BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I'd like Single Zone Climate please.

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  TerraPhantm 
#1 ·
Of course, I'm pretty sure that BMW NA isn't reading this post. But I'll say it anyway.

I'd rather have the option of having the single zone climate control that's easier to control. I think having a fan speed wheel adjustment is simpler and easier-to-use, and faster to simply turn "off". Plus, I can't think of any car that effectively differentiates multi-zone climate zones because air simply moves within the cabin. The temperature ends up averaging somewhere between the two sides. Plus, the moisture sensor works like crap on our E90 325i.

Making a dual-zone climate optional would be a great money-making option too. Pack it into the Premium package or sell it a la carte for $500.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
- 1 :thumbdwn: on this one Azn. This is one of the changes I applaud them on. My wife is always cold and I wear shorts in the winter.

This is a big plus for us. That and they finally use knobs.

#4 ·
While I sympathize with the "keep it simple" philosophy you've expressed, if BMW (either NA or AG) reads your post, they will roll their eyes and scroll to the next topic...Might as well ask for manual roll-down/up windows.

#5 ·
It is still automatic climate control, as you can see from the owner's manual picture. Just single zone, versus dual-zone w/condensation sensor.

#9 ·
That photo is the German version. The US spec vehicles have duel zone if you look at the US specs and photos on the US web site.
Yes, I know that :eek:uch:...........I just think it'd be nice to offer the more basic version as standard in the US since it's simpler to operate the fan speed. The dual-zone climate control really doesn't work that well.

#10 ·
Yes, I know that :eek:uch:...........I just think it'd be nice to offer the more basic version as standard in the US since it's simpler to operate the fan speed. The dual-zone climate control really doesn't work that well.
I've never had any problems with the auto control in my 3 series sedan, it has worked perfectly for me. The only thing I've had to adjust is temp control from time to time and a/c on or a/c off.

#7 ·
Ah, I just learned something new today. Off the German forums again, no doubt.

The rear-seat vents are tied into the climate control system. Vehicles with single-zone climate control do not get vents in the backseat. So the dual-zone climate upgrade also adds the rear-seat ventilation system.

That complicates the argument for making single-zone climate control standard in the US, because Americans, who may not initially notice the lack of dual-zone on a test drive, will notice the lack of back seat vents.

I think the "ALL" function is silly. I never miss it on the 3er. I do really enjoy the residual heat feature, which is NOT on the new X3 or the 1er and 3er. I use it with some frequency on the 3er.

#12 ·
+1 for dual zone. Might not make a huge difference in the ambient temperature of the cabin at any randomly sampled point, but definitely changes the temp of the air blowing directly on you. Maybe not a marriage saver, but it's nice to have none-the-less.

#13 ·
+1, dual zone all the way. Taking that away would sorta be like switching to a solid rear axle with leaf springs. :)

#14 ·
Yea I've got to say that the dual zone is something I like; I loved the feature in my dad's 5er (and his old X5). I tend to keep the AC very low (anywhere from 60-63 degrees) while my passengers prefer something along the lines of 70 degrees. When the differential is that large, you definitely can feel a difference in the air blowing at you.

Of course I've got a lowly E46, so my passengers have to suffer through my preferences anyway :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.