BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

negotiation tips and/or advice

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  LycanNyc 
#1 ·
So again, I've been stalking the F10 boards for about a year now. And am close to making my purchase.

I got great advice from reading a whole lot on this forum and google research. I found a 535d pretty much exactly like I want it at a dealer who has 4 diesels in that price range. Didn't let them know I only really want the one and came in and drove another (the 1 I want is getting bumper work at a BMW shop, this normal?).

Well I also have access to my friends Manheim psw. Looking at the cars carfax provided by the dealer its "Personal lease vechicle" from Oxnard CA, then is was sold at Pacific SW auctions in March. I went back to Manheim Riverside and sure enough I find the exact car millage and color.......sold for 48,250. Cars listed at $53,500 right now.

I'm assuming I can use this information to my benefit. How much wiggle room can I expect to play with? I plan purchasing (not leasing) using cash down, trading in my 530i if its a decent offer and Financing the rest. So they have the 3 ways to make $ off me :), they should wiggle on the car price a little.

Just wondering what I should offer or expect to pay? Should I be weary of a car that was only leased for 5-6 months and 8k miles, then auctioned? Its not a fleet vechile like one of the other diesels they have, but it could have been an employees or something although the carfax/autocheck says "personal lease vehicle."

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am not sure what to make of the 6 month lease, I would ask the dealer for the maintenance record of the car. If the car is fairly new, dealers usually mark up it up around $5K to $6K, they expect to make at least half of that in profit. Trading in a 2002 might not be plus for the dealer as some dealer auction out cars that are too old. I would simply put a fair offer on the table, somewhere around $50K, and if they do not take it, walk away and check back in a few weeks later if the car is still available. Good Luck.

#3 ·
Negotiate the price of the car separate from trade-in, down payment, etc. Be willing to walk away if you don't like the deal. When I bought mine I gave them an out-the-door price that I would pay that day. I was willing to walk and let them know it. On my deal (2012 535i, ~45K miles) I paid $5 more than their asking price out-the-door.

#12 ·
I got my 2015 BMW 528i with a $58,750 MSRP for $454.13/month - 39 month lease. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal. I was able to negotiate it down $49,806. Look for incentives on Edmunds and TrueCar and get the dealers to fight for your business...pit them against each other.
Also make sure you use the BMW MSD program. it can save you a lot on interest.
Nice deal!

The MSRP for a 2015 with the options you want list for $69000, even with $10K off, you are still looking at $59000.
If you are comfortable with the price of the car, you should have put a deposit down on it. You need to be more flexible when looking for a used car, just the fact that you only want a diesel limit your chance of finding one by quite a bit.
+1

#8 ·
Well, I offered about 50-51k, they came back with $500 off at 53,000. Told them I couldn't do that on Saturday but most likely Monday after sleeping on it.

They sold it to someone else on Saturday :(.

So now what? Im back to the drawing board as there isn't a used 535d built like that one. It wasn't the exact dream car as it didn't have comfy seats, so maybe this is for the better.

If I find on across the land or down in SoCal, can I contact a board sponser and deal with them? I know what I want just need it to show up again and not get burned trying to deal with the CA.

Bummed out for sure, was so close to finally driving my 535d. Hoping a one shows up exactly like I like to make this all worth it. (looking for White, M-sport, CA, LED, comfy seats, rear view cameras).

#9 ·
Well, I offered about 50-51k, they came back with $500 off at 53,000. Told them I couldn't do that on Saturday but most likely Monday after sleeping on it.

They sold it to someone else on Saturday :(.

So now what? Im back to the drawing board as there isn't a used 535d built like that one. It wasn't the exact dream car as it didn't have comfy seats, so maybe this is for the better.

If I find on across the land or down in SoCal, can I contact a board sponsor and deal with them? I know what I want just need it to show up again and not get burned trying to deal with the CA.

Bummed out for sure, was so close to finally driving my 535d. Hoping a one shows up exactly like I like to make this all worth it. (looking for White, M-sport, CA, LED, comfy seats, rear view cameras).
I would be willing to sacrifice one of my wants. I really didn't want another silver car when I was looking for my 535 (had silver since '91!), but would have settled if my other wants were met. Thankfully Sophisto Grau (DGII) is far enough from silver for me, though I would have rather had Carbon Black or Black Sapphire.

#10 ·
yeah I was sacrificing one or two of them for that car I was looking at. But they went and sold it instead of waiting a few more hours for me. Been depressed every since :). Figure I can keep waiting and I'll find the perfect one eventually, but would really rather have that one they just sold :).

I read in the "Best deal for a F10" sticky thread some guy last August paid $52.5 for a new 2014 one that was listed at over 60K. How do you find CA's or board sponsers who can hook that up? Theres a few 2015 and even 2014 still considered new around the country.....I'd love to get one of those at 52.5 ish.

#11 ·
The MSRP for a 2015 with the options you want list for $69000, even with $10K off, you are still looking at $59000.
If you are comfortable with the price of the car, you should have put a deposit down on it. You need to be more flexible when looking for a used car, just the fact that you only want a diesel limit your chance of finding one by quite a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.