BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Speed limited at 133 mph?

6K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  haastx10 
#1 ·
Everything I read says my 7 Series Individual is supposed to be speed limited at 149 MPH but I am actually being limited at 133 MPH (let's not talk about how I know that). Said something to dealer who said "Oh, yeah, all cars sold in the US are limited at 133, its a federal law". So I said, "You mean my 2004 911 Turbo is limited at 133 MPH?" and he said "Oh, yeah. At least it's supposed to be but not all manufacturers follow the law but at BMW we take those things very seriously." I then got a 7 series brochure and opened it to the page which said the top end was limited at 149. He said it was a typo. I directed him to the web site which says the same thing and he said he'd look into it. Today he said that there is a margin of error on the speedo so it's possible that the car was doing 149 when the speedo said it was doing 133 and that was the likely explanation. I gave up and did not explain how it's illegal in Germany for cars to travel faster than their speedo which is why all BMWs show slightly higher speeds than actual. ANYWAY, the whole thing is frustrating. What I am looking for is anyone who KNOWS where their car is limited or if it can do better than 133 (we don't need to discuss how we know that and can assume any driving was done on a private road where speed limits don't apply). Also, anyone know why my car might be limited at 133 and what to do about it? BTW, I am pretty pissed about the whole thing.

#2 ·
How have you been? Haven't heard from you in a while. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you’re the guy who went in with his co-worker on two 7 Individuals and did Performance Center Delivery, right? Anyway, I did European Delivery of my 7 Individual and got it up a few mph over 140 on the Autobahn. Not sure if the car was 'reprogrammed' before making it to the US...

#3 ·
Thanks for the note and great memory. I have been spending too much time on work and not enough time on cars. Loving my 7 EXCEPT for this foolish limited thing which doesn't come into play often but when it does it makes me feel like I have over paid for the car. I SERIOUSLY doubt they reprogrammed the car after they gave it to you. How was the European delivery? My wife's x5 comes off lease in May and I am planning on doing the Performance Center Delivery again cause it's AWESOME. My 7 comes off lease in October and I am thinking about a 750 LXI in the burnt orange color they do the M5 in (I heard that you can do custom colors within the individual program but have not confirmed it).

#9 · (Edited)
How was the European delivery? My wife's x5 comes off lease in May and I am planning on doing the Performance Center Delivery again cause it's AWESOME. My 7 comes off lease in October and I am thinking about a 750 LXI in the burnt orange color they do the M5 in (I heard that you can do custom colors within the individual program but have not confirmed it).
European Delivery was awesome too! Stayed at a fantastic hotel, did lots of fun things and ate some great food, but if I ever give it a second go, I'd try to drive less and take it all in a little more - 140 mph wears on you! Btw, most 'special' Individual paints are available for $5k... Keep us posted when ordering!!!

#4 ·
BTW, when I bought the car I recall reading the top end was 155 MPH. Lots of third party sites on line reference the 155 number although the current BMW literature says 149. Don't know if remember it wrong or if the 2011 version had a slightly higher top end....

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pics dbs!

That yellow taxi color is interesting...

Wonder where that one is headed.

British Racing Green would look good on this car, I wonder if they could grab it from Mini?:D

To the OP, not sure why you're being limited so low. I've been in that area ~130mph and it felt like I was doing 65mph, so very serene. I've gotten my SRT up to 153mph(drag limited to 176) and it kept pulling, nothing beats a N/A big V8, but definitely didnt feel as calm and quiet as my 7er.

All on a closed course of course.................

#14 · (Edited)
British Racing Green would look good on this car, I wonder if they could grab it from Mini?:D
Yellow one went to Russia. Check out its neat yellow contrast stitching, attached.

As for Green: http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748041

I like!

Did you buy it or lease? Any specific plans to get back over there?
Bought and wish I had leased. Otherwise, no plans to go back...

Obligating myself to a new vehicle without test driving the particular vehicle may not happen again.

Does PCD fully commit you?

Attachments

#11 ·
Thanks for posting. Not sure any of those colors would be my first choices but great confirmation that custom colors are available. Have you seen the orange BMW is using for the m5? I think it could be HOT. Will let you know how the ordering process goes.

#12 ·
Yeah, I know the 133 thing has to be wrong. God know if they will ever figure it out. I just hate how they are willing to spill any BS just to make the issue go away rather than digging in and getting it fixed. I am going to call BMW NA tomorrow and see what they have to say....Stay tuned.

#17 · (Edited)
No plans on another yet, we tend to keep things for a long time, but will keep you posted. This color isn't bad either: http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792183 :)

But I'm curious, with ED, you buy/lease sight unseen, whereas if you order a car, it arrives at your dealer, you take it for a test drive and find a problem, you can renege. Must you fully commit when doing PCD like when doing ED or can you walk away?

Otherwise, let us know how you make out with your max speed woes.

Thanks!

#19 ·
You own the car prior to delivery with PCD. Wasn't a problem for me but I had driven a car on the dealer's lot that was mechanically equivalent. Sounds like you don't love yours?

#18 ·
Dinan upgrade removes limiter, even stage 1. I unfortunately can't confirm it's removed though.

#20 ·
They've told me I should just upgrade but I told them I have already paid for performance above 133 and don't want to pay twice. My car is leased and I'm only going to have it for another 6 months so I don't want to spend for an upgrade now anyway. I have read mixed reviews about the Stage 1. What do you think of it?

#21 ·
Could have sworn mine has been higher than 133. That is a pretty measly limit. I think I've pushed my 7 year-old Accord over 130 back when I was 16

My lease only has about a year left, so I'm not going to bother with it now, but definitely doing Dinan on my next 7 if I go that route. 450 is already a miraculous amount of horsepower, but I want a true beast.

#23 ·
Sport package pushes limiter to 155

I have had three 7s in the past 6 years. All with the sport package and all limited to 155. This latest one has the M package and picked it up through ED. I had the car humming over 150 with room to spare.

The dealer can reprogram it to 155 or in your case 149 they just are not obligated. Best thing is to buddy up with one of the techs in the shop and see if he/she would do it.

The whole purpose of the sport or M package is pushing the limiter higher (149-155) plus the little things like suspension and black trim.

#24 ·
My friend had my 2012 750Li up to 135. I also have Dinan stage II and not convinced it is worth the money. I started a thread last summer posting my times at the race track. I did it stock, then Dinan I, then finally Dinan II.

#25 ·
I still don't think yours is installed correctly. Maybe dyno it to prove they are lying to you.

#26 ·
I'm not going to spend any money dynoing it because Dinan would dispute the numbers anyway. The only thing I have thought of doing is going to another dealer and having them check it out. I don't think my sales person is really pushing Dinan upgrades anymore.

#27 · (Edited)
With the results you have I would demand they remove it and get your money back. My car is night and day different. I don't know if you read everything I posted on my experience with the upgrade. The BMW dealership had my car for 5 days to do a 2 hour Dinan install. They knew I needed my car back for the weekend and guess what, miraculously late Friday afternoon the upgrade worked. I guess they figured whats the worst that can happen, customer knows its not installed, we lie and say the computer tells us it is. I ran 10 0-60 runs before and after and it was identical. Brought it back, told them to install it correctly or refund my money. I got excuse, lie, excuse, lie, then I said return my money. Three days later it worked. When it's installed correctly, the moment you touch the throttle leaving the parking lot, you can tell. All this bs about driving style, shift points, your wife drives it too soft, ect...all crap. My car stock is 5.0 seconds 0-60, in my before tests it ran 5.0-5.1 every time. Now it runs 4.2-4.3 every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.