BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Strut assembly

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  jgroarke 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone else break a strut mount? Getting a strange clunk from RF area, almost sounding like a spent CV joint...brought to dealer, going to install a new strut mount?!? Not sure of the details yet. Will post more info when available.

#8 ·
I just saw your reply...our symptom is exactly the same.when my wife is backing outa the driveway, cutting to the right, the noise is prominent. It is going in this week to get the ordered parts installed. I am not 100 percent sold on this as the solution though.

#10 ·
Car went in on Tuesday and they replaced the strut mount. They claim it was a plate that the strut is mounted to.
After the dealer dropped it off on Tuesday night I honestly ahve not even had the time to look at the paperwork or the work completed.
I will take a look this weekend and post a detailed response on what I found.

#12 ·
My wife's X3 recently started doing something similar. Only had it 3 months and last week it started making a clunking noise (coming from rear) when going over bumps or, more frequently, when turning and the pavement is uneven. I wonder if its the strut mount like others are posting about.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok, here it is off of the RO left in the car:
Installed RF strut mount after diagnosis
PN#:
31-30-6-852-158 Guide support (1)
31-30-6-851-799 screw self- tapping (3)

I have not driven the car since it was repaired. My wife was pretty intune with the sound and says she has not heard it since the repair.
As I have mentioned in past posts, it was almost identical to what others are reporting: Backing outa the driveway (while cutting the wheel to the right to navigate into the street) would cause the "clunk".

I find it interesting, there are at least 3 or 4 others on this thread experiencing a very similar issue. Please continue to post your findings & results.

#15 ·
Update

I took mine in for service today, and mentioned the noise.

They said they had found it, and added to the case they had submitted to BMW Germany, and I should await further instructions ...

:-/

I offered to give the information on part numbers above, but they declined to accept. They hinted that it is a common issue being investigated ...

J

#18 ·
Update

Here's the latest.

I got a call from my local dealer. They say BMW Germany have analysed the data given with my (and others apparently) data.

The upshot is, they're going to replace the steering rack(!), I just have to wait for the parts to be ready from "Der Vaterland".

Stay tuned ... :)

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.