BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

occasional shudder felt underneath

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BMR_LVR 
#1 ·
To all:

I have a '95 525iT E34, M50 with 135K miles on it. 3 or 4 months ago I noticed a slight stutter or shudder coming from under the car near where the drive shaft connects to the engine.(I think) It happens mostly when starting out when the torque is greater but I noticed today that it will also vibrate in neutral when I give it moderate throttle. I thought transmission filter at first but now am thinking u joints. (Not sure of the terminology but I'm referring to the the connector between the motor and drive shaft)
Does this sound familiar to anyone out there and if so what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance to all you afficianados out there. Peace

Bud Shaw

#2 · (Edited)
Well yes it could be u joints, but there are many other parts between the driveshaft. First off is it manual?

Also be as detail oriented as possible. Does it happen when the cars warm, or cold, or both. Does happen when you turn left or right. Low and high speed. What does it do in reverse.

Every bit will only help us help you.

#3 ·
Also, if it does it in neutral when stationary and revving the engine (couldn't quite tell from your OP), you can rule out the drivetrain. If that is the case, look at motor and transmission mounts.

If no problem when stationary and in neutral, then look at the drivetrain. You have to inspect the entire drivetrain. Take a close look at the flex disc where the transmission connects to the drive shaft.

Good luck.

#8 ·
More info here

Sorry bout lack of details. Yes it is an automatic (as are all Touring models) and It doesn't seem to matter whether it's warm or cold. It will vibrate at start up and going down the road if I gas it. And it does shudder (although not as badly) when in neutral, not moving, and moderately revving the engine. You're right, it shouldn't be the drivetrain if this is the case. How difficult to change out a motor or tranny mount?
Thx.

#9 ·
Sorry bout lack of details. Yes it is an automatic (as are all Touring models) and It doesn't seem to matter whether it's warm or cold. It will vibrate at start up and going down the road if I gas it. And it does shudder (although not as badly) when in neutral, not moving, and moderately revving the engine. You're right, it shouldn't be the drivetrain if this is the case. How difficult to change out a motor or tranny mount?
Thx.
It's not too difficult, just time consuming. I recently replaced both engine and transmission mounts. Here is a DIY on the engine mounts:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Engine/Mounts.htm

The transmission mounts are a lot easier. You can see how to do them easliy enough.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.