BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E30 325i 1990 2dr. Oil leak

9K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  cjmertz 
#1 ·
This is my first post, so bare with me...
I have a 1990 e30 325i with quite a bad oil leak that I can see dripping mostly from the subframe, and the oil pan. I have replaced the oil pan gasket, and the valve cover gasket, and the leak has not slowed. I'm running 5w 30 motor oil, and the car has 212,000 miles on it.
I can also see the leak coming from under the exhaust headers primarily to the front of the engine. Any ideas on where this could be coming from? Any input would be greatly appreciated. ***128522;

#3 ·
OP,
I recommend you carefully wash the engine to remove the old oil deposits. Next start the vehicle and let it idle for 5 minutes. This should give you clear indication of the location of your leaks. Check to oil filter mount o-rings, oil pressure sender, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, oil pump intermediate shaft seal, valve cover half moons, and the dreaded head gasket. Good luck.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for the new info! I didn't mention before, but the oil pressure sending unit was also replaced.
ill give my engine some good cleaning and scrubbing when I can get to a car hoist.
another question... would a thicker oil cause the oil to leak faster? im thinking about running 15w 50.

#6 ·
would a thicker oil cause the oil to leak faster? im thinking about running 15w 50.
Are you seriously considering changing the "rate of leak" by going for a thicker oil :dunno:
In my 20+ years of building engines I have not yet heard such...
I know Alcohol thins blood, now how do I thicken it

#8 ·
It was just a question guys... ha!
but I saw in other forums that people were slowing leaks by going to a thicker oil.

Kamotors, where will this oil return tube be located? I cant find it on a part diagram.
and remember, the majority of my leaking is dripping from the middle of the subframe, also oil is now leaking from what appears to be a steel support of some sort near the back of the tranny.

#11 ·
I now see the light
Drinking large quantities of Alcohol And eating plenty of fatty meat will help
:rofl:
Therefore I will aslo continue running my Diffs & gearboxes on a mixture of banana peels & sawdust...
I know that we used to get worried, when RandLovers stopped leaking oil ;)

#12 ·
Guys I cant see oil leaking from my oil return tube! Are there any other places that I could possible leaking oil from?
you can see ALOT of the oil dripping down from the suspension arm on the passenger side of the engine block. its just gathering oil.
I tried cleaning as much as I could, but I just cant find anything.

#14 ·
Clean clean clean and look. Use a mirror. That much oil should be obvious. If you still cant find it - clean, run, and then pull off manifolds. If that fails take the engine out.

#15 ·
Has this oil leak issue been resolved? here's a longshot...I once found the oil press swx leaking, engine oil was being pumped thru the engine electrical harness..and across the fire wall...yes,from the bootie on the swx and INTO the harness via the heat shrink tubing used to protect the oil press swx wire in the harness loom.
Crazy I know but true..., The O/P SWX bootie was so tightly esealed to the swx and harness there was no visual sign of oil at the SWX...only when removing the bootie on the swx was the leak found.
Give the O/P a good look. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.