BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW X5 - Flat Battery & Broken Lock

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Peter Turner 
#1 ·
I come grovelling to your greater powers. My wife has a 2002 X5 and is currently locked out of the vehicle - I have searched through threads that may help but not come across anything that can help at present.

The issue is, there is a fault with the electrics that drains the battery if left for more than 24hrs, this is currently being investigated by a local garage, access wasn't a problem as we could use the key if the battery had died allowing us to re-charge, however recently the lock within the door handle has broken and whilst waiting for a quote to repair the battery has died again.

So we are currently locked out of the vehicle, unable to access with the key. I have attempted to access by prying the door away from the pillar and getting a loop around the door handle, but as it was locked with the keyfob the security prevents the door from opening via the two pull method, and the central locking button is inactive due to having no power.

I am toying with the idea of getting under the vehicle and trying to locate the starter motor, to attach a booster pack in the hope of getting a little power in the car to allow the doors to open.

I have also been told that I may be able to get access to a power source behind the rear number plate that may be easier to get to than via the starter motor.

All help on this will be much appreciated prior to me attempting one or the other.

See less See more
#2 ·
The key should open one of the other physical locks. The alarm might go off, since you're unlocking in a different manner than it was locked, but since the battery is dead it won't matter.

#3 ·
There are no other physical locks, only the broken one in the drivers door.

Last night I tried looking for a power supply behind the rear plate - Fail
Tried the coathanger down the side of the window - Fail
Removed the engine base plate to try and access the starter motor, I could just reach it but was unable to remove the plastic cap so, - Fail

Looks like a job now for an auto-locksmith, so best get saving the pennies.

#4 ·
Constant Flat Battery

I have a 2002 X5 also and it suffers from a constant flat battery also. I drive it every and I have to jump start it every morning , I have changed the internal AC panel as someone suggested that the AC was coming on during the night and that was draining the battery. I am tired of a very undependable machine. Anyone any Ideas.

#8 ·
I had exactly the same problem (same year X5 ). I only discovered the reason for the flat battery when sat in the car with the ignition key in my hand - nowhere near the ignition switch, when the heater blower came on. The local BMW dealer had not heard of this problem but utube had! The solution was to replace the hedgehog resistor ( about £40 on eBay ). It is located right along the tunnel underneath the bulkhead on the drivers side. It has a connector attachment so not too bad to change yourself, but please look for the utube video - it's invaluable!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.