (which work fine with my E46) and nada. Maybe, need to reset everything by disconnecting battery, maybe battery didn't have enough juice, maybe something else. Unfortunately, I didn't take a regular ELM327 cable that time. Anyway, will see.

And more over, I started her! She is actually alive! See video of the engine running:
http://youtu.be/-Q9nyJE4afo

And I moved it a bit (a couple fit on R and then back to the spot) - it works!

I contacted the guy by email, sent him my report and he called me back. Considering all negative stuff I found (aside the TC guides issue) we settled the price at $1600! For really good car with really clean engine and plus I found a lot of receipts in the glove box! I definitely wanted to seal the deal tonight and couldn't allow the deal to slip if tomorrow/tonight another potential buyer calls. This happened in the past where I missed 2002 530i 134Kmi with blown auto tranny: I offered 2200, another buyer offered 2300, I offered 2500, he offered 2600 and I passed (and I am glad, since the engine sounded really bad and the owner admitted it was overheated in the past). So, I said we need to do it today and we met at 9pm, signed the title and the car is mine! For just 16 hundred! The ex-owner is a really nice guy, btw.

Need to tow it to my house (15 miles apart), since even though it is driveable I don't think it is a good idea to drive it with broken tc guides, right? And I'll post my progress here with pics and the first what I will do - I'll clean/wash the car. Then - tc guides, vanos, all seals, CCV, etc. Then all fluids (incl tranny and diff) and all other required maintenance (I have yet to learn a lot about e39s). I do not plan 6 spd swap for now (however, I see a deal on 6 spd tranny and driveshaft on CL, I still will try to get them, probably.... For future 540it :) ). I do not plan any mods at the moment (well, may be I'll retrofit steptronic EGS/shifter, will see).

See less See more
#31 ·
Not much of updates yet: don't have time to work on car.
I removed all the parts I am going to replace:

Also started preparation work to replace VANOS seals:

I've ordered VANOS seals from Beisan today.

In a meantime I decided to have a look on fuel filter. I am going to make a big order for all (or most) of the parts and wanted to know if I need the fuel filter as well.
Well, I was surprised. I was told that on 540s the fuel filter is simple - without pressure regulator. Here is what I found:

Obviously, this is the one with the pressure regulator, like my 330ci has. Seems to me only the non-VANOS 540s had fuel filter w/o pressure regulator. Unfortunately, it was impossible to see the production date w/o removing the filter (it is stamped on the top of the filter). So, I removed it:

Yep, 1999 is the production year for this filter, it is the original one. No wonder the fuel drained from it looks like this:

So, will be replaced as well.

#32 ·
I did my chain guide rails a year ago. It took me two solid days of work to complete it. My engine had over 200,000 miles on it when they finally went and is approaching 290,000 miles now. I know how much work is involved and and what all parts should be replaced when doing this job. It looks like you are on the right track. I wouldn't hesitate to do the job again, now that I've done it once. It's not that bad, it's just labor intensive and requires some special tools.

#35 ·
Started to rebuild VANOSes:

BTW, these VANOS bolts are .... tight!

Old seals are out:

It took me some time to remove the rubber ring (not the teflon one). I had to fish it from the bottom of the VANOS shaft.

Inserting new rubber ring:

Inserting teflon ring:

Done:

The last thing to do is to press the VANOS lip. But I'll do it later, once I put the new seals into the second VANOS unit.

#36 ·
Long time no updates, no much of spare time. What is done up to now:
1) Valley pan. I investigated the myth about so called 'revised version' of valley pan and found out that there is none. The valley pan you can currently buy from BMW is ABSOLUTELY the same as I had in my car. Therefore, I decided it is pointless to waste $70+ on it. I just cleaned the old gasket material off the pan and re-applied Toyota FIPG (form-in-place-gasket) and re-installed it:

2) Finished rebuilding of VANOS units, including pressing the lip, ready to install:
Here, on the left side the VANOS with pressed lip and on the right is not yet:

Closer look to the pressed lip:

Both units are completely done and aligned:

BTW, the VANOS press is on sale now! Let me know if interested.

3) Installed new fuel filter.

4) Pre-fit new DEPO smoked headlight lenses (just lenses, I am keeping my stock OEM xenons), installed DEPO smoked side markers:

Along with Hella smoked LED tails car should look gorgeous:

BTW, does anybody interested in tail light ballasts? I got retrofit kit, but since I've updated LCM I don't really need the ballasts.....

Now I am preparing big orders to www.thebmwpartstore.com, www.autohausaz.com and www.rmeuropean.com to get all the parts I need to start engine assembly. Hopefully will do it on coming Friday.

#37 · (Edited)
Update. Finally, making some progress. Last weekend I made big one, comparing with previous time. The reason: I finally ordered and received all necessary parts from favorite vendors and the main one is www.thebmwpartstore.com (other two: www.autohausaz.com and www.rmeuropean.com). Here is the box from www.thebmwpartstore.com:

A was impressed that is such big order they made no mistakes: no missed parts at all! Impressive!

Replaced camshaft rings:

While having easy access to heater hoses I replaced all of them:

Rebuilt camshaft chain tensioners (O-rings replaced too):

Installed oil distribution pieces and all new tc guides/rails:

Installed camshaft chain tensioners, vanos units, exhaust sprokets and chains, and timing chain:

Following Beisan and TIS procedures, I set vanos in correct state and tighten vanos and exhaust sprocket bolts (81 and 92 lbs ft respectively):

And, at last for the weekend, I correctly positioned the camshaft position sensor rings:

BTW, here is an old oil filter with a lot of aluminum shavings came off the lower timing cover while timing chain slapped:

#39 ·
Long time with no updates. I almost assembled the engine. Some pics to follow.
1) Installing a new front crankshaft seal. As you can see, the VANOS press tool from Beisan was helpful to me here.

2) I also have finally bought this big guy:

3) Installed lower timing chain cover:

4) Upper tc covers:

5) water pump, vanos solenoids, etc

More pics to come soon....

#42 ·
A quick update: the car is running, was inspected and registered. Still have some ideas about improving it, but due to work and the fact that we are moving to another state soon I have to postpone all the work on all my cars (other than maintenance).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.