BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

sweet 1995 325i convertible

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SpinfisherBob 
#1 ·
I bought a 1995 325i convertible for my Daugther July of this year. Has run great until this last week when it just stopped. Turns over and will fire with a drop of starting fluid. I let it sit a couple days and it fired and ran perfectly all day....then nothing the next day. I do not hear the fuel pump engage. Lifted the back seat and put a meter on the fuel pump plugs...with key on the white plug reads 12 volts, the black plug 0 volts. I had the key turn the engine over and still registered 0 volts on the black plug....the relays all click when the key is on... I applied 12 volts to the disconnected fuel pump...it runs....now what

#3 · (Edited)
crank position sensor

Any way to test crank position sensor?

I swapped Solenoids with the same numbers and colors... Light green ones with the number 464.....with no result. Not sure witch solenoid runs the fuel pump though...

I do not sense the fuel pump running with one hand on the key and the other on the pump.

When I powered the pump directly, it was pretty quiet. Did not rev very high to my mind. I tried powering the pump directly while my kid turned the key....nada, reversed polarity...nada

I was hoping for a straight up diagnostic, but this is part of the joy...mixed signals

#4 ·
I have located the fuel pump relay...N0. 1 in the Haynes manual, cleaned contacts, replaced...nada

I know I have spark cause she fires with a drop of starting fluid...I'm strongly leaning to throwing a relay and the fuel pump at her....there is a circuit diagram on the side of the orange BMW relay....will try test the relay on the bench next....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.