BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Classic DSC/ABS/Brake lights on problem / 2 DSC pumps already changed

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  brunooo 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a problem on my 2005 X5 4.8is

Two months ago, I happened to have the DSC/Brake/ABS lights on on my dash, and went to the workshop. The problem was due to the DSC pump failing, which is not so common (was suspecting a sensor at first). First time, I replaced the pump by a used one, it worked fine for 1 month, and the lights appeared again.

I changed the pump for a new one, and the lights came off for two weeks, but they appeared again yesterday.

I suspect the pump is faulty again. I am investigating on what should these pumps to fail. A new pump should not fail after 2 weeks...

I noticed that one small black wire next the to the positive cable for the battery has been cut and wrapped in duck tape (previous owner way to solve problems? IBS cable?) Maybe this is causing a problem with the pump with stray current....

Will keep you posted on that.

If any of you encountered the same thing and found a solution, just let me know.

Thanks

Bruno

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi Wilopes, thanks for your reply. Did you also blow some DSC pumps? How many did you change? When you say you changed the control unit, does that include the pump?

I will go tomorrow to the workshop to check it, i will definitely keep you posted.

I also noticed that air front strut is leaking (very small leak) and I noticed the car cannot be levelled anymore when the DSC pump is dead

Guess it's a bad week...

I will also try to take a picture of my battery wiring.

#4 ·
Car repaired the other day, I went to the scrapyard and found a control unit with a new pump, replaced it and the master cylinder.

After coding/bleeding it's working fine... I also used that time to buy refurbished front air struts, they look pretty strong.

Only bad news, one guy bumped my front fender and bumper when my car was getting cleaned.... I guess it will be another weekend at the workshop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.