BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The official E9x OT thread!

2M views 4K replies 138 participants last post by  i🫶myN54 
#1 ·
Many of you have asked for it... so here it is.

While this is OT, all of the rules still apply. Keep in mind that personal attacks an NSFW material will get posters in hot water.

Enjoy.

- Mike

#3,127 ·
#3,130 · (Edited)
Today was a good car day. I washed and detailed the outside of my wife's RX-350, and then did a wipe down on my car (which was still very clean from its last detail). Then we went for a drive in the country to see spring in the bluegrass - lots of horses and foals out this time of year. 70 and sunny. Perfect.

Then I went to Lowes and got 2 2x8x8s to make wood ramps (I let them cut them) so I can easily get the car up high enough to get my new floor jack to the center lift points. Came home and put them together, and I tested out the ramps and the new floor jack (didn't use the stands, still need to make pads for them) just by driving onto the ramp, chocking wheels, and seeing if I could lift it from the front center point. Very easy :)

Now all I need is to make some wood block pads for the jack stands to be used in the side lift points, wait for the circular jack pads to arrive, and order/buy a torque wrench and one of those nifty 17mm 6 point sockets with the plastic/teflon/whatever it is protection around it...

Tasks to use this stuff for, in no particular order: Pull wheels for thorough cleaning/detailing, paint calipers, and be ready for next oil change :)

#3,132 ·

No matter how you graph it, it's clear that Reagan's tax cuts resulted in a huge increase in the national debt... and Bush II cut even more with "temporary" tax relief. IMHO we all need to pay more taxes in addition to spending cuts and the military spending has to be on the table for potential cutting as well. It's not complicated. Cut spending, increase revenue. And simplify the damned tax code. Throw the whole thing out and start over. Cut corporate taxes, yes... but eliminate all the ways they avoid paying the taxes imposed.

(sigh)

'Sorry.

#3,133 · (Edited)

No matter how you graph it, it's clear that Reagan's tax cuts resulted in a huge increase in the national debt... and Bush II cut even more with "temporary" tax relief. IMHO we all need to pay more taxes in addition to spending cuts and the military spending has to be on the table for potential cutting as well. It's not complicated. Cut spending, increase revenue. And simplify the damned tax code. Throw the whole thing out and start over. Cut corporate taxes, yes... but eliminate all the ways they avoid paying the taxes imposed.

(sigh)

'Sorry.
+1. It is despicable when Exxon-Mobil, GE and company avoid paying taxes.

Edit: Here is but one example of how corporations are able to avoid paying taxes: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/b...ms-at-low-tax-states-and-nations.html?_r=1&hp

#3,137 ·
I don't blame corporations and individuals for playing by the rules to avoid taxes... I blame the rules. And those that can't afford the legal team to know all the little details in the rules are at a disadvantage.

All the talk about land of opportunity and basic American values of fairness sound hollow when it's all so complicated, only the big dogs can figure it out.

My wife and I both have PhDs from Cornell. We can't do our own taxes. And our financial situation is really quite simple. (No investment property, no businesses, etc...)

The system is broken for everybody but the insiders and everybody knows it. The Tea Party folks have a point. So do the Occupy people. And a goodly number of independents, Democrats, and Republicans.

It's time to s!@# or get off the pot.

#3,138 ·
I don't blame corporations and individuals for playing by the rules to avoid taxes... I blame the rules. And those that can't afford the legal team to know all the little details in the rules are at a disadvantage.

All the talk about land of opportunity and basic American values of fairness sound hollow when it's all so complicated, only the big dogs can figure it out.

My wife and I both have PhDs from Cornell. We can't do our own taxes. And our financial situation is really quite simple. (No investment property, no businesses, etc...)

The system is broken for everybody but the insiders and everybody knows it. The Tea Party folks have a point. So do the Occupy people. And a goodly number of independents, Democrats, and Republicans.

It's time to s!@# or get off the pot.
That's it in a nutshell. Which is probably the most appropriate statement I could make.
Prof, I know you're otherwise entertained during the day today, but after you post your trip report I suggest you come back to the subject and let's discuss where we go from here.

#3,140 ·
Call me naive, but I believe in the basic goodness of Americans. Ask us to step up, and we will. I think we're all willing (well... almost all of us) to pay our fair share. The thing that gets everybody upset is that we don't think the other guy is paying his fair share and we have no way of figuring out whether or not that's true. I've heard (and am quite willing to believe) that if you call the IRS for help, half the time THEY get the answer wrong.

Stupid.

I've heard that if we went to a flat tax, something like 17% would be revenue neutral. Hey... if everybody pays 20%... 25%... if that helps us dig out from this mess we're in and everybody chips in, count me in.

How could we be at war in two countries for so long and not obviously sacrifice anything? No rations... no higher taxes... Nothing. How? Because the politicians didn't want us to face it straight on. They didn't think we could handle it. Like Bush not wanting us to see fallen soldiers coming back from Iraq. Give me a break.

Rant over. Flame suit on.

#3,141 ·
Call me naive, but I believe in the basic goodness of Americans. Ask us to step up, and we will. I think we're all willing (well... almost all of us) to pay our fair share. The thing that gets everybody upset is that we don't think the other guy is paying his fair share and we have no way of figuring out whether or not that's true.
My issue with paying the "fair" share is that it is not fair. The fair share assumes a family of four making about $42,000/year. So anyone who is making more then that is paying the "fair" share and then some. Anyone making less then that is paying less then their "fair share". I make more then that - and I am happy to pay more then that...no I don't want to pay taxes, but I realize in society that is how things work....I don't get any better services then the family of four making $42,000/year. Cops don't treat me better, the streets that I drive on are no better, the military does not protect me any more or less...in fact, there are plenty of services I do not qualify for because I make more money. Trust me, I would rather be on the higher end of the pay scale then the lower end - but I take offense when people say "they" are not paying "their fair share"...it's offensive and rude, to be quite honest.

I don't know what Apple pays in corporate taxes, and to be frank I don't believe the media hype. Most of the media now comes out with reality tv show type information - they try and make it sensational. What I do know is that companies like Apple innovate, create jobs, and help stimulate the market place. So let's not revile them that much. Just to note, I only own an old iPod...my mom gave it to me as a gift. I use it maybe 3-4 times a year. I prefer my DROID.

#3,142 ·
What does all this have to do with ABS? ABS explained:

How's that for changing an upleasant subject.

#3,147 · (Edited)
I got to go out yesterday to a large stadium parking lot and spend upwards of 4 hours thrashing various new BMW models through an autocross course and wet skidpad.

Didn't kill TOO many cones, even in the X5 diesel (at the end, everyone believed me that it was going to be one of the more fun vehicles to drive, after the 135 and the z4). Although one guy, in the last part of the course where they included the "panic turn", when the instructor makes you accelerate to the marking cones and then tells you left or right, decided to just drive at speed over top of all 6 cones marking the barrier.

He got out and said "well, it's an x5, it ought to just be able to go over that obstacle" :D

All courtesy of a local dealer. Whee!

#3,153 ·
ZipCar now has BMW 328i's for rental. It's the only ZipCar vehicle that does not have ZipCar stickers all over it. Even the Audi has stickers all over it. Just shows how elite BMW is!

#3,155 ·
ZipCar appears to have a discrete sticker option. Last week I passed a Mazda that was stickered with what appeared to be 1 inch tall ZipCar.com lettering on the rear. It was quite the contrast with past stickering efforts.

#3,156 ·
In case anyone hasn't yet got a set of sockets for changing out wheels and is interested in the plastic-coated Protecta Socket Set made by Schwaben, Sears has the 3-piece set (17, 19, 21 mm) on sale for $17.95, with free shipping to your local store.

I'm just now acquiring all the bits and pieces to work on wheels, do oil changes, etc...thought I'd pass on the information. They also have a 3 ton floor jack with 2 jack stands and a creeper for $99. The floor jack is a little high, but 2 pieces of 2x10 under the front wheels is enough to get to the center front or side jack points.

#3,158 · (Edited)
Some food for thought:

Thomas E. Mann and Norman J. Ornstein in their recent book, "It's Even Worse Than It Looks", write:
"Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party."

For more pearls from Mann and Ornstein, their book is an interesting read. Mann and Ornstein are not your stereotypical D anarchists.

#3,159 ·
Not sure if we have any bikers on this forum but here goes. Updated pics of my 2009 Kawasaki ZX6R.

Mods Ordered:

Blue LED City Lights - Installed!
ShoGun Spool Sliders - Installed!
ShoGun Frame Sliders - Installed!
OEM Kawasaki ZX-6R Tank Pad - Installed!
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - Installed!
DDM tuning 8K 55W HID's - Installed!
Puig Dark Smoke Z-Race Windscreen - Installed!
OEM Kawasaki ZX-6R Tank Grips - Installed!
CRG Spectrum Black/Blue Levers - Ordered!

Misc. Items Ordered:
Pitbull Front and Rear Stands - Here
Held Gloves - Here
Shoei RF1100 Helmet - Here

Misc Items to come:
Alpine Stars MSX-5 White Riding Boots

Mods to come:
Carbon Fiber Full Akrapovic EVO Exhaust - Ordering soon
Bazzaz ZFI + ZAFM Auto Tuner - Ordering Soon

#3,162 ·
I refuse to drive any vehicle that falls over when you park it.

CA

#3,174 ·
I'd rather drive something that falls over when you park it than see somebody park and then fall over.
One of the funniest things I have ever witnessed was a drunk falling on his motorcycle. Nobody was hurt. I am driving behind this guy late one night and he is clearly impaired. We come up to a stop sign and he stops and he is so impaired, he forgets to put his feet down and literally just falls over.

#3,168 ·
On Monday(4/30), I applied for a job at BMW. I went through my interview and everything was good. I was told that I'd have to wait 2-3 days so my background check could be done and I should call a number that I was given, he would tell me if I'm clear and we would discuss everything from pay and schedule at that time. Fast forward to Thursday, I called and nobody picked up, so I left a message. I never heard back. I decided to call again on Friday and again nobody picked up, and I left another message, and again no response. What should I do next? Should I just walk in and and see the what's going on with my application, or wait until I get a call back?

Also, how do I go about asking for a higher pay rate if I think it's too low? Do I just tell him that's too low for me and counter it? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sounds like you didn't pass the background check. If you failed the background check, don't bother negotiating salary, 'cause they won't be offering you a job.

#3,173 · (Edited)

#3,176 · (Edited)
Passed the background check. Onwards to the next step...a drug test. I'm pretty sure I'll pass that too. They're staring me off as a lot attendant and want me to move my way up. Makes sense to me since I have no experience. I know it's not anything special but it'll be a side job for me and I'm looking forward to working my way up the ladder. It has nothing to do with my field of study but I am very passionate about cars and BMW's so this is a dream come true. I can't keep driving an hour to and from work, then an hour to school and back home again. It's driving me crazy.

A long time ago, I used to race bicycles. Long enough ago, that I was riding when strapless pedal systems came out. I finally bought into the Look system and I remember coming up to a red light on the first ride with the new system. I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal, and in front of quite the audience, I fell over onto my side, still locked into the bicycle. I was just a tad embarrassed. And all the more so because, of course, I had on all the gear of an experienced racer.
:rofl: I've actually fallen off my bike because I forgot I was in gear at a light and I let off the clutch. I looked like a total fool.

#3,175 ·
A long time ago, I used to race bicycles. Long enough ago, that I was riding when strapless pedal systems came out. I finally bought into the Look system and I remember coming up to a red light on the first ride with the new system. I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal, and in front of quite the audience, I fell over onto my side, still locked into the bicycle. I was just a tad embarrassed. And all the more so because, of course, I had on all the gear of an experienced racer.

#3,181 ·
Excellent news, HotIce. Congratulations. 'Good attitude like yours will make a huge difference at any company with decent management.

#3,185 ·
Big Moon

Friday night I hauled the tripod and my "big" lens out into the driveway to see if I could get some interesting pics of the big moon. Little did I know what I had actually captured until I downloaded the pics tonight.

This one is my favorite, ( I love the spider web)

But this one has some interest as well

#3,196 ·
Friday night I hauled the tripod and my "big" lens out into the driveway to see if I could get some interesting pics of the big moon. Little did I know what I had actually captured until I downloaded the pics tonight.

This one is my favorite, ( I love the spider web)

But this one has some interest as well
Thank you for these. It's been rainy/cloudy every night since the full moon night. I was going to use my fish-eye lens too :(

#3,191 ·
Very good deal at Skip Barber Racing School

I just got this email and thought I would pass it on,
This is a very worthwhile course and it is being offered at a very good price

Three full days of track time and classroom instruction in race prepared cars with very little traffic on the track.
===============================================================

This just in!

How would you like the once-in-a-lifetime chance to enroll in a Skip Barber Racing School at Lime Rock Park at a huge discount?

Here's the deal: Lime Rock fans can purchase a Skip Barber competition racing school for just $2,400.

How is this possible?

The Skip Barber Racing School had a corporate customer that had booked the school, but the company was forced to re-schedule. Because the track, instructors and everything else were already paid for, we were given the opportunity to offer to Lime Rock Park fans the chance to enroll in that school - at a super discount.

The Racing School is Monday, May 21 through Thursday, May 24 (Monday and Wednesday are full days, Tuesday and Thursday are half-days).

That's just before the Lime Rock Season Opener featuring Trans Am and the Sunday Royals Garage Car Show, Memorial Day weekend, Friday through Sunday, May 25-27.

Graduating from this Skip Barber "4-Day" Three Day Racing School makes you eligible for an SCCA regional license AND allows you to sign up for Lime Rock Park "Test & Tune Tuesdays" (meeting the other T&T strictures, of course, which includes having a car that passes racing sanctioning body safety regulations).

Again, if you're getting this email from Lime Rock Park, you can purchase a Skip Barber competition racing school for only $2,400 - that was the price more than decade ago...

Call a Skip Barber School & Series Advisor at 1.800.221.1131 if you or someone in your family wants to take advantage of this Lime Rock Park special!

Think - and dial - fast!
Your Friends at Lime Rock Park
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

#3,192 ·
You know, CA, if it wasn't from you I would think of this as pure spam. Many spam mails start with "how can we offer you this great price...XYZ company cancelled". They all sound so alike that it feels spammy. But we know you...you aren't spammy... that's ///M-Goats job!

#3,193 · (Edited)
You know, CA, if it wasn't from you I would think of this as pure spam. Many spam mails start with "how can we offer you this great price...XYZ company cancelled". They all sound so alike that it feels spammy. But we know you...you aren't spammy... that's ///M-Goats job!
I can guarantee you that it is legit. You can go to this link and see that the 3 Day Racing School is $4,000.

http://www.skipbarber.com/formula.asp

It is a very good deal that was offered to those on the LRP mailing list and their friends.
I thought maybe someome here might be interested so I passed it on.

CA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.