BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sticky plastic interiors

8K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Charlievpr 
#1 ·
Just got a used 2009 X5 3.01si. Upgraded from an x3. Unfortunately I did not notice that the passenger side arm rest was sticky. Its made of plastic and its the only one that has this problem. I've heard of using alcohol to remove the stickiness, but I don't want to damage the leather. Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 ·
I'd first try some warm water with gentle soap. If that didn't work I've had good luck with Meguiars leather line. The stuff in my garage was purchased at Autozone. Meguiars Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner. It's worked for me when the kids spill ice cream on the back seats. Even found a mummified lollipop back there once. Cleans right up. Good luck.

#4 ·
Post on detail sub forum under best of Bimmerfest. Very helpful and knowledgable peeps there.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#7 ·
Before you screw something else up, why not post a picture of this part?

IMO you'll probably wan to replace this part....

#9 ·
The pull handle on my passenger door turned into sticky goo so I've ordered the new handle and plan to put it on when my running boards and mudflaps come in. This was the inside pad of the door pull on my vehicle and of course I didn't notice it when I test drove the vehicle. Depending on which part it is exactly replacement might be best if it's nothing major.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#10 ·
I/ve thought about doing this, but I don't know if its something I can handle. I've taken the door panel off of a Toyota Sequoia, but this may be completely different. Appreciate your help and suggestion. I'll be posting a picture as soon as I get the car back from the dealer.

#11 ·
I asked a garage to take off and re-seat a door panel on my '08 once and they warned me because of age that if they remove it, there may be brittle wiring (for lights) that may break apart. It turned out fine, but be careful when you remove the paneling that you don't tug it away too far or hard.

#12 ·
A local garage is going to charge $40 to put the handle on so I'll probably let them take the risk of replacing it! Any garage should be able to handle such a task, but I'd make sure to ask around to see who people use the most!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.