BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Unable to setup messages with iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1

13K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Art234 
#1 ·
I have been unable to get messaging working between my iPhone 5 iOS 6.01 and my M5.

The issue is that once I pair the phone, and then go to configure bluetooth device, it doesn't have a checkbox for Office. It only has check boxes for Telephone, Audio, and Additional Telephone.

I also noticed that when I initially pair it, the iPhone bluetooth configuration does not have the check box for notifications. Once I exit the configuration process, it appears. I then turn notifications on, but the car still won't offer me a checkbox for Office.

Anyone solved this before?

#3 ·
I have now got SMS messages coming through into iDrive from my iPhone 4 with IOS6 on my 2011 335i.

You need to get the latest Bluetooth update from www.bmw.com/bluetooth , enter your VIN and put the firmware bin file on a USB stick and upload the file into your iDrive via the BMW Firmware Update section.

SMS messages will only work as the email part of the new IOS 6 pushing emails thru to the iDrive has a bug.

Delete the existing iPhone pairing and re-do.

Under Settings, Bluetooth in your iPhone, go to the devices connected where it shows your BMW has paired, open that and turn on "Show Notifications".

Then under Settings in your iPhone go to "Notications" then under each heading "Phone" "Messages" "Mail" make sure you have the following turned on:
Notification Centre ON
Alert Style Alerts
Badge App Icon ON
Show Preview ON
View in Locked Screen ON

In iDrive you also need to tick "Office" in the bluetooth options. Then you get 3 options under "Office" in the main iDrive menu (Contacts, Office Today and Messages) where you can filter messages.

The TXT messages will only transfer to your idrive when your iPhone goes to sleep and has a blank screen (Locked) hence the View in Locked Screen, without this setting and your iphone has turned itself to Locked will the message be transferred, if you open the iPhone to view the messages they won't transfer to the iDrive, iPhone must turn itself to lock so set your iPhone to lock after 1 Minute in settings.

Emails are the same but that has a bug at the moment. Hopefully this should be fixed by Apple soon as it was working in their beta IOS6.

I'm pretty sure you need cars fitted with the Combox interface, so that means only recent models.

Enjoy!!

#6 ·
Thanks for this info! I don't see how to download the firmware once I input my VIN. I think this may be the root of my issue with sound quality on my iPhone 5 - people tell me it's horrible.

If you could help, would be appreciate. Thanks!

#21 ·
For the life of me I just cannot get my e-mails (only text) to come through, I have iPhone 5 OS 6.01 and I updated to the latest BMW firmware & turn on all the iphone notifications, can someone please help and so I don't pull anymore of my hair out.

Thanks.

#22 ·
What I found was that after a couple of drives, a new option appeared on the iPhone. Under Bluetooth>BMWxxxxx>click on the little arrow to the right>notifications set to on. This then caused the messages to start working, although even then only messages that arrive while you are connected in the car, and not all unread messages.

#23 ·
What I found was that after a couple of drives, a new option appeared on the iPhone. Under Bluetooth>BMWxxxxx>click on the little arrow to the right>notifications set to on. This then caused the messages to start working, although even then only messages that arrive while you are connected in the car, and not all unread messages.
I've research and done eveything, including updating software and turning on all the notification, but I am still not getting any e-mails for my iPhone 5 OS 6.01? Is there any other tricks (like walking away, turn on/off notification within certain time, dance around naked, etc.)

I'm desperate for anyone's help, thanks.

#5 ·
Icu - I am following the directions except I am not getting an option to check office under Bluetooth device configuration.

#12 ·
Thanks. Says I am running the latest software. Hmmmm.

#11 ·
Do you have an iPhone? We're you able to get this to work?

I was really looking forward to the dragondrive messaging. This is very disappointing. I had SMS on my 550i.

#15 ·
For iPhone 5 running on OS 6.01 we can only get SMS message not e-mails, until further update from BMW/Apple.

#25 ·
This has actually been discussed many times. Apple does not want emails to be accessed, only SMS. However there is a bug in which email can be displayed under SMS not E-mails. Each time you start the car, let the phone pair with the car, then on the iphone go into Settings--Notifications--Mail--Show, then change the number of unread items to something else. If 5 Unread is checked, then change to 10 unread Items, or vice versa. This has to be done everytime you start the car up. As I said, its a bug in the system, and will probably not work in future iOS versions.

#27 ·
Thank you so much my fellow Bimmerfester, by changing the number of unread items each time on the iPhone the e-mails are now coming through. It's a pain in the rear but with a 90-minute drive each day it helps to get through some e-mails. I am hoping BMW will update its software shortly to fix the bug. My Blackberry never had such problems.

Thanks again and happy holidays.:)

#26 ·
Thanks icu for your post.

I have a 2011 build date Oct 2010 w/ the combox. Before I went to the website, I went out to my car to write down what software ver I currently have and it shows bluetooth ver TX-003.004.031 So I went to the website put in my VIN# and chose Verizon and then iPhone 5, it showed that an update is available for my car.

It said Bluetooth software version after I do the software update will now be: TX-003.005.004 So I put the file on a memory stick and went to my idrive and downloaded the update, it said my car had to be running to do the update, so after the update processed. I checked to see what software I currently have and it shows: TX-003.005.005

So that means the downloaded file contains a newer ver than what it states on the website because it said I was going to get TX-003.005.004 but I actually now have TX-003.005.005

My iphone 5 has not arrived yet still on order, so I can't try it out yet, but my Htc droid incredible still works like it did before. I just hope when my new iphone arrives it will work with the new lightening cable and I don't have to get the 30 pin adapter.

#29 · (Edited)
I just picked up an iphone5 yesterday...replacing BB which had email functionality. I do get emails and text but I do have to change mail notification from banner to alert then lock the phone every time I enter car...right after phone connects. Only do this for long drives. Once connected...phone can be unlocked and emails and texts still come through or just keep it locked and same thing 5 sec procedure for those who really want email. I used it very little with my BB so while I am glad to have it available...not a critical feature

#32 ·
SMS integration is working excellent for me. I don't have to change anything when I get in the car, it always works.

Only problem I have been having is that my DragonDrive outbound messaging isnt working. It works for wdimagineer but not for me. That's annoying because I really badly need this feature.

#34 ·
I have an iPhone 4S on the media cradle which I just updated to iOS 6.01. I see no difference between 6.0 and 6.01 in terms of functionality. All the message menus are still there, I still apparently get text messages, and emails if I turn off alerts and turn back on again.

My other phone is a Galaxy Nexus operating with Android Jelly Bean, 4.1, I get no messages at all...FWIW. I thought 4.1 incorporated MAP protocol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.