BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Massive/annoying belt chirp when cold

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  1995i540 
#1 ·
95 M60B40

I replaced my belt last November, since then it's been a problem because it chirps quite a lot when the engine is cold. (first start of the day)

When I replaced the belt, I did not change any of the bearings because they spun properly and seem to have been replaced recently before my ownership. I'm going to post a video tomorrow of the noises it produces. Any feedback of what to do will be great.

#3 ·
If it chirps when you are not turning the wheel, it could be tensioners like the dude above mentioned.

Could also be a simple case of worn belt/tension loss via a loose tension bolt that keeps tensioner in place.

It could also be a failing component on the drive train, so make sure you take a look at it asap before your belt seizes and causes $$$$ in damages.

#4 ·
Well a cheap and annoying way to get rid of the chirp is to use fanbelt spray on your belts and pulleys. However, that needs to be repeated every 2-3 days and is not practical.

Your belts are loose. This could be due to bad tensioners, pulleys, or even the wrong length of belt used when you last changed your belt.

Andy, I don't think we need to change the tensioner with the belt. Tensioners are very long term wear and tear items, can last over 10 years, and typically only changed when they develop problems (which may well be the case here). Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think I'm supposed to be changing the tensioner every 50k miles.

#11 ·
That's a great looking ride dude. Sounds awesome.

And that sound doesn't add to the discussion, to be honest.

Pop your bonnet and look at the belts while the engine is running. Try to spot any obvious problems. Sometimes you may see a belt moving too much laterally etc.

In any case, I think you've exhausted our abilities to diagnose this via computer. You gotta get under there and start working on it. If you've done that, or lack the skills, you'll need to bring your car to a workshop for a diagnosis and repair.

For good measure, please pull the codes from your car. It is unlikely that anything relevant would be there, but you never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.