BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How do I remove suntan lotion from leather?

33K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  HG132 
#1 ·
Someone (who will never be allowed in my car again) got suntan lotion on the black leather of the center console and the seat. I assume it rubbed off from their arms and legs. This happened a few weeks ago and both areas are about one inch by one-half inch.

Initially, I tried to rub it off with a damp microfiber cloth, but it did not come off. Today, while washing my car, I tried to rub it off with a damp microfiber cloth with speck of Dawn to get some sudsing action, but that did not work either.

I used some pressure, but I didn't want to use too much for fear it would damage either the sun-reflective part of the leather or the leather itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove these stains -- or, will those areas now be protected with 50 SPF forever?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

#3 ·
To clean leather that has oil / grease stains, there are a couple of different things to try. Use the Leather Care Cleaner as a spot Cleaner which will break down the oils and remove the stain. If the stain is greasy, put cornstarch over the spot and allow it to absorb the stain Grease - put cornstarch over the spot and allow it to absorb the stain. Or try rubbing the stain with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, use lemon juice and cream of tarter in equal parts to rub into the stain. Allow the paste to remain for an hour before wiping it away.

Or try Leather Degreaser:
An aerosol product for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.

Products are Leather Masters

#4 ·
This happened to me...with Zinc Oxide...which is the hardest to get out.

The S/A at my BMW dealership gave me a can of Vinyl/Leather cleaner with a "touch of mink oil" to take home. It's what they use on all dealership cars and it works great. Before I left, he applied it to my seats and it buffed right out w/zero elbow grease.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.