BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

for 6MT owners

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bmw_enthusiasm 
#1 · (Edited)
For those of you who don't have the M package, but maybe have the sports or non-sports at all;

I just wanted to share the satisfaction I am getting from changing the 6MT aluminum gear shift knob on my sports package with an M - sports knob.
This knob is a must have for all of us 6MT'ers

It is highly recommended to change this knob if you have the metal one. The M knob shifts so intuitively.

The difference is in weight and balance. The M knob feels 3-4 times heavier and COMPLETELY vibration free. When you shift, the center of mass appears to hit the 'magic' spot...

Apart from this, the hood that it comes with is not the dakota leather that comes with the stock, but Napa black soft leather.
This can match if you have napa leather or if you don't its still awesome.

Installation took me 27 seconds. (completely "plug and play")

For me, it was virtually impossible to find the exact part on 3 different dealers but I did
and then it had to be special ordered from Germany ($300ish) took 2 weeks but its worth every single penny.

When it arrived, they called me and they were gathered around me
I asked them whats up? and they were like...aren't you going to open the box?
we are all so eager to see it! :rofl:

Anyway, I went through a lot to find this part No so here you go enthusiasts!

Part #: 25112284056

when you order if they ask you for a VIN # pretend you have these last 4 digits: C271293

(thats from a regular 550i M package)

2 out of 3 dealerships said that it is not possible to order it because its too new
but the third did it, so don't get frustrated on the first attempt.
:bigpimp:

See less See more
#2 ·
It's amazing how little things like this can make such a big difference. But they do.

#5 ·
Believe it or not, one of the best (smoothest, easiest to shift) transmissions I ever had was in a 1985 Peugeot 505 Turbo. The shape and location of the lever were perfect. If I dropped my hand from the steering wheel, palm down, in the right direction, it was the perfect 1-2 shift. And that shift knob was hard plastic.

#9 ·
Best shifter I ever used was in my 1991 300ZX. I believe the shifter worked through rods, not cables, and was very close to hand from the steering wheel, and very close to the transmission. As a result, the shift action was literally like the bolt on a fine rifle. Heavy, direct and just perfectly notchy.

#8 · (Edited)
It is identical with the M sports package on the F10 6MT it is not an accessory its the actual part
if you already have it and think its just a knob
you need to see what the regular sports package or non-sports comes with :dunno:

I can post picture within the upcoming weekend.

Regarding the $300 I suppose this is one of the extras you get when you pay the extra $1000 for the M sports package vs regular sports package

So with $ 1000 extra on the M sports package 6MT, you get this, the F-16 like front bumber.
(and the two piece different colored rear bumber)....sounds like a deal to me?..:thumb up:

Note that the M3 knob that is similar also about $360

#12 · (Edited)
There you go here is a pic:

Note I am now selling this since I will be stepping out of this car soon
its two weeks old and I offer it for 2/3 of the price
Feel free to contact me if you are interested or have an offer.

For those of you who don't have the M package, but maybe have the sports or non-sports at all;

I just wanted to share the satisfaction I am getting from changing the 6MT aluminum gear shift knob on my sports package with an M - sports knob.
This knob is a must have for all of us 6MT'ers

It is highly recommended to change this knob if you have the metal one. The M knob shifts so intuitively.

The difference is in weight and balance. The M knob feels 3-4 times heavier and COMPLETELY vibration free. When you shift, the center of mass appears to hit the 'magic' spot...

Apart from this, the hood that it comes with is not the dakota leather that comes with the stock, but Napa black soft leather.
This can match if you have napa leather or if you don't its still awesome.

Installation took me 27 seconds. (completely "plug and play")

For me, it was virtually impossible to find the exact part on 3 different dealers but I did
and then it had to be special ordered from Germany ($300ish) took 2 weeks but its worth every single penny.

When it arrived, they called me and they were gathered around me
I asked them whats up? and they were like...aren't you going to open the box?
we are all so eager to see it! :rofl:

Anyway, I went through a lot to find this part No so here you go enthusiasts!

Part #: 25112284056

when you order if they ask you for a VIN # pretend you have these last 4 digits: C271293

(thats from a regular 550i M package)

2 out of 3 dealerships said that it is not possible to order it because its too new
but the third did it, so don't get frustrated on the first attempt.
:bigpimp:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.