BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cabin Air Filter Choices - OEM, Bosch, NPN

23K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  jvest2000 
#1 ·
I know this is probably one of the lesser important choices I'll be making for my routine maintenance but ECS offers 3 different choices for the cabin air filter. OEM, Bosch, and NPN. They are all charcoal lined and all look almost identical but the Bosch and NPN are almost half the price of OEM. If it were for anything mechanical, I would not hesitate to spend the money for OEM parts. I'm just curious if anyone has used the Bosch or the NPN filters and can comment on them. I'm leaning toward the Bosch simply because it's the cheapest and the better recognized brand (at least for me anyway).

P.S. The reason I'm limiting myself to these choices is b/c I've used ECS in the past and am about to order some stuff for my next oil change.

#2 ·
Had an NPN on the X3 a few years ago, and found that odor from 300D's, Rabbit Diesels, etc. ahead of us didn't get toned down at all.
Discarded it fairly quickly.

I deduced at the time that the charcoal impregnation was fake, and resolved not to buy any more cabin filters made in E. Asia

As it was a few years ago, they could be better now through marketplace forces.

The Bosch option should be safe.
I know they use factories in Europe and Japan for sparkplugs - don't know about their filters.

I'm sure we don't expect too much from cabin filters - just that they do what they are supposed to.
I think the O.E. is a Corteco/Freudenberg.
Unlike a few years ago, lots of choices now in X3 cabin filters:
WIX, Filtertech, Mahle, Meyle, Mann, Fram, Hengst, etc.

#4 ·
Bosch is a generally safe choice. For something like that, I wouldn't worry hugely about OEM.

#5 ·
Replace Cabin Air Filter

Sending my X3 in the shop on Tuesday for rotors and figured after three years they should change the cabin air filter as it is not eliminating allergen's from the air like it used to.

Is this something they should replace without a hassle or is there some little indicator or catch to them doing this (like replacing my rotors had to be worn a certain measureable degree).

It seems to me that the hassle free 4 year warranty always has some little catch here or there (and is not "Hassle Free"). And I want to have an immediate answer should they throw down their typical excuses to get out of it.
Thanks,

EE

#7 · (Edited)
Hmm will check my paperwork, but don't recall seeing that on the invoice. Sure you arent talking about the engine air filter?

Thanks,

#9 ·
Don't know about leaving a cabin filter in for 3 years, but .....

there was an early Frasier episode where Niles (a Mercedes owner) berated Frasier (BMW 7 series) for not having changed his cabin filter in 6 months.

The episode was called, "When bad things happen to good BMW owners".

Frasier comes in, even wetter than before. He angrily shakes out the
skeletal ruin of his umbrella, then drops it in the wastebasket.

Martin: Wow. Frasier, what happened?

Frasier: What happened? I went six months without replacing my pollen
filter in my car, so it was in the shop. Couldn't get a cab,
so I took the bus home. Which splashed me! And I fell down,
missed my stop, and had to walk home ten blocks in this
downpour!

Niles: You went six months without changing your pollen filter?

#14 ·
Ok so get this. I drop the car off today. They agree to replace for the second time the worn/torn rubber finish on my steering wheel.

However they tell me that the rotos cant be done as the min spec 23.40 and my rotors are 23.47.

Well 3 months ago I brought them in and they told me they were 23.46. So they are either inaccurate in their calibrations which they swear by or my rotors are now getting thicker than thinner.

Or if the several 100'ths of an inch is not so big a deal then they should have done them three months ago in the first place.

This is why I never trust them.

#15 · (Edited)
So your finish came off again? You don't actually touch the steering wheel trim, do you? Sorry - a little BMW humor.

I don't think the .01mm will do much. Just technician inaccuracy or they picked up more of a raised area.

So were you trying to get them replaced under warranty and the said they are still in spec?

It is frustrating!

#19 ·
I just picked up a 2005 X3 and am doing some research. My plan is to give it a complete tune up/service including all fluids and fitlers. My question, in keeping with the original topic of this thread, is will the carbon type filter fit in the X3 without climate control? I found two listings for cabin filters, the carbon type for vehicles with climate control, and a simple paper element for those without. Anyone know if they are interchangable?
Thanks!

#24 ·
Very easy to do. Open hood, look towards windshield. There is a plastic cover that runs along windshield. I believe there are 2 attachment points on ends. Turn 1/4 turn, lift off cover. Voila! There it is. Lift out, vacuum out, inspect inside for water, debris, wear. Insert new filter, cover on, turn screw attachments. Close hood, open beer, pat self on back for job well done!

#26 ·
I would go with carbon filter. Anytime you have fresh air coming in it will help.

Let me know if you need any pictures. Do a search and you should find some though.

#27 · (Edited)
I got a 2006 X3 two years ago (2010) for my wife so we're well out of our maintenance period but when i checked the cabin air filter it looked pretty bad. I would hazard a guess that it may never have been changed in 60,000 miles or was maybe once.

I like to stick to Mann or Hengst filters. Here's a little write up I did on replacing it on X3 models with links to the Mann filter I used on Amazon:

BMW X3 Cabin Air Filter Change DIY Guide

Save yourself some money and get the parts yourself and install it ...takes 10 minutes and you can have peace of mind that you're not being ripped off...

That is obviously overkill for simply changing a filter but i wanted to document the process so anyone thinking about doing it could see how easy it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.