BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 ordered: Input needed for wood trim and premium sound

Tags
e70
8K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  53K 
#1 ·
I just put in an order for 35D in Platinum Gray, Cinnamon Brown, and Light Poplar with following options.

Premium package
Heat front seats
iPod and USB adapter
Running boards
Space saver tire
Roof rails

I am a bit unsure about the wood trim and not opting for premium sound.
First with the wood trim, I went with Light Poplar thinking that it add better contrast with Cinnamon Brown and adds warmth than Dark Bamboo. I haven’t seen Light Poplar in X5 in person and am a bit worried that it will look too light and out of place against Cinnamon Brown. Has anyone seen CB/LP combo in person? Any opinions?
As for the premium sound, I have seen a recent post regarding how inadequate the base system is and that premium sound is a must option. Can X5 owners with base sound system provide feedback? I listen to iPod all the time and appreciate good sound, but don’t consider myself as audiophile and am willing to save $1400 if the base system is adequate for mp3 listening of rock and pop. I appreciate your input in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Unless you are the .01 percent of the population that can tell the difference between let's say a Bose system vs a Sony system purely by listening, the base system is more than fine. I have no complaints about my base system as I don't need Dolby surround, THx, pro logic, equalizer, etc. etc. each time I turn on the radio. Light wood is ugly IMHO, get darker wood for the more classy timeless look.

#4 ·
I think the dark bamboo would look much better with the cinnamon brown. The only interior color that looks decent with the light wood is beige.

#5 ·
From what I have heard, they downgraded the base system from what it was in the past - so it's markedly worse than normal. I'm no audiophile, but I enjoy music, and have always been disappointed by the base BMW stereos - upgrading was a must for me. The difference is *huge*.

You might try to go to your dealer to try one of each, and see for yourself. If you can, try to listen while driving on the freeway. The 328i loaner I had sounded reasonable when parked, but was awful when driving.

#8 ·
Cinnamon would be a tough one to guess without seeing in person. It has a lot of red/orange in it.

Light poplar looks good with the beige interior. Before we purchased, I was thinking bamboo or dark walnut. But, then seeing all of the combinations in real cars at the dealer, the light poplar was the winner for us with the beige interior. Dark walnut was nice. If I had a black interior (or black/oyster), I would consider bamboo. If I had any other interior except beige, I would consider dark walnut.

Jason

2011 X5 Premium 35i Deep Sea Blue / Beige
2004 Z4 3.0i Black / Beige

#9 ·
we opted for the premium sound. glad we did. i think it depends on expectations. a lot of complaints can be found on the boards about the base stereo.

we opted for light poplar w/ blank interior. i think it looks great. a darker wood color would blend in too much, IMO.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the inputs! Now I am more confused :D
Sounds like Dark Bamboo will be a safe choice, but Light Poplar looked pretty good in the pictures I have seen. Then again, they were in either beige or black interiors, so I am not sure how it will look with Cinnamon Brown...

#18 · (Edited)
I just put in an order for 35D in Platinum Gray, Cinnamon Brown, and Light Poplar with following options.

Premium package
Heat front seats
iPod and USB adapter
Running boards
Space saver tire
Roof rails

I am a bit unsure about the wood trim and not opting for premium sound.
First with the wood trim, I went with Light Poplar thinking that it add better contrast with Cinnamon Brown and adds warmth than Dark Bamboo. I haven't seen Light Poplar in X5 in person and am a bit worried that it will look too light and out of place against Cinnamon Brown. Has anyone seen CB/LP combo in person? Any opinions?
As for the premium sound, I have seen a recent post regarding how inadequate the base system is and that premium sound is a must option. Can X5 owners with base sound system provide feedback? I listen to iPod all the time and appreciate good sound, but don't consider myself as audiophile and am willing to save $1400 if the base system is adequate for mp3 listening of rock and pop. I appreciate your input in advance.

You'll appreciate the system vs. the 4 speaker/2 sub base system. 16 speakers vs. 6 is a difference. A huge one. You also get satellite radio in the premium sound. If you're listening to an iPod, the difference will be even greater. There are numerous complaints on the 2010 system and 2011 system in the X5d - there aren't any tweeters at all - there are 4 midrange speakers, 1 in each door, to provide the sound. Grossly inadequate, and muddy. Crank it and you'll likely cringe. :thumbdwn:

I opted for black with bamboo.. I really liked the modern feel of the bamboo texture.

I thought about the walnut and poplar, but couldn't get over how the textures looked really old school... reminded me of the 70's for some reason.
Walnut reminds me of the 70's BAD. Dark Bamboo/Cinnamon was my choice. If I could get piano black or gray poplar, I would pay extra for it. Seriously. I want something subtle, that DOESN'T stand out like the stripe on a skunk's back.

Perfectly happy with the base audio.

2011 X5 Premium 35i Deep Sea Blue / Beige
2004 Z4 3.0i Black / Beige
The X5d has a different base system that the 35i premium. 4 speakers and 2 subs for the X5d vs 10 speakers (tweeters) and more power for the 35i premium.

Unless you are the .01 percent of the population that can tell the difference between let's say a Bose system vs a Sony system purely by listening, the base system is more than fine. I have no complaints about my base system as I don't need Dolby surround, THx, pro logic, equalizer, etc. etc. each time I turn on the radio. Light wood is ugly IMHO, get darker wood for the more classy timeless look.
Again, the base system in the X5d is 6 speakers vs. the 35i's 10 speakers (extra tweeters/extra power).

#19 ·
the base system on any 35 is the 6 speakers version now... starting in 2010.

#25 ·
Hahaha....you're right. I meant the lower x5 model.

#21 ·
I have a 2011 35D with base system, I have to say the stereo is pretty bad, if I am given the chance to upgrade now I probally will.

I hope the premium upgrade is not simply # of speakers difference, I hope they use completely different set of speakers. I rather have 6 ****ty speakers as oppose to 10 and save 1,400. For good sound, all you need is a pair of good speakers.

#22 ·
I have a 2011 35D with base system, I have to say the stereo is pretty bad, if I am given the chance to upgrade now I probally will.

I hope the premium upgrade is not simply # of speakers difference, I hope they use completely different set of speakers. I rather have 6 ****ty speakers as oppose to 10 and save 1,400. For good sound, all you need is a pair of good speakers.
The premium upgrade is 16 speakers (they are an upgraded set of speakers as well)instead of 6, and includes an actual sound processor (9 channels, 600W, 7.2) and 50 watts/channel instead of 25/channel for the midrange/tweeters and 125 watts/channel for the subs.

You need a decent amplifier with good speakers. Speakers aren't going to be able to overcome a crappy amplifier.

#24 ·
Since you plan on getting the 6FL option, upgrading to Premium Sound would only be like $800 more since USB/iPod is included.

Also...wait for the September build for the upgraded 6FL (iPod is fully integrated into iDrive via USB only, and not the 3.5mm analog jack).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.