BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Totalled

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  zaleonardz 
#1 ·
i wrecked my 530i so sad. i am thinking of buying a 850i that i could get for a good price anyone have any comments id love too hear them. thanks JOHN

#2 ·
So sorry to hear about your wreck. I hope you are okay. The 850 is no doubt a beautiful sexy car, but their reputation is one of needing constant work and maintenance and they are difficult to work on to boot.

Post pics her if you get one (even though it is not a beloved E34 :()

#4 ·
yes im fine thanks for your compassion. BMR LVR ive only heard good things about 850s thats intresting, thanks for the heads up. and im sorry to say that i am not parting it out. the insurance company now owns it. Plus the only thing still in tacked is the trunk. hahaha.

#8 ·
The 8 is very demanding but can be rewarding. I think a better bet would be a 635. Just as sweet and less demanding although the M70 is bulletproof. Totally your call..

#10 ·
No i was in the car when it got smashed. i was going straight and a guy ran a red light and i plowed into him. it took more damage on the passenger side so i was ok just some bumps and bruises. I really do appriciate all your guys advice on not getting an 8 series but i love working on cars and tinkering so i think im going to buy it. Even if it is a stupid decision. Speady its a 1991 850i with 130k. Thanks JOHN

#13 ·
Sorry to hear about your car but the most important thing is that you're OK. How long did you have the 530 for?

I like working on cars too (that's why I bought my 530), but it can be challenging at times. If you think you're up for a challenge I would go for the 8- it is a sweet car :thumbup:

#14 · (Edited)
Well v8bimmer, you got me curious so I did a little searching. I came across this AMAZING 850CSI site:

http://www.mcsmk8.com/91-850/BMW850.HTM

I definitely can see the attraction to this sexy beast !

You gotta stay in touch with us if you get it.

Steve (drooling)

PS: I know that you are looking at the 850i, not 850CSI, but one can always dream right?

#16 ·
ok so i test drove it and checked it out. It drives like a dream tons of power and rides like your on a cloud. only problem is its as heavy as a tank and weighs a ton. the engine runs beautiful. no problems what so ever. rebuilt throttle bodys all new seals new dinnian chips new tranny oil and o rings. omost brand new engine. only problem is the interior is trashed. seats are torn and hundreds of missing peices. i dont know if it is worth it. those parts are hard to find.

oh roberto i plowed into him but it was his fault cause he ran the red light. He had huge wheel spacers so i barley even touched his car but i did #$%^ up his steering and front end. :) Jack@#$

#17 ·
I would tend to worry that, if he let the interior get to that shape, how did he really take care of the mechanicals of the car. Yeah, like you said, the parts would be a bear to find. But .... you did say you like to work on cars, so maybe this could be a good project for you.

#18 ·
Bud, sorry bout your mishap, sad that a 530 bit the dust :(

If it had a manual transmission, you should get some good money for that, as the 540 guys would love that gearbox, its a direct swap.

As for the 850, dont get me wrong, that is a beyond amazing vehicle, and my left nut to own one, but that M70 is a differant kettle of fish all together, it runs 3, count them 3 ECU's just for the motor, and its not for the faint hearted, also not many people can work on them as its still ADS based, so any electrical problem, and your going to be scrambling to find somebody that can do the repair, and thats if you overlook the cost of the cost of the parts.

My advise would be to go for the more sane 840, it runs the M60 motor, which is far more common (540,740,840), and should you have issues, you have a great deal more options...

Thats just my view :)

and again, sorry for your troubles :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.