BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

All-New BMW F31 3 Series Sports Wagon - Arrives at US Dealers Spring 2013

89K views 182 replies 66 participants last post by  iconoclast 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW F31 3 series touring hits US showrooms spring 2013

BMW released the first images and information on the next generation BMW F31 3 Series Sports Wagon and announced that, as with the two previous generations, this model will be offered in the US. Unlike anything else on the market, the all-new 3 Series Sports Wagon will again offer the flexibility and utility one would expect from a premium wagon combined with the driving dynamics of the quintessential sport sedan, the BMW 3 Series. The new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon will launch in Europe later this year and is set to arrive in US showrooms in Spring 2013. Powertrain details for the US as well as pricing, specifications and standard/optional equipment will be announced at a later date.

Like its Sedan sibling, the new 3 Series Sports Wagon is slightly larger than its predecessor, most notably its wider track (front + 37 mm/1.46 in., rear + 48 mm/1.85 in.). The car's length (+ 97 mm/3.66 in.) and wheelbase (+ 50 mm/1.96 in.) also accentuate its sporting promise. Inside the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon, rear passengers will appreciate the noticeable increase in space made possible by the larger dimensions. These larger dimensions also pay dividends in utility with nearly ten percent more cargo volume both with the rear seats up and when folded.

The new 3 Series Sports Wagon will be the next model to offer BMW Lines as a way to tailor the car to individual tastes, just as with the Sedan, by choosing from a trio of trim and equipment variants - the Sport Line, Luxury Line and Modern Line. Each presents its own individual take on the character of the Sports wagon, with exclusive, high-quality trim and material combinations. For the enthusiast who wants to go beyond even the Sport Line, the M Sport Line will also be offered because it is, after all, a BMW 3 Series at its heart.

BMW 3 series touring official details

Striking face with precise contours and multi-faceted surfaces
Characteristically, the sporting nature of the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon is made apparent to the eye by its wide track. By accentuating the width of the car, the multi-faceted surfaces of the expressive front fascia give the 3 Series Sports Wagon a more athletic face than ever.

A three-dimensional interpretation of the upright, slightly forward-slanting BMW kidney grille emphasizes an assured presence. LED accent lights positioned like eyebrows above the traditional four round headlights with corona rings (if Adaptive Xenon headlights are specified) lend an extra intensity to the classic BMW focused look. Clearly defined headlight surrounds now extend up to the frame of the kidney grille, merging the headlights and grille into a single stylistic element and adding further emphasis to the car's broad-set stance. The 3 Series Sports Wagon replaces the central air intake of its predecessor with two larger intakes, which are positioned underneath the headlights to the outer edges of the front fascia and add extra depth to the car's sporty look. On the left and right edges of the main ducts are small vertical intakes which help create the "Air Curtain". This new technology improves air flow around the front wheels, enhancing aerodynamic efficiency and reducing fuel consumption at higher speeds.

The closely spaced, squat openings of the kidney grille, with their eye-catching surrounds, form the most prominent element of the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon's front design. It is also where the precise lines of the dynamically contoured hood begin at the base of the A pillars and flow over the full length of the hood. The result is a front that appears lower-slung, giving 3 Series Sports Wagon a clear sporting edge when viewed head-on.

BMW F31 sports wagon

Precise lines produce a silhouette that enhances the car's dynamic impact
Powerfully taut surfaces with sweeping lines dominate the side view of the BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon, stretching the car visually and lending extra verve to its dynamic stance. The flanks of the car are shaped by an eye-catching double character line running alongside each other. The higher character line emerges out of the low-slung nose and flows over the front wheel with an understated sweep, in a nod to the wagon's fleetness of foot. The second character line develops lower down behind the front wheel and follows a delicately arching path towards the rear. Together, they reinforce the dynamic wedge shape of the car's flanks. As well as providing a discreet increase in muscularity in the rear section below the character line, these styling cues also create vivid light and shade effects, which draw further attention to the car's wide track.

The car's athletic overall impression is emphasized by the steeply raked D-pillars, the angle of the rear window and the subtly wedge-shaped geometry of the window surfaces. The roofline - which slopes downwards slightly to the rear and is extended visually by a spoiler - and the "Hofmeister kink" at the foot of the D-pillar also generate a sense of dynamic tension. The finely balance between the greenhouse and the body lends the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon a sporty, elegant and nimble look, while the rear lights extend well into the sides of the body and combine with its flowing lines to create a harmonious transition between the flanks and rear section.

The rear of the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon also boasts a blend of sporting elegance and modern practicality. The horizontal lines and L-shaped lights set far to the outer edges accentuate the subtly flared fenders and the wider track. Two integrated bars of LEDs allow a slim light design and ensure they maintain an appearance that is instantly recognizable as a BMW both day and night. The positioning of the lights at the outer edges of the rear underline the car's hunkered-down stance on the road. The large tailgate opening and low sill make loading and unloading bulky items that much easier.

The new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon again features a rear window that opens separately from the tailgate. The window is unlocked electrically via a button on the rear window wiper arm and opened by hand. This practical function makes it easier to load and unload smaller items - especially when space is tight, as the rear window opens up rather than out.

In order to make access to its generous cargo area easier, a power tailgate will be offered for the first time on a 3 Series Sports Wagon. Getting into the cargo area can be done at the touch of a button, either on the remote key or from inside the interior. Access is made even easier when Comfort Access is ordered, which will include the Hands Free Opening Tailgate. If one approaches the new 3 Series Sports Wagon with hands full, one need only stick a foot under the rear bumper and the tailgate automatically swings open.

Practicality and versatility: Hallmarks for the new 3 Series Sports Wagon
The new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon offers remarkable flexibility. A net as well as an additional strap along the right side panel can be used to help secure cargo. Four tie-downs are integrated into the cargo floor. A net along the left-hand panel will also be available. A pair of coat hooks and an addition 12-volt outlet add an extra measure of flexibility. A storage tray under the load compartment floor and a deep stowage compartment on the left-hand side of the cargo area can accommodate smaller items. Another neat twist, the luggage compartment cover can be stowed away under the load compartment floor, allowing it to be kept in the car even when not in use. Also standard is a separate partition net, which can be employed in a variety of ways even when the rearseat backrests are folded down. The rear seats can be folded down in three sections in a 40:20:40 split. The large through-loading facility allows the new 3 Series Sports Wagon to carry four adults and longer items, such as skis or snowboards, at the same time.

In addition to the flexibility and utility offered by the interior of the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon, other features unique to this model includes roof-rails to accommodate all manner of storage racks for everything from bicycles and skis to cargo boxes. It will also be available with a full glass panoramic sunroof.

BMW ConnectedDrive: The latest in safety and infotainment
With its broad range of driver assistance systems and mobility services, all offered as part of BMW ConnectedDrive, the new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon sets a new benchmark when it comes to safety, convenience and infotainment. To ensure that the available features deliver the maximum benefit, the exchange of information between the passengers, the vehicle and the outside world is managed by BMW ConnectedDrive.

The new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon is available with a full-color Head-Up Display. It projects key information in sharp resolution onto the windshield in the driver's direct field of vision. Depending on the vehicle specification the speed limit is noted in addition to the car's speed. The driver can also see navigation instructions and various alerts in the Head-Up Display. Thanks to the wide variety of driver assistance systems available in the new BMW 3 Series range, more information can be placed in the driver's direct line-of-sight while their eyes remain squarely on the road.

State-of-the-art camera technology provides the potential for new levels of safety and convenience. Active Safety options include Lane Departure Warning as well as Blind Spot Detection. Backing up and parking both are made easier with the available Rear-view Camera with Top View which provides a bird's-eye view of the car. Another convenience-enhancing assistance system is the BMW Parking Assistant, which takes charge of maneuvering into parking spaces making parallel-parking a breeze.

BMW Assist, a globally unique mobility service, comprises among other features a telephone information service and BMW's industry-leading enhanced Automatic Collision Notification function with automatic detection of the vehicle location. BMW Assist also includes Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity.

Other innovative technologies allow the integration of the Apple iPhone and other smartphones as well as music players, including the use of Internet-based services. The Apps option enables iPhone users, among other things, to receive Internet radio stations and to display Facebook and Twitter posts on the onboard monitor. With BMW Apps, iPhone users can access and listen to music streaming services like Pandora and MOG today with Stitcher coming soon.

The all-new BMW 3 Series Sports Wagon again brings the versatility of a wagon with the driving dynamics of the quintessential sport sedan. The new 3 Series Sports wagon will be arriving in US showrooms in spring 2013. Powertrain details for the US as well as pricing, specifications and standard/optional equipment will be announced at a later date.

Attachments

See less See more
#109 ·
Not really. BMW did the same thing with the M5 and a few other cars (that I can't remember right now). An interesting note they did add the F31 sport wagon to the list of cars they're showing off in Detroit.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664605

It wasn't on the list originally so they might surprise us and drop pricing. I'll be there so any news that comes out will go right on the site.

Tim

#113 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some good news!
BMW also plans to introduce three new diesel models to the U.S. in 2013, in addition to the highly successful BMW X5 35d, which reported a sales increase of 39% last year to over 10,000 vehicles (10,276). The 4-cylinder diesel will premiere in the 3 Series Sedan and Touring and the new 6-cylinder diesel will make its debut in the 5 Series. For the first time ever in the U.S., diesel AWD will be offered in the BMW 5 Series.
link

#115 · (Edited)
I'm even bowing out now on the manual option being a requirement, just give me some specs and a date i can get in and drive one....

P.s. going to the black tie philly auto show next weekend - if there's one there I'll climb in the trunk just to get a feel for the cargo room :)

#120 ·
Another Web site showed the 3 Series Touring will have a diesel option in the 2nd half of 2013. Not sure how legitimate this is.

The slide you see below was reportedly taken during a BMWNA meeting and it reveals the upcoming diesel model lineup and schedule:

***8226; F30 3 Series sedan diesel - first half 2013
***8226; F31 3 Series touring - second half 2013
***8226; F10 5 Series diesel - third quarter 2013
***8226; X5d diesel - end of 2013
***8226; 7 Series diesel - first half 2014
***8226; X3d diesel - first half 2014

#122 · (Edited)
I find it very hard to believe that BMW would have omitted that by mistake in the press release.

Press Release

BMW Group aims for further growth in the U.S. in 2013
14.01.2013Contained media data:
1 Attachment
Detroit. The BMW Group intends to grow in the U.S. in the current year. "We are confident that we will continue our success in our largest single market in 2013. Here and worldwide, we are expanding our global vehicle portfolio with attractive new models such as the BMW M6 Gran Coupé and the BMW 4 Series Coupé, said Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of BMW AG, Sales and Marketing BMW, on Monday at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit. Last year, the BMW Group reported its best year ever in the United States with over 347,000 vehicles sold - an increase of 13.8%.

Worldwide, the BMW Group also expects sales to increase in 2013:
"We aspire to a sales increase again in 2013 and a new record in terms of deliveries, even if the conditions, particularly in some European markets are still challenging", said Robertson. The BMW Group sold more BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce vehicles worldwide in 2012 than ever before in its history. A total of 1,845,186 (PY: 1,668,982) vehicles were delivered, an increase of 10.6% compared to the previous record in 2011.

The U.S. market is likely to continue to grow in the current year, according to Robertson: "In 2013 we expect a growth of approximately 5% in the total market to approximately 15 million units." Further growth at the BMW Group in the U.S. is expected to be driven through new products such as the BMW 320i and the BMW 3 Series Touring with xDrive in 2013. The BMW 3 Series accounts for almost half of all BMW vehicles sold in the U.S. and is also the market leader in its segment.

BMW also plans to introduce three new diesel models to the U.S. in 2013, in addition to the highly successful BMW X5 35d, which reported a sales increase of 39% last year to over 10,000 vehicles (10,276). The 4-cylinder diesel will premiere in the 3 Series Sedan and Touring and the new 6-cylinder diesel will make its debut in the 5 Series. For the first time ever in the U.S., diesel AWD will be offered in the BMW 5 Series.

The U.S. is home to the production of the BMW X3, X5 and X6 vehicles at Plant Spartanburg, South Carolina, which makes BMW the biggest vehicle exporter of North America to non-NAFTA countries. The Spartanburg plant achieved a new milestone and its largest annual production volume in its history in 2012 with 301,519 vehicles produced, a nearly 90% increase in production since the 2010 factory expansion. The capacity will be increased to 350,000 units over the medium term.
Yes they do say the F31 will be available with xDrive, but no mention of an F31 d with xDrive.

#140 · (Edited)
Confirmation that it will be badged as 328d and will also be available with xDrive in both wagon (actually the 328d wagon will only come in xDrive) and sedan. ...
If this will indeed be the exact same engine as is badged as the 320d in the rest of the world and re-badged as a 328d here just so BMW can charge the uninformed $2K - $3K more in North America ... that would be low ... hitting below the belt low. I suspect that will not go over well here on the boards. Fingers crossed that it miraculously grows another turbo in the few months between now and delivery so it has the performance worthy of being called a '28'.

#141 ·
If this will indeed be the exact same engine as is badged as the 320d in the rest of the world and re-badged as a 328d here just so BMW can charge the uninformed $2K - $3K more in North America ... that would be low ... hitting below the belt low. I suspect that will not go over well here on the boards. Fingers crossed that it miraculously grows another turbo in the few months between now and delivery so it has the performance worthy of being called a '28'.
It is 99% certain that 328d will be a rebadged 320d, and 535d will be a rebadged 530d.

What upsets me most is the fact that BMW did build four US spec 328d RWD cars (three US, one Canadian), with two more US scheduled to be built soon. So they are ready to give them to us. If they're not coming, only BMW NA is to blame.

#124 ·
I need to understand the spec'ing of the diesel engine but I might find it very favorable in an AWD car. The ability to avoid DSC intervention due to the amount of torque makes daily driving much more pleasant and if we're talking about a 3-series wagon rocking decent power and low 30s fuel economy with AWD, then I'm very pleased and I will at least consider it if the automatic is quite good.

#125 ·
So it doesn't look good at all for a manual transmission from what I can tell.

It sure would be nice to be able to configure a wagon on the BMW site; does anyone know when we might be able to do so? Or at least have pricing info & availability (other than "Spring 2013")?

#126 ·
Dear BMW,

This Saturday I likely will be on a BMW dealer's lot buying a BMW wagon. Unfortunately for you, it will likely be pre-owned 535xit. I would LOVE the ability to test drive or at least examine an f3x wagon in mid-January 2013, perhaps at the black tie auto show in Philly tonight. But that seems unlikely, cause you just don't care about supporting your wagon. You'd rather introduce more lines of the sedan (i.e. 320i).

This is simply dissapointing. At least make the frigging model available on BMWUSA.com?? But no - I've been seeking more information since your automotive journalist test drives sponsored 7 months ago, and more information is simply not forthcoming.

Boo,

Joe

#128 ·
Dear BMW,

This Saturday I likely will be on a BMW dealer's lot buying a BMW wagon. Unfortunately for you, it will likely be pre-owned 535xit. I would LOVE the ability to test drive or at least examine an f3x wagon in mid-January 2013, perhaps at the black tie auto show in Philly tonight. But that seems unlikely, cause you just don't care about supporting your wagon. You'd rather introduce more lines of the sedan (i.e. 320i).

This is simply dissapointing. At least make the frigging model available on BMWUSA.com?? But no - I've been seeking more information since your automotive journalist test drives sponsored 7 months ago, and more information is simply not forthcoming.

Boo,

Joe
So because they don't release the car on your individual schedule they are doing something wrong? :loco:

#131 ·
I'm looking to give the F31 a try. It's either that or an Audi allroad. Trouble is that I want the Audi with the 3.0t engine and that ain't happening. I've never cared for the SUV look and prefer the lower center of gravity of the f31/allroad vehicles. Also makes it mucho easier to get outdoor toys on and off the roof.

#133 ·
diesel vs petrol

I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the F31, and now that it is imminent, the news of the diesel option got me thinking of waiting for its arrival. I am a real fan of diesel, owning a Citron in France, which gets around 65 miles per gallon. That being said, the economics of diesel do not seem to make sense. If you compare the diesel vs petrol mpg on various BMW European websites it seems to be around 27% combined city/highway. However, assuming a price premium of the diesel over the 328xi of around $3500, and that diesel fuel costs around 10% more, it looks like it will take a lot of driving -- well in excess of 100,000 miles based on current prices -- before you hit the break-even point. Of course, this does not take into account the difference in the depreciation, which is uncertain. So, I can only conclude that the diesel option does not make sense in the US.

#135 ·
prices

I hope you are correct about parity in pricing of diesel and the 328. But based on how Audi prices its products, as well as the announced premium for the new Jeep products, I expect that the diesel will be far more expensive. As for fuel prices, there is about a 10% price difference in my market. I should add that in France the diesel fuel is far less expensive -- therefore, over 90% of new car sales are diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.