BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First time BMW owner

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  raiken1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, bought my first BMW a few weeks ago and I thought I'd share my new to me 335i I just couldn't pass up when I found it. I probably paid too much but again I just couldn't resist.

I had to drive from Portland, OR to North Seattle at a Nissan/VW dealership who had the car for sale just that morning, they hadn't even processed the car yet.

It's an 2007 Montego Blue E92, 6 speed manual, sport package only (No iDrive thank god) one owner with only 23K miles. The paint looks brand new and the interior still smells brand new. It does have a few small rock chips on the hood but I have the kit to take care of that here soon when I garage it for most of the winter.

I paid 26K(they wanted 27K) for it plus a Nissan gold warranty for $2.2k(5 year/60k Miles fully transferrable). Again probably too much but I just couldn't not buy this car and they knew what they had and had no issues having me walk for less than 26K.

How'd I do?

BTW is car is amazing. I drive honda's and my current daily driver is a 98 accord 5 speed and while that's a good daily driver this BMW is an experience to drive each and every time plus it brings a smile I drive it and look at it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Enjoy!!!

I have to say I really love mine. My lease is up in a few months and I can't think about giving up this car... especially after driving the new F30. I have leased my last 5 cars but this one might be a keeper.

Things I love:

1. Wonderful to drive
2. Crazy fast, almost too fast (far to easy to get in trouble)
3. Rear seats fold so I can actually put large items in.
4. Not bad gas mileage given the power.
5. Xdrive in my case and winter tires mean I can pass SUV's with ease.

Car has been VERY reliable and dealer service in my case is outstanding.

#7 ·
If youre happy with your purchase, it doesn't matter what you paid.

Sweet looking ride. Enjoy!

#8 ·
Also having overpaid for my used E92, it is quite possible I still wouldn't be driving a BMW if I was looking for one that pleased me, with a 6MT, for an excellent price. It took me forever to find one even when willing to overpay.

Our cars are pretty similar, just sport here, same wheels, though I've never yet used a tune. If you want any ideas on various little things you can do with the car, just holler.

Also, if it was my car, and it's easy for me to say because I just recently learned how to do a lot of it, and paid for various tools and such, but I'd probably do a lot of the fluids as they're so cheap, more based on time rather than mileage of course. I'd also get a float charger for the battery, and get a free load test done on it after charging it up. I suspect that such low mileage on an '07, either the battery may have already been replaced, or... you need to keep an eye on it.

Congratulations, and welcome to the e9x forum.

#9 · (Edited)
In the end I overpaid when comparing prices to the same car in Texas or Florida but here in the NW sports type cars are valued higher. I dunno know why but it's something I learned over the last few years looking at C5Z's and 335's.

I would have NEVER found another one of these(Blue, one owner, 6sp manual, low miles) if I would have held out for one 1k or 2k cheaper.The only other option I would have had is to find one down south, fly down and drive it back up to the NW.

Good point about the battery I looked that up cause the car was bought and service at one BMW dealership and it's the original battery.
I plan on doing all fluids myself but I'm pissed about the battery needing to be programmed to the car. The dealer wants $425.

#12 ·
Nevertheless, gorgeous car...I love the color and I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it. :thumbup:
Welcome to the forum!

#10 ·
Good to hear you'll hit up the fluids. People often do the battery reg at indys, I hear $50 bandied about. There are also DIY methods, I forget what the cheapest method is, it might be $100ish worth of stuff, but there is also INPA, and for a more user friendly route but with less flexibility and more expense the Bavarian Technic. Note that registration is when using the same specs of battery, if you choose different specs, it must also then be reprogrammed firstly. (I mean if you're thinking of buying a scan tool anyway in the future, then DIY registration can be looked at as free sort of...)

As much as it's fun to complain, at least we get to use AGMs if we want, as the battery is not next to the high heat of the engine. It also comes replete with explosive charge to reduce risk of fire in case of an accident. Just some bright sides to your battery disappointment. You can also hardwire a connector to the charging points under the hood for quick-release charging, I like my CTEK 3300.

#11 ·
Congrats on the acquisition and welcome to the 'fest!

That is a really nice car you picked up. I thought I was setting the record for low mileage with 29K at 4 years but a 2007 with 23K???!!!! Spectacular! :thumbup:

Enjoy your new ride, she's a beauty!

ps: the suggestion about the CTEK is a good one. My car is a daily driver, albeit for very short hops. About every three weeks I put my car on the CTEK to keep the battery healthy. The electronics in these cars are huge battery hogs and the computers are almost too smart. Must keep one step ahead of the game.

#16 ·
I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter, but when I look up Edmunds, plug in your car as best I can, use a Seattle zip, outstanding condition, dealer retail is sub $20k. Trade in is $15.7 and private party is $17.5.

But who cares. Sites like those don't really take into account just how rare a certain combination is, namely with manual transmission.

#17 ·
Edmunds has always had prices you'd only dream about buying cars for, I've never understood it's pricing vs. the other sites.

KBB and Nada put my car right at what I bought it for not that I've made it habit of buying my other cars right at top blue book value heh. :dunno:

#18 ·
Great looking car and the fact it***8217;s a low millage and a rare manual make it worth every dollar that you seem think you paid over the odds.
I***8217;m in the same boat still having the original battery but it has not given any signs of dying yet, having never been through a proper Winter helps I guess.

#19 ·
Welcome!

Welcome!! I don't believe you overpaid too much. I just picked my 2008 E92 up in July for 24k and I feel pretty happy with that price. It has sport and premium packages with comfort access. It had 34k miles on it when I got it. I may have been able to get them down a little but I traded my Z4 in on it, so it was a little more complicated. Just go out and enjoy it!!

#22 ·
You guys need to check the E9X prices here in Arizona. Dirt cheap.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Not on KBB/Nada but in the actual market they might go for less, it could be more of a buyers market due to there being more of them to choose from.

Arizona is probably not far behind Texas, SoCal and Florida when it comes to finding them for cheaper.

#21 ·
Just for ****s and giggles I did. On the Phoenix autotrader the best priced one under 45k miles was $26k. I'm pretty sure most places have similar pricing.

#25 ·
Whoops! I don't know why they're all the same link haha

And no. I don't have time for that haha but I believe you, it's probably rare.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#26 ·
Amen! Coupes are always more expensive. Low miles is more expensive. Manual Trannies are difficult to find, so they hold their value pretty well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.