BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

california owners emissions

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  infoteknerd 
#1 ·
moving to CA with my 2005 300i ZHP. any issues, concerns, things I need to be aware of in regards to emissions standards?

im new to this crazy place they call california, its in the united states right? :p

#2 ·
They`ll check for the proper level of nitrogen in your tires....

#4 ·
California emissions are here:
- California smog emissions for BMW vehicles (1)

Last week, I had a long talk with Mike McCarthy (m+his-last-name@arb.ca.gov) about OBD codes in California.

Mike manages the CARB OBD program for California (626-771-3614).

He is a very knowledgeable guy who knows the entire history of FTP drive cycles, OBD test requrements, and smog test laws and regulations.

He provided more detail than I could handle (most of which went over my head), but, it's important to note that the legislature voted to allow OBD-only tests in California, but, the infrastructure won't be in place by January next year - and most likely won't be in place for a while.

Mike said 31 states do smog tests but California had to fight the EPA to do decentralized tests. The EPA wanted centralized tests - so California implemented the 'hybrid' system of 'test only' stations and 'test-and-repair stations' to meet the EPA requirements of centralization. For the past year, they have been rating smog test & smog test-and-repair stations, giving each a STAR rating.

Today, every two years you have to get a smog test at either a test-only station or at a test-and-repair station. But, he said, fraud is rampant, so they're going to mail you a note that requires you to go to a station with a high rating. The system isn't in place, but an example would be a five-star rating where in order to register, you can only go to a five-star rated test station. They are doing this to cut down on fraud.

Another thing he told me is that a California dyno smog test cycle is NOT the BMW FTP test, nor the federal FTP-75 test (details at http://dieselnet.com). It's a special shortened California-only version of the drive trace that works well on a dyno.

Mike also mentioned that it takes two cycles for a CEL to go on (first one gives the pending DTC); and it takes 3 complete drive cycles for the CEL to go out.

For more information, Mike suggested I contact smogcheck.ca.gov.

EDIT: For information on the OBD readiness monitors, I called the Department of Consumer affairs 800-952-5210 where you can actually talk to 'former mechanics' who are now 'technical advisors' or 'consumer assistance representatives' for the state of California who will discuss with you your smog test questions.

At the Department of Consumer Affairs, I spoke with "Marvin" who explained that, in California, a 1996 to 2000 vehicle can pass smog with 2 monitors not ready but that a 2001 to current vehicle can have only 1 monitor not ready and still pass smog tests. He said many technicians still fail the car because they want to have high STAR scores.

In addition, Marvin said that new OBD tests will check your air conditioning because they assume if your ac isn't working that you're leaking freon into the atmosphere just like they check your fuel system, again assuming vapors will leak out into the atmosphere. So it's not just engine emissions that are being monitored.
Here's mine, for example:

#6 ·
Smog

My experience with California smog is that if you keep your car reasonably maintained, it's tough to fail. The maximum allowable values are high enough to never hit on a healthy BMW engine. So unless you have a CEL that you've been ignoring for the last couple years, I think you'll be ok. Every other year only.

If the place is legit, it will go through visual inspections and the sniffer. Every shop will try to "negotiate" the price higher for the test, but if you pay under $40 out the door I think you've done ok.

Here's my last two tests for the 325 for reference on what to expect. Click for a bigger image.

2010 :
BMW Smog 2010

2012:
BMW Smog 2012

#10 ·
northern, far east bay. talking to my brother in law who lives in sacramento county, they have a rule during the winter that you can only wash your car before 10am and after 7pm on saturday or sunday! thats a sin, period!

#18 ·
not to turn this into a bitching match, but you're overall tax burden living in NY is higher than CA if you own a home. if you don't own a home, CA has one of the highest tax burdens in the U.S.

#19 ·
Welcome to CA! Great choice on NorCal.

I have a friend who owns and runs a smog only test center and also owns an E46 M3, he's said no probs on smog with BMWs. I have the same exact 2005 330i ZHP that passed smog at his place last year without issues. Your troublespots will be bad O2 sensors or cats and CEL lights that hasn't had 200-500 miles to clear. Of course these troublespots apply to all cars not just BMW.

Your only probs if you commute from the East Bay to South Bay, are Priuses (we tend to have the most Eco righteous of them all here, loving to force slowness to all via hypermiling in all lanes), inconsiderate left most lane drivers and randomly beat up flying articles on the freeways. Happy commuting otherwise.

My best experience the other day was pulling in front of an Eco-terrorist Prius the was going 55 mph in the fast lane, slowed to 40 mph then as I was pulling away, seeing CHP lights pulling it over; hopefully for going too slow. Yes, about frigging time the cops do something about these menaces causing traffic jams. Btw, my intent was for the Prius to move over and change lanes, guess his stubbornness got the best of him. :p

#20 ·
Welcome to CA! Great choice on NorCal.

I have a friend who owns and runs a smog only test center and also owns an E46 M3, he's said no probs on smog with BMWs. I have the same exact 2005 330i ZHP that passed smog at his place last year without issues. Your troublespots will be bad O2 sensors or cats and CEL lights that hasn't had 200-500 miles to clear. Of course these troublespots apply to all cars not just BMW.

Your only probs if you commute from the East Bay to South Bay, are Priuses (we tend to have the most Eco righteous of them all here, loving to force slowness to all via hypermiling in all lanes), inconsiderate left most lane drivers and randomly beat up flying articles on the freeways. Happy commuting otherwise.

My best experience the other day was pulling in front of an Eco-terrorist Prius the was going 55 mph in the fast lane, slowed to 40 mph then as I was pulling away, seeing CHP lights pulling it over; hopefully for going too slow. Yes, about frigging time the cops do something about these menaces causing traffic jams. Btw, my intent was for the Prius to move over and change lanes, guess his stubbornness got the best of him. :p
Haha, nice. I have started to notice the Prius revolution out here. Just got the call from the shipping company today and they're picking up the ZHP tomorrow. I'll be sweating for the next 6 days during transit.... :eeps:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.