BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil change after break-in period?

7K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  bmw_or_audi 
#1 ·
hi all,

Just curious if anyone replaces the oil after break in period? I don't think the dealership would offer this?

#6 ·
I'm also interested in this topic. I got about 2,500 on my 335i sport and I'm thinking I'll pay for first one in spring.
I've read allot of threads on this and what I got out is.... There is no harm in doing it. But there COULD be harm if not done. I don't think anyone has any solid proof and mostly it's about what makes you feel better.
So, for me little money is worth it. Otherwise I'll wonder if I should have done it if something goes wrong later. BTW, I'm wanting to keep this for a long time. If you are not then don't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#7 ·
I got about 2,500 on my 335i sport and I'm thinking I'll pay for first one in spring.
I encourage you to do it yourself as this is the easiest oil change you will ever do. It's literally a ten minute process.

In addition to BMW labeled oil, the approved oils are:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

#9 ·
Just curious why you would say this. Is it easier than a later oil change, for example? Or do you just mean in an F30 car?
I think he means in general.

The filter is under the hood, near the front of the engine, the oil plug is easily accessible under the engine, youll probably spend more time setting up the ramps than changing the oil

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App

#20 ·
Btwy, Audi now does the first oil change at 5K, and then every 10K afterwards.

For the A4 at least, it has been claimed at various times that the factory oil is a little different, supposedly tailored for some sort of a break-in, and that changing it prematurely is not a good idea. But I have no idea whether that is true or not :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.