BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

RPM sudden drop/ jerk at idle

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DAI 
#1 ·
I own a BMW 525i, 2007 (E60), done 41000 miles. At the cold start up takes the RPM to 1000 and then slowly starts coming down. At about 700 rpm it suddenly takes a sudden dip to below 500 and quickly jumps back to 600-or 700. Then its settles at 600 or about. The car also does the same when it is at idle say at a traffic signal. it can take a sudden jerk from 600-700 to below 500 and again back.

BMW service center insist that some sensor is to be changed. earlier they replaced the fuel sensor but it did not help. Now they want too change the NO2 sensor. Expensive proposition that is. Anyone who has the same experience and may have resolved it may advise.

#3 ·
I had an '01 3-series with a similar problem years ago, and the dealer fixed it with a software update. 41 K seams low mileage to replace O2 sensors. If the car is not throwing codes, I'd be hesitant chasing sensors when paying for each one out of my own pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.