BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2010 135i w/1500 miles stopped dead

6K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  stylinexpat 
#1 ·
on a four lane highway...no warning, engine just stopped. I have been reading about the HPFP problem but have not seen the 2010 or 2011 mentioned. Anyone else have this problem?

I am a very pissed:mad: BMW owner today and concerned that I may have a car that is not dependable. I have NEVER EVER had a car that had a problem at 1500 miles nor one that scared me. I will know more tomorrow after the service people look at the car. :thumbdwn:

#4 ·
Just got it back today and they replaced the HPFP...we will see. I have never owned a car that I did not feel was reliable until now! Needless to say I am quite timid to use it when getting called into work at 2am in Oakland (#2crime capital) May use my 2002 "Costco/Home Depot car" Hyundai for those trips until I gain some confidence back.:dunno:

#5 ·
Hmm. I've had my HPFP replaced 3 times in a 335i and it never just died or stranded me. It went into "limp" mode and I was able to drive to dealer at up to 50 mph or so. I wonder why it just died - I thought the lower pressure pump kept operating. Please post if you get any additional information.

#8 ·
It just stopped and I was able to restart long enough to get off the highway. When the car got to the shop they were able to start it but didn't get too far.

You are a more patient person than me, 2 strikes and I will fight BMW for a buyback or trade into a 128 :)(). My SIL is a paralegal and has done some Lemon Law buybacks, so I think because of all the data out there over this problem and the SAFETY issue I would be successful. I really love the car and hope this new pump does it.

#6 ·
Another thing to keep in mind - God forbid - if this happens again is to try immediately re-starting the car. Many people have had early HPFP failure symptoms - including getting the reduced power symbol - only to have everything be fine on re-start. Not ideal, but worth trying. Sorry this is happening. Really sucks, but some tips just in case.

#7 ·
I definitely share your concern and the prime reason I avoided 335i

#12 ·
Same here I thought about getting the 135 then change my mind last minute and end up with 128i, this car might be slow but I knew it would not die on me.:dunno:

#15 ·
Not yet but it will start every single when you turn the key. My local dealership told me that BMW is buying back at least one car per month on average.

#21 ·
Anyone know how you can get the dealer to buy back a car??? Mine just told me to contact BMW north america. Do they actually do anything if you call?

My HPFP failed completely on me today and left me in pretty unsafe situation. When I first started the car this morning, it took a few attempts to turn over, but seemed to drive fine. Went 10 miles on the highway, got off, then the limping started, check engine light came on, and the car just died. After 5 minutes of sitting in the middle of a busy intersection, it was able to start again and limp about 100 feet to a safer location before dying again. Some people have had this happen on the highway which is really scary.

Now I'm going to freak out everytime my car doesn't turn over immediately when starting. I love my car A LOT but if I could get the dealer to buy it back, I would.

Advice?

#16 ·
Trade it for a trouble free 128i.

#17 ·
What's done is done. Hope you dont have any more problems in the future.
It was just one time rough ride...I am sure

#18 ·
Just to update, 3 days since I got it back and no problems. I am treating the situation philosophically, a rare event never to be seen again. But I have charged up the stun gun and thrown it in the purse...just in case.:bang:

Damn that car is fun to drive.:banana:

#19 ·
Stun gun? I will keep my distance. :yikes:

#20 ·
Noticed a real lag in power when "HITTING" the gas today. Quite unnerving as I was being overly aggressive and almost got in an ugly situation because the power was slow in happening. :eeps: Happened a few times times today and really concerns me. It has been a week since they replaced the HPFP. What y'all think? Should I take it in or wait...is this symptomatic of impending doom?:confused:

Yes, I am not behaving:angel: as I just can not trust that trottle.

#25 ·
Right along with the HPFP issues some N54 owners have had their fuel injectors replaced as well, sometimes one injector, some times all of them. If it goes in again have your SA check the injectors as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.