BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2016 Navigation Map Update DIY for CIC models (2009+) Here

2M views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 ·
Just figured I'd pass on some info I obtained while attempting to update my '09 E93 iDrive navigation software recently. As you all probably know, from 2009 on the iDrive is now the CIC-based system (hard drive) and as such all of the official channels tell you that you have to bring the car to the dealer to have a map update performed. In 2010, I had to do this to update my maps from 2009 to 2010, at an out-the-door cost of $253 from my local dealer, and the car was there for two days. At the time, this was the only way to do it. Now, however, there are places out there to purchase what you need to do this upgrade yourself with a significant savings in both cost and convenience. Thanks to Technic and other members on the forum who provided some info and guidance.

In order to update your maps, you need two things: (1) a 3-disc DVD set containing the 2011 map data (BMW part #01990037287), and (2) a BMW Navigation Map Certificate, also commonly referred to as an FSC code (BMW part #65902181742). A couple notes about these part numbers--first, the 3-disc DVD set uses the same part number for both 2010 and 2011 maps so ask to make sure you are getting the 2011 map set if you are upgrading. I had the parts manager physically go locate the discs in inventory and visually verify that the discs were labelled 2011 before placing my order. I don't know if BMW will recycle this part number again for future years or not. Second, Tischer BMW originally believed they could order the FSC code but upon attempting to order same, they discovered the part numbers had been pulled from their system and they could not, in fact, order the FSC code. They claim BMW has since pulled this part number from all USA dealers as a part they can order for a customer (I cannot verify if this is true or not).

Okay, on with the update. DISCLAIMER: As with any car modification, proceed at your own risk. I had absolutely no issues with the procedure, even with a small hiccup (see below). Also, I have no affiliation with the vendors I mention in this DIY--they were simply the cheapest and most reputable at the time I needed to make my purchase--both were *awesome* to deal with and have great customer service. This doesn't mean it will be that way for everyone in the future. Again, proceed at your own risk.

1. Get the 2011 3-disc DVD Map Set. I ordered my discs from Tischer BMW online. I conversed with Jason, the Internet Parts manager, several times regarding the recycled map part number and also the availability/non-availability of FSC codes from them. As of 05/01/11, the 3-disc DVD map set cost $7.12 from their web site. You can't find the part by searching but if you put in the actual part number you will see it. Of course, since it was the only thing I ordered from Tischer, I got whacked with a $4.95 "handling fee" and $14.95 for standard UPS ground shipping--both which I consider exorbitant--for a grand total of $27.02 to my door. If you get them through Tischer, I recommend doing so when you place an order for something else and your shipping cost should be divided out over multiple items making it more reasonable.

2. Get the BMW Navigation Map Certificate (FSC code). Since Tischer could not obtain this for me, I shopped elsewhere. When I did the upgrade in March 2010, the cost at my local dealer for the FSC code was $229. When I called my dealer this year I was told that the list price for the code is now $343, but he would give me the BMW CCA discount which would bring it to $310. They wouldn't sell it to me directly though--only if I had the dealer do the upgrade, and they would also charge $60 in labor for the install, so after tax it would be just over $380 out the door. Calling around to other dealers I had several others quote the $343 price and no one would sell it directly to me. Enter BMWRetrofit.com. I saw them posting in another forum that they could obtain USA FSC codes directly for customers. They are located in Canada, and as of 05/01/11, they charged $200 CAD, which as of my purchase worked out to $208.74 US. My CC company charged me $6.26 for a foreign exchange fee, for a total of $215 for the code. Within 48 hours, I received an email from BMWRetrofit with an attached one-page .PDF of my BMW Navigation Map Certificate containing my unique 20-digit FSC code. For those that don't know, FSC codes are generated using your car's unique VIN so it can only be used on your car (BMW's way to avoid piracy). You do have to email BMWRetrofit your VIN after your payment so they can get the code. I will say BMWRetrofit was awesome to deal with.

3. Prep the car. The update process takes just over two hours to complete start to finish, and needs to be done with the car either running or the ignition in the on position. If the car is not running, this will drain the battery so you need to have the car tethered to a DC power source. I don't know if a battery tender would suffice (very low amperage), but a standard battery charger certainly will. I connected up the alligator clips to the terminals under the hood, set the charger for 10amps, and plugged it in. I had no power problems and no battery drain. Once the power source is set, you need to have the ignition on. Press the start button twice but DON'T put your foot on the brake. This will turn on the ignition. If you press the start button only once, you put the car in "radio ready" mode which turns on the radio/iDrive. The problem with this mode is the car will go to sleep after 20 minutes and shut off your update. So definitely keep it with the ignition on.

4. Insert the first disc. It will automatically load the update program and tell you it's about to start the update and you select OK. It will then prompt you to enter in your activation (FSC) code using the iDrive wheel. Once you enter the code and select OK it will start the process. You can watch the status bar slowly crawl along as it proceeds.

5. Insert the second disc. When the first disc is done, it will prompt you for disc 2. It will not automatically eject it from the drive so you need to press eject to remove the disc, then insert disc 2. You can watch the status bar slowly crawl along as it proceeds.

6. Insert the third disc. When the second disc is done, it will prompt you for disc 3. It will not automatically eject it from the drive so you need to press eject to remove the disc, then insert disc 3. You can watch the status bar slowly crawl along as it proceeds.

7. Reboot the iDrive system. When the third disc is complete, it will tell you it is done and will then say it needs to reboot the iDrive system. Select Reboot/OK and the system will automatically reboot and your update is complete. Eject the third disc. Store the disc set with your BMW Navigation Map Certificate in case you ever have to reinstall it.

Once you are done, if you go into the Options menu in the navigation system, under Navigation Version, you will see:

NA
BMW Group
Road Map North America Premium 2011

A couple final notes about the update:

1. I've heard rumors that you need to have a (relatively) recent ISTA/P firmware version in the car to do the update. I don't know if this is true or not, but I do know my car has 2.37.1.0.1 from March 2010 and I had no issues. There is no way for the layperson to check their firmware version without a specialty reader or a trip to the dealer. However, based on my experience I don't think it's an issue. As long as you have the CIC hard drive iDrive, this should work for you.

2. This update is for the map data and the POI (Points Of Interest) data only. There is no software/firmware upgrade, no new features added, and no bugs fixed/introduced. You would need an ISTA/P software update at the dealer for that, if needed. Rule of thumb: if you aren't having problems you don't need one.

3. This update can be down while you are using the car/driving, and can be interrupted and will (or should) pick up where it left off. I actually had to go somewhere while the update was still going on and I was driving down the road still using iDrive/radio/menus, etc. It even prompted me for the iDrive reboot and rebooted at the end of the update while the car was in motion without any issues. When I first started this update, I started with the car in "Radio Ready" mode and after 20 minutes it shut completely off and went to sleep. I turned the ignition back on and the update continued from where it left off.

4. At any time you can go to Navigation, hit the Option button and the last choice is a new temporary selection "View Navigation Update Status" and it will show you the current status.

So in summary, the CIC hard drive navigation map updates can definitely be done by you at home, and for a lot cheaper than at the dealer. My dealer was going to charge me $380 and I would have had to leave the car for the whole day. Total cost for the discs and the FSC code shipped to my door was $242.

See less See more
#156 ·
Another thumbs up to Sergey coming through with the Activation Code! He is definitely the cheaper alternative out there...

After receiving my disks (both 2011 and 2012) from getbmwparts.com for under $7 bucks I ordered by code from Sergey.

Did the update over a few trips in the car. The upgrade continues where it left off.

#161 ·
Seriously guys, just do the DVD update in stages as I did.

Systems just continues where it left off - instead of mucking around with battery chargers etc :dunno:
If I read some of the posts in this thread correctly, one can in fact start the process, drive for 20 mins, shut off the car, and upon restarting and driving the car again, the process picks up where it left off. If that's the case, then I'll prolly do that and have it installed over the course of the week.

#164 ·
Yea I combined all ISOs into one directory tree, comes out to about 22GB. Seeing as the largest USB thumb drive I have is 16GB, the one USB method went out the window.

Does the install process remember its state if the car sits turned off overnight?
"combined all ISOs into one directory"
I tried various options,
but unfortunately failed
or at the beginning or be able to ask you to insert another USB,
Now I get the original file is 22gb fit into one USB

#165 ·
Chalk up another vote for sieras5, his code worked flawlessly!

The dvd install does in fact resume right were you left off, should you start the install and then shut the car off in the middle of it. It takes a few seconds after starting the car before the install resumes, and it picks up looking just like you're installing it for the first time again, but after you click Install in a few seconds it zips right to the last % it was at before you shut it down.

By the time I got to work it was at about 16.5%. My guess is by the time I get home from work it will be asking for dvd 2. 3 days to install new maps with zero hassle and no battery charging issue? Priceless.

#166 ·
Well so far the only drawback is that every time you resume the install process, it wants you to eject the current dvd and insert dvd 1 again, and then a minute later asks for the last dvd you just had in there, and then it resumes. Pain in the ass, but not the end of the world.

#168 ·
#170 ·
I just bought a 2012 328xi coupe and just noticed that the navigation version was "north american premium 2011i". I went through the glove box and found a letter for the navigation system with a FSC code ending in n"CA", does this mean I have the correct code for the 2012 upgrade and just need the DVD's?

#171 · (Edited)
Most likely. My 2012 Code ended with CA, and when I bought the DVD's, 2011i and 2012 came packaged together, so I would imagine the same code could be used on both sets.

#180 ·
I loaded a 2012 CIC map into my 2012 car- built in 9/2011- and it did NOT need an FSC code.

I suspect that BMW has preloaded FSCs for 2012 maps into all model year 2012 car- even when the 2012 map data was not yet available.

Try it, see what happens. I'd be nice for 2012 owners to know that they can get a 2012 map for $10.

A

#172 ·
I have tried three different make/model of USB memory stick and I have not had any success.

The steps I took were as follows:

- Format USB memory sticks with FAT32.
- Copy content from the Disc 1 ISO onto the USB memory stick. I.e. on the root of the USB memory stick I have the a "pkgdb" folder and a "config.nfm" file.
- Insert USB memory stick into the USB port that is located within the glove box.

Nothing would happen.

I do have some DVD DL discs, so that is an option but I was hoping to get the USB method to work.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestion...please do let me know. :)

#173 ·
I just successfully upgraded my CIC to the 2012 North American High maps.

2012 DVDs from BMW
Battery charger to maintain voltage

DID NOT NEED THE FSC code!!!

Strange, but I have a 2012 built in 9/2011...perhaps BMW had preloaded 2012 FSCs for 2012 cars??? Hoping to head off mad customers?

Needs more research

A

PS I can recommend Sergej- quick, good communications, trusted.

#174 ·
2012 NAV upgrade for 2012 X5 35D

Gear ARD, how did you upgrade your NAV - I see alot of posts, but no details.
How can I buy the maps for low price and do I need the FSC code?

My car was delivered October 31st 2011 and it is a 2012 X5 model.

I plan to go with complaint to th edealer anyway as I see the movies on the BMW site showing that wonderful Integrated on-line manual but I do not have that option.
So, I hope there is an iDrive Software upgrade that will fix that for me (also no 3D navigation - only perspective view)

So if know how to ordr and install th elatest maps - please share.
Thanks, Vladimir

#175 ·
Go to your dealer and order part number was 01990037287...should be $8-11. They will try and talk you out of it, tell you it wont work or that your car needs a download from the BMW server. Smile, but politely insist they order the disks.

I am willing to bet you do NOT need an FSC!

Here is how: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6638188&postcount=138

Now, if you want to pull the dealer into the process, insist on updates, etc have at it.

A

PS I really want someone with an early 2012 to prove out my theory.... worse case scenario is that you car asks for the FSC and you just cancel.

#178 · (Edited)
Sierra5 is at "sieras5 at inbox.lt"

Other reliable providers may exist, but sierra5 provided mine promptly and at a good price.

Frank

#179 · (Edited)
DELETED. Sorry - misread the sequence of posts.

#181 ·
I finished the 2012 NAV update. Worked like a charm. It took a few days as the update process only occurred as I was driving to and from work (too lazy to swap discs if I was only going for a short drive).

Purchased the FSC code from Sergej. Super fast response time, great service!

#182 · (Edited)
My experience of buying FSC code from online

ura535 is a liar! He says that fsc code he can generate for free, but it's not true. I tried to purchase code from him for free but he said that I must pay the money. Furthermore, he began to talk about code 1B, which is extracted from the car through a special cable, so I will have had cable ( I think that the ordinary people does not have this SPECIAL cable). And in other forums is the same information- if you want to buy fsc code from them, you will have had a cable!
So I was disappointed with this vendor (also, I don't found any positive feedbacks about ura535).
But in all forums I find information about sieras5, I write him in his e-mail SIERAS5[AT]INBOX.LT, and purchase code from them, I am so happy for his work, I received a code within 10 minutes, he communicates so well and quickly, also, his payment method is simple- paypal! I hope that this my post will be useful for those who want save your money :thumbup:

#184 ·
I have a small cars service, so often I have update my clients maps. The FSC codes I always buy from sieras5 (Sergej), I***8217;m glad for his work, because he generate code very fast and everything is perfect! Also he made discount for regular clients! I recommend this guy.

#189 ·
I have a small cars service, so often I have update my clients maps. The FSC codes I always buy from sieras5 (Sergej), I'm glad for his work, because he generate code very fast and everything is perfect! Also he made discount for regular clients! I recommend this guy.
Wow... you have a small car service and always have bought your code from Sergej, but then two messages earlier you act as if you bought your first code from someone else and got ripped off, so decided to go with Sieras5..... Also, these are the only 2 posts you've ever made.

How dumb do you think we are? I think Sergej (you) will lose more business making posts like this rather than gain business. In my eyes you had a good reputation until now, and still would probably use you despite this, but c'mon really?

:thumbdwn:

#186 ·
It's not part of the CPO, but it can be negotiated in as part of the sale.

#190 · (Edited)
NAV DVD's and Code

My DVD's came in today and I used my code that I got from sieras5. Upgrade went off with out a hitch. I put the first DVD in when I got in to my car at the Dealership, then the code and started driving. Just before I got to my house it was ready for the 2nd DVD. I shut the car off went inside. I went to run an errand and left the 1st DVD in and after it started the update again it asked for DVD number 2. I put DVD 2 in and ran my errands. When I got back I left my car running in the driveway and let DVD 2 finish. I shut the car down. Had to go to the Airport this afternoon to pick up family. Had to put DVD 1 in then seconds later put in DVD 2, then seconds later it was ready yo start reading DVD 3. DVD 3 finished the system rebooted and I was updated to the 2012 maps. So yes you can do this over time. To confirm I did receive the 2011 and 2012 maps with my order from the Dealership. It cost me under $7, plus the code from sieras5.

I ordered the DVD in Motion tonight, we will see how that goes.

#192 ·
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give an update- I have a 2012 BMW X5 xDrive 35D delivered to me October 31, 2011.
It had 2011 Maps loaded.
I finally purchased 2012 Maps on eBay and was not sure if I needed the FSC Code- but I decide to try without it and it worked!
I had the engine running all the time (approx 2 hours) - but it took th eforst disc, then asked for second and third - then said it was done - but when checked version, the screen was blank (gave me a scare!)
But then I shut the system down completely and restarted again and the version came up as 2012.
All is working perfect.
I do not know which dates have the cut-off for Code free update, but mine had it.
Regards,
Vladimir

#194 ·
I have made more than a few posts in these forums and I can affirm that sergej came through for me. I do notice that the other person advertising codes here also posts under the same username in other forums. There, as here, many of the people recommending him have the same eastern-Europe broken english, few posts, similar format user names, and respond within minutes of his post. I am deeply suspicious of that user and those posts.

But, once again, I used sergej (sierra5) with success. I have many posts on many topics dating from early 2009. But, as always on the internet, YMMV. Maybe my forum persona since 2009 has been nothing but a ruse leading up to this hustle. The Long Game.

Frank.