BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need help with broken O2 sensor wire please.

10K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BMWFatherFigure 
#1 ·
Hello all and as much as it pains me to post a question I really need some help. I have searched but no luck with the info I need so here goes.

I have a 95 740i that has a cut wire past the oxygen sensor connector. The actual O2 sensor on the drivers side pre cat is in place and the male/female connection is fine. Once you pass where the connection is heading towards the engine it is broken. The wire was on the exhaust and burned and basically cut in half. I have been searching to figure out where the plug goes after the connection. The only diagrams I found are through the exhaust which shows the plugs but not where they lead to , what they plug into next or how it is routed.

Does anyone know where I can find the information I have looked through endless schematics and diagrams with no luck. I would like to replace the wire that is broken with the correct part from where ever it connects leading to the oxygen sensor. Ive been using the forum and usually I can find the information but this time I am stuck:( , To be clear I guess I would ask where does the wire come from that plugs into the oxygen sensor? Im guessing ECU or Fuel management? I am hoping that it is just another plug at the opposite end because I am color blind and can not rewire things.

after a MAF, thermostat housing, OSV, vacuum hoses and sparkplugs Im almost there and Im pretty sure this is my last problem so thanks for all the help so far and any help here would be great.

See less See more
#2 ·
From the wiring diagrams it looks like it leads to the wires being bunched together (only 2, O2 on my 95 e38) and then sent to the oxygen sesnor relay. I still can not find the junction point on how they attach and where. I am hoping there is a part I can purchase that is like factory connections rather then have to find someone that is not color blind to tap and extend wires from under the heat shield.

Everything under my car is covered with the panels, I have a stone driveway and on the creeper I can barely get under the car so I hope you understand I am not being lazy sure I could just "look" under the car and trace the wire by hand but it is useless if I dont have the part so I would just rather know if there is a oxygen sensor harness that plugs in and then leads to the fuses/relay or are they just spliced in by one of the pins and I am up the creek without a paddle?

#5 ·
just wanted to prove that I would get a response once I posted some money , if you think 50 bucks is cheap for soldering 4 wires together let me know how much you pay for the crack you smoke. You cant fix the problem and didnt answer the main questions I posted so why would I pay you more to work on my car? Oh thats right you cant fix it or you would have made a counter offer! Im sure you will reply with some dumb remark like you already did but the only thing you can say now is?

#6 ·
Usually, labor is $70+/hour, and once you are in they charge at least an hour, that's why I said is cheap. And those O2 sensor wires are kind of special, not easy to solder.
BTW: When I can, I help. If you didn't get the answers for your questions doesn't mean you can insult people.
This is a technical BMW forum. Let's keep it this way.

#9 ·
OK so I would like to ask the same original question. I have a 2000 528 and the Wire melted on the Header. Its not all that bad I was able to seperate the wires and re insulate them. However if that Wire leads to a Plug I'd like to replace it. However I thinks its part of the Engine Wireing Harness and is not easy to replace. I would think that a wire that relys on a couple of clips to keep it off the Header would be replaceable, but I have been wrong before.

#10 ·
Go to a wrecker and cut out the part of the loom you need and go from there. Stagger the joints and shrink sleeve them. Should look original if you are any good. BTW I understood the 'Cheap' reply was refering to the job price not the poster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.