BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just got my first BMW dash warning light help!!

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ZeGerman 
#1 ·
Just picked up my first BMW yesterday and I love it. A 1998 328is. Anyways the brake pad light and the ASC light are always on, ABS light is not on. I tried holding down the button, just pushing the button etc and it doesn't change anything.. If I put the key to the on position, the ASC light goes out and the button will activate/deactivate it, but as soon as I start it, it comes back on.. any suggestions? Also is the 18 button OBC backlit? Its dark and the guy told me it needed a new bulb.

#3 ·
Welcome!

Please be sure to SEARCH the forum FIRST..

TWO different lights.. two different problems.
You should read the owners manual regarding your E36.. Lots of INFO in there.

- Brake pad light means your brake pads need to be checked.. or you have a failing sensor.

- ASC light means you have a fault, and need to check the ASC.. or do as others have done.. and Delete ASC.
Its a bottleneck in the Intake system anyway..

- OBC's often have lighting issues... its a common problem.. they can be repaired easily.

Cheers!

#4 ·
Thanks, yes I was doing a search just now and came across someone with an ASC problem because of a ripped intake boot.. I checked mine and it has a split in it as well.. Ill try replacing that and see if it works. Brakes are all new, so I will try checking or changing the sensors..

#5 · (Edited)
Those boots can be pricey.. You can fix yours for now.. Save some moolah $$
Rubber cement, patch, or that stickyasalllhell black tar tape will work as a temporary fix.
That means your car has been sucking unfiltered air into the motor.
You should consider a engine cleaning after your fixes..

If you delete the ASC, you can get the NON-ASC boot.. :dunno:

If you KNOW the brakes are new.. inspect them.
Sensor may be disconnected, not connected properly, broken, etc..

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.