BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New 2012 35d Orange Peel

15K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  Kar Don 
#1 ·
We have had our 2012 35d for less than two weeks now and loving it. However, we have noticed that the paint has a really bad "orange peel" effect which I always equated to bad paint jobs. My $20K VW Jetta has smoother paint than my >$50K new BMW, which was kind of shocking. We have the black saphire and the "orange peel" effect makes it to where you do not even see the saphire specs in the paint. I contacted the dealer and they said to bring it and and they will assess it. I am just wondering if this is normal for a new BMW or in fact a defect that I should push the dealer hard to resolve? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#41 · (Edited)
learned to live with it, just like with swirl marks (against white I only see it when there's light shined on it when dark out). You can baby it till the cows come home but in the end it will still appear. So will marks on your rims no matter how careful you are.

Just enjoy the ride and your blood pressure will be better off.

#45 · (Edited)
I thought I'd search before introducing a new post and was surprised to find so much unhappiness with good 'ole USA paint from SC. I took delivery in the rain and today was the first real opportunity to wash the X5M up nice and see what I have. I was amazed at the orange peel and low gloss on the vertical surfaces - worst I've seen from BMW. I looked at the other Bimmers in our stable ( '12 650 vert, '12 750, '11 Z4) and although not perfect they are a hell of a lot better than the Spartanburg paint.

Sometimes one can color sand the clear and work most of it out, but I doubt if it would clean up before busting through the clear. Amazing BMW can't paint any better than this :thumbdwn:

The best paint I've ever had on a new car was a Mazda Millenia S; better than the 3 Porsches, MB, my RS6, ... BMW wins the race to the bottom I guess :dunno:

#53 ·
Your other BMW is white and mojave... pretty unfair comparison to carbon black.

Fundamental difference between BMW and other manufacturers is that BMW uses a powder clear coat. Powder is more environmentally friendly in that the overspray can be recycled instead of being lost in the water floor. Powder can also have significantly more orange peel based on electrostatics and is much harder to get smooth than liquid clear. Lexus is by far the best as they use older liquid paints and lay it on super thick. That gives their cars that candy coated appearance.

#46 ·
And before anyone posts "Blame the EPA", there are plenty of mfgs with nice paint in the USA...and BMW paint from Germany is pretty sad too!

A

#49 ·
As far back as I can remember, cars coming from Europe have always been known to have orange peel paint. most noticeable in black. I once heard it said that they put the paint on a bit heavier..I'm not sure that's a good enough reason. It doesn't bother me, and if it's a durability thing, I'll live with it.:) The absolute best paint I've had on a car was my 2008 Infinity EX35. It was a self healing paint, gorgeous, and looked as good as new when I traded it in.

BMW knows how to paint a smooth finish. So I'd be interested in knowing what the thought is behind the orange peel look. Maybe it is a more durable finish for cars that may take a bit more abuse?

#50 ·
As far back as I can remember, cars coming from Europe have always been known to have orange peel paint. most noticeable in black.
Can't use that excuse for the X5. Or any other BMW's built / painted in the USA.

#57 ·
Interesting question, as I haven't noticed a corporate presence here like on bimmerpost or clublexus. Both of those sites have active participants that are BMW and Lexus employees. They participate in discussions and I'm sure compile data and feedback that they report back with.

Curious if there is or ever has been a corporate presence here?

#58 · (Edited)
http://www.pfonline.com/articles/waterborne-painting-process-is-a-first-at-south-carolina-bmw-plant

That is for the primer and color coat. I'm not sure if Spartanburg switched to powder clear. Germany is 100% powder clear

Environmentally friendly painting technologies
The BMW Group is committed to powder clear coat technology. This technology requires neither water nor solvents. The BMW Group introduced the first powder clear coat line in 1997 in the Dingolfing plant, and the production sites in Regensburg and Leipzig are now also equipped with this technology. In addition, the use of water-based paint is standard at all production locations. The result of these efforts is that within the last ten years, the BMW Group has reduced the quantity of solvents used in the company by 50 percent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.