BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brand new 335i totaled - Need suggestions on replacement:

6K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Wavechaser 
#1 ·
I got a killer deal on a 2012 BMW 335i 2 door coupe with the Sport Package and Navigation. Unfortunately a few days ago some asshole decided to drive too fast in the rain, lost control of his car and slammed into me, totaling my car I've had for 1 month... His insurance is covering the cost of the car, but now I'm out a car, and I need to try and find another.

Can you guys suggest a place to find a *New* 2012 (not 2013) 335i with a sport package, navigation, black leather interior for 44k? Exterior colors I will settle for are White, Silver, or Gray.

Everywhere I look I can only find 2013's, and they are way more expensive than what I paid for mine... Autofinder/Autotrader/Cars.com have all yielded no results.

#2 ·
search car max, the whole country, and if you find one get it shipped to your nearest store, and make his insurance company pay for the transfer fee, and dont settle with them till you find a car, and also make sure you dont release them from any personal injuries either, they will try to get you to take a check quickly, remember they work for him and will act like your best friend until you cash their check, hope you were not hurt!

#4 ·
Thanks ill do that tonight and see what I can find.

I'm definitely not signing anything until I get the "okay" from my lawyer. I have some minor shoulder and neck pain from the collision and am making sure to track all my medical and rental expenses. Also since I'm in law enforcement I had to miss work for a few days because they didn't want me out on the road when I'm not 100% so I have to try and recoup those costs as well...

#8 ·
I checked several sites and found matches for most of your criteria but not all. Check Casey BMW of Newport News and also car gurus.com. I found close matches with both of those sites (probably 6 or 8 cars), but like I said, not perfect matches.

What's your preference if you had to rank order the criteria: $44k, coupe, white, black interior, nav, sport, etc...Finding a used to match all your criteria may be really difficult. Any room to compromise?

#11 ·
I checked several sites and found matches for most of your criteria but not all. Check Casey BMW of Newport News and also car gurus.com. I found close matches with both of those sites (probably 6 or 8 cars), but like I said, not perfect matches.

What's your preference if you had to rank order the criteria: $44k, coupe, white, black interior, nav, sport, etc...Finding a used to match all your criteria may be really difficult. Any room to compromise?
I appreciate you checking that out. I'd say my preference is first off it has to have the same features: navi and sport a must. The colors can be up for debate, but I'm not a fan of white interior.

#14 ·
Also try a search on www.autotrader.com. I did a search and found 37 new 2012 335i coupes with navigation. (There is not a filter for sport). Anyway, you can do a search based on distance from your zip cose and look at the available options. Good luck.

#19 ·
I'm going to have to fight for it, which is why I have looped my attorney into this whole debacle. They need to cover my sales tax, as well as the loan fee's associated with my original loan. Either that or just replace my car completely and leave everything else the same.

#23 ·
I think you will be surprised with what you find out just by calling like others are saying. Many if not most dealers simply list MSRP or just under, but for a 2012 (or even a 2013) e92 you'll be able to get them down quite easily. However, personally I thought that the law was replacement if under 2 years old or something like that, it really shouldn't matter what you paid for it, at least that is the what i've heard from a similar situation here in MA. Good luck.

#26 ·
I think you will be surprised with what you find out just by calling like others are saying. Many if not most dealers simply list MSRP or just under, but for a 2012 (or even a 2013) e92 you'll be able to get them down quite easily. However, personally I thought that the law was replacement if under 2 years old or something like that, it really shouldn't matter what you paid for it, at least that is the what i've heard from a similar situation here in MA. Good luck.
Nope, not the law anywhere.

However, the amount the OP should be paid by the insurance company is the full MSRP of his car regardless of the actual price he paid.

#25 ·
You bought new and now gotta buy used for a 1 month old car? Id fight that.

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App

#37 ·
Well good news, it all worked out. I purchased the car at a base price of 44k, and the appraiser gave me a base value on my car with 1,000 miles at 49k. Needless to say, I came out way ahead and was able to replace it with some extra money in the pocket!

While I like the color a lot more than my original white one, the color of the rims seems really out of character with the color of the car. I was thinking about getting them powder coated black, anyone have any suggestions and or pictures for doing this?

#38 ·
What a great looking car! And congratulations, too. I'm glad everything worked out.

As for the wheels, I would recommend you wait a little and see if they grow on you. If not, my next recommendation is to try plastidip first. It's a cheap way to experiment with the color. If you don't like the effect, you can peel it off without having forked out the cost for powdercoating. My local paint shop quoted me $250 a wheel for powdercoating. Two cans of plastidip might set you back $45 if memory serves.

Best of luck!

#41 ·
What a great looking car! And congratulations, too. I'm glad everything worked out.

As for the wheels, I would recommend you wait a little and see if they grow on you. If not, my next recommendation is to try plastidip first. It's a cheap way to experiment with the color. If you don't like the effect, you can peel it off without having forked out the cost for powdercoating. My local paint shop quoted me $250 a wheel for powdercoating. Two cans of plastidip might set you back $45 if memory serves.

Best of luck!
Yeah I did some playing with photoshop, I really like the look of darker rims on the vehicle: check it out.

#45 ·
This is exactly why I stuck with the BMW. I actually test drove a Cayman S, and while I loved it, it's not practical as my "one and only" vehicle. There's no room for any surfboards in that thing!

The 911's are 4 seaters, but they also are about 20k more expensive than Cayman S's. So yeah, I'll stick with my BMW until I win the lottery.

Ironically my sister just purchased the 2013 911 Carrera S, my god that is a beautiful car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.