BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Engine Air Filters???

974 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  soldmystang 
#1 ·
My Indie was doing some work on my '08 4.8i the other day and in the process pulled the covers of the airboxes. He called me up and asked "when did you last change these?" :eek:

They were filthy and full of sand and dirt to the point that you could shake a pile of dirt out of them. The truck has 107K miles on it and was covered under extended maintennance so it was serviced regularly by the dealer. I went back thru my service records and I don't see where they were ever replaced. I see notes for micro-filters but I'm guessing those are cabin filters.

Wouldn't you think the air filters would be covered under free and also extended maintennance plans? :dunno:

#2 ·
And this surprises you why?

#3 ·
Another Victim of BMW marketing...

I know its free, but seriously, its your car, take care of it and check all things you can check.

Personally whatever car I drive, after almost every fill-up or as indicated:

1) check all power-train fluids. Observe any depleted fluid, check any leaks anywhere. Also observe color, and check your engine's oil fill to give it a nice guesstimate of the internals.
2) Check all filters every 15k or less depending on driving conditions.
3) Check All tires, including spare (if so equipped) for PSI, and condition
4) Brakes is a WIP, since you`ll know when they need replacement depending on pedal feel and vibrations.
5) Suspension again WIP.

Just some short tests, that you honestly could do every month, if your really busy, but its worthwhile.

#4 ·
I'm disappointed in them and in myself for not paying closer attention. I stayed on top of the dealer for oil changes, brake fluid, brakes and rotors plus the other stuff I had fixed under warranty.

I assumed they could handle an air filter change without my riding their asses.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.