BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Question for 2012 128i convert owners

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Gluhwein 
#1 ·
Of course I'm loving this car, but I am really getting bummed out my mpg. Driving it in Germany I attributed the 22.0 mpg to European gas and the mountainous terrain. Once I started driving here in the US I got closer to 23.0 and assumed it would improve as I broke in the car. But I am now approaching 5000 miles and still am getting rather crappy gas consumption. The best I've gotten was a long trip totally on interstates where I averaged 27.3. The rest of the time I'm getting 22-23 mpg for secondary road (not city) driving. I'm not even close to the advertised mpg. Very disappointed.

#2 ·
Have you tried going to a dealership and seeing if they can check it out? Maybe resetting the adaptive learning, or something along those lines?

Seems odd you're not hitting your EPA estimates, this is the first car that I've been able to beat them regularly. All my domestics would be lucky to touch the EPA numbers even on a flat freeway with CC on.

Good luck!
Chris

#3 ·
I record each fill up but I haven't transferred data since I hit about 18,800 miles. I'm at 26K now. My average mileage through 18.8 miles is 26.83 mpg. I've done one autocross each year but otherwise this is normal street driving with an occasional trip of a few hundred miles. I drive pretty sedately most of the time but I get on it occasionally.

My guess is you are pushing it harder than I am. If you want to beat everybody away from the lights, you will pay for it at the gas pump. It's either that or there is a problem with your vehicle. Or maybe you have more stop and start driving in your mix than I do.

Jim

#4 · (Edited)
EPA highway is 28 (27 for automatic) so your mileage seems to be OK. My '08 MT 128i 'vert has averaged 27.5 over 40k miles with 80% highway driving using 93 octane - but this falls off by about 10% when using A/C and another 3% with E10.

Also, are you using the OBC or true calculated mpg? And don't forget to check the odometer accuracy - mine actually under-reads by nearly 2%.

Tom.

#5 ·
My wife thinks I drive like a lunatic, but I'm sure you guys would consider my style to be rather gentle. I get around 27 mpg on the highway, but around town it really sucks. Actually we do have a lot of hilly roads here (east Coast mountains). On my way to work (downhill) I get about 27 mpg according to the OBC, and only 23 coming back uphill. Honestly, I've been relying on the car computer to calculate lately because I haven't been filling up all the way. I'd drop dead of a heart attack if I had to pay $60 for a fillup.

#8 ·
It sounds like I should've gone with the 3 series....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.