BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

new here. 95 525.. a little advise?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  txrealtor 
#1 ·
I have never thought of buying a bmw until the wife suggested it. Im mostly a dodge guy. Anyway, about a year ago we landed a pretty good deal on a clean 95 525i. practically flawless. the reviews from the local mechanics are good, however , there are a few issues. the only one i want to address now is this tapping noise in the... i thought it was the motor, but i realise that when i rev it up, it goes away. thinking tranny. its a pretty common problem from what i hear. some say VALVE ADJUSTMENT, others tell me they're self adjusting. dont know what to do. is it safe to drive, or will it leave me stranded? we've been driving it like this for about a year now. If it is the tranny, maybe this may be a contributing factor.... When its cold in the morning, i usually wait for it to warm up and then start moving, but is seems to not want to shift out of first gear till about 1500rpm(AUTOMATIC TRANS). it does have that switch next to the gear shift that i guess is supposed to change from auto to manual but i dont see a difference when i use it. ... anyway, ticking and shifting out of first late when cold. Please let me know

#4 ·
It could be as simple as the idler pulleys on the belts , I had a similar issue , and also could be old and cracked belts . When it warms up it goes away . I would check those first before assuming the worst !

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Transmission does not shift as quickly or as soon when car is cold. Just needs to warm up.

I dont believe the ticking is the transmission. I had a ticking sound a couple times.
First time was the VANOS unit. I bought a used one, rebuilt it, and sold the old one to somebody else who needed to rebuild one.
Second time was a loose spark plug. The proper torque for those little zappers is 30 Nm (22 ft-lb)

And we have the same motor

#5 ·
thanks. it could be one og the plugs. havent changed them, so i dont know. it only goes away then i floor it though. i would think it would get louder if it were a plug. the wife has it at work now. ill look into it later. I have no idea what a VANOS unit is. is it next to the fetzer valve or the flux capacitor?????lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.