BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sent out for a Maaco job...

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  dirty325is 
#1 ·
Bought an inexpensive 318is as a winter project that needed paint badly. The body and frame was rust free and the drive train was solid. Previous owner tried to repaint the car because of peeling clear coat and did a horrible job. Not to mention painting over dings and dents.

I immediately started the prep work for paint. My intention was to do make the body as smooth as possible for an inexpensive Maaco paint job.

Did a complete suspension overhaul between body prep.

373 med case freshened up.....

Off to Maaco and fingers crossed........

...............and back........

with caps.......

Still need an IS lip and more freshen but it's coming along.......

See less See more
#5 ·
The car runs really well and idles perfect. I contemplated doing the "mess under intake mod" but she purs like a kitten. I may do it as a safe measure this winter however.

The gold paint on the wheels was just too see how it look kind of thing. I will more than likely go with Kosie K1 soon.

The gold is way off from the original BBS gold but for a $6 can it look decent.

#7 ·
Paid $1500 for the car and $899 for the paint job. I'm happy with the out come. I've learned that you must do your own prep in order for Maaco to turn out right. They have a really good spray facility but lack the time necessary to to do good prep work. The one I used does 30 paint jobs per week.

#9 ·
Gotta be proud of a car like that..............

#12 ·
The prep work was relatively easy. I did the molding removal and blocking myself. My friend that does body work pulled the dents. I would highly recommend blocking and removing as many trim pieces as possible to make the paint job smooth as possible. Maaco can actually shoot really well so long as the surface is smooth and prepped. I will be using them for all my future needs. My z3 bumper will be going in next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.