BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear Fog Lights

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  need4speed 
#1 ·
Does any know if the E92 M3 have built-in rear fogs as the E92's seem to have?.....E92ers have discovered that they have rear fogs, but no switch because BMW does not provide this choice in US spec cars, but by simply hacking the switch, they have rear fogs...is this the same for the e92 M3 despite no front fogs?....just curious....

#3 · (Edited)
Do yourself a favor and do it right. You should only activate the fog light on the driver's side of the car. The reason why Volvos, Saabs, Benzes, etc. came with a single operating fog light was due to some safety research I read many years ago. I don't remember all the specifics but essentially what it showed was when someone runs up on you in bad weather and needs to swerve to avoid you (and really this is the only value of a rear fog light because if the person behind you can make out your tail lights already the fog doesn't add anything) they will pull to the inside of the single fog light (the presumption is that you have road on that side.) Two fog lights negates the effect (probably increases the odds you get rear-ended but I don't have the study handy to verify.) Euro manufacturers have two lights back there due to different side drive configurations but they only activate one light. I remember several years ago a premium Japanese or American (can't remember which) was proud of their dual rear fog lights :eek: (Speculation was they felt they were one-upping the competition by adding more content... :eek:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.