BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How many of you will cancel 550i orders or refuse delivery due to no engine change?

• I finish what I started I will take delivery.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • No interest in the car now. Cancel or refuse car.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I'll take it but plan to complain or legal action due to misinformation.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • What's a N63Tu?

Votes: 9 22.0%

Refuse Delivery 2013 550i No Engine Update

13K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  evanswan 
#1 · (Edited)
Those of you you have a 2013 550i/550iX on order.

#4 ·
I ordered my 550 Ix expecting it to be 400 hp. After which I was reading the forums. reading the Internet, and saw that there was a 445 hp vehicle that might be available. The only time I saw from BMW that there was going to be a 445 hp motor in my vehicle, was a couple of days ago on my BMW. So I would love to have the 445 motor, however I ordered the car expecting the 400HP.

#7 ·
I don't think there was 1 person who ordered one, was promised or even told an upgraded engine will be in the 2013. Everyone feeds off the internet... and I highly doubt anyone will cxl. lol

#9 ·
It is amazing how the horsepower numbers have grown. I would have thought that 400hp would be just fine. Compared to 10 year ago, the 528 is a very strong performer, never mind the 550. I can only imagine what will be available 10 years from now.

#11 ·
Forum members are far from typical buyers. Most people who buy these cars probably wouldn't know if it was a turbo or naturally aspirated.

#42 ·
It better or what??? Your first post to this forum and you leave us hanging like that???

#21 · (Edited)
That is correct, there's no auto stop/start on the MY13 550i....or at least mine does to have it.

I am curious about why it went back to 17/25 for fuel economy after it was dropped by the EPA last year to 15/23

#23 ·
Maybe the M5 or the 6. I was going to order an M5 until I heard about the new motor in the 550. 445HP seemed like a good compromise, saved me 26K. Not sure what to do now. Told the CA i'd order if he could confirm the motor config, he's been trying for three days.

Someone else posted that their sticker said 20/25 MPG.

Cluster.

#24 ·
I think that was a misread. 20 mpg combined is in a much bigger font than the 17/25 is, so it's easier to miss

#26 ·
I wonder how much of the extra 45 ponies that is due to Valvetronic and how linear this addition will be when increasing the boost. I.e will a Dinan N63TU possibly have the same hp as an M5? If this is the case I would think the question of the 2013 engine is very important to the F10 crowd that aim to tune their cars. Personally I wouldn't care if it's 400hp or 800hp. 4000 lbs or 3000 lbs on the other hand...

#30 · (Edited)
Just a thought...anyone with a 2013, input your last 7 digits and will state your engine

Click on this link, you put in your last 7 digits of VIN and it will show the specs of your car, and state what engine you have.

http://bmwvin.com/

Mine is a 2011...

VIN WBAFU9C51BC******
Type code FU93
Type 550IX (USA)
E series F10 ()
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine N63
Displacement 4.40
Power 300
Drive ALLR
Transmission AUT
Colour CARBONSCHWARZ METALLIC (416)
Upholstery EXCL.LEDER NAPPA ERW./SCHWARZ (NASW)
Prod.date 2011-01-03

Close Options
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S223A ELEKTRONISCHE DAEMPFER CONTROL(EDC) Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
S229A DYNAMIC DRIVE Dynamic Drive
S248A LENKRADHEIZUNG Steering wheel heater
S258A BEREIFUNG MIT NOTLAUFEIGENSCHAFTEN Tyres with runflat properties
S2NBA M LM RAEDER DOPPELSPEICHE 351 M,19" BMW LA wheel, M double spoke 351
S2TBA SPORT-AUTOMATIK GETRIEBE Sport automatic gearbox
S2VAA ADAPTIVE DRIVE Chassis & suspens. setup"Adaptive Drive"
S316A AUTOMATISCHE HECKKLAPPENBETAETIGUNG automatic trunk lid mechanism
S319A INTEGRIERTE UNIVERSAL-FERNBEDIENUNG Integrated universal remote control
S322A KOMFORTZUGANG Comfort access
P337A M SPORTPAKET M Sports package
S415A SONNENSCHUTZROLLO FUER HECKSCHEIBE Sun-blind, rear
S416A SONNENSCHUTZROLLOS Roller sun visor, rear lateral
S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S453A AKTIVE SITZBELUEFTUNG VORN Climatised front seats
S455A AKTIVSITZ FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Active seat for driver and passenger
S456A KOMFORTSITZE ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR Comfort seat with memory
S465A DURCHLADESYSTEM Through-loading system
S488A LORDOSENSTUETZE FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Lumbar support, driver and passenger
S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
S496A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FONDSITZE Seat heating, rear
S4MRA INTERIEURLEISTEN ALUMINIUM HEXAGON Interior trim strips, alum. hexagon
S4NBA KLIMAAUTOMATIK MIT 4-ZONENREGELUNG Autom. climate control with 4-zone ctrl
S502A SCHEINWERFER-WASCHANLAGE Headlight cleaning system
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S524A ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT Adaptive Headlights
S548A KILOMETERTACHO Kilometre speedo
S609A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM PROFESSIONAL Navigation system Professional
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S610A HEAD-UP DISPLAY Head-up display
S620A SPRACHEINGABESYSTEM Voice control
S639A KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA/CDN Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S655A SATELLITENTUNER Satellite tuner
S677A HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL HiFi system Professional DSP
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES BMW TeleServices
S6ABA STEUERUNG TELESERVICES Control, Teleservices
S6FLA USB-AUDIO-SCHNITTSTELLE USB/audio interface
S6VCA STEUERUNG COMBOX Control, Combox
S710A M LEDERLENKRAD M leather steering wheel
S715A M AERODYNAMIKPAKET M Aerodynamics package
S754A M HECKSPOILER M Rear spoiler
S760A INDIVIDUAL HOCHGLANZ SHADOW LINE High gloss shadow line
S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
L838A KANADA-AUSFUEHRUNG NATIONAL VERSION CANADA
S840A HOCHGESCHWINDIGKEITSABSTIMMUNG High speed synchronisation
S880A ENGLISCH / BORDLITERATUR On-board literature, English
S8KCA OELWARTUNGSINT. 24.000KM/24MONATE Dummy-SALAPA
S8S4A DECODIERUNG VARIABLE LICHTVERTEILUN Decoding, variable light distribution
S8SCA LAENDERSPEZ. TELESERVICEFREISCH. Telematics access request,country-spec.
S8TLA TAGFAHRLICHT FRONT UND HECK AKTIV Dummy-SALAPA
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack

Close Standard equipment
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S1CDA BRAKE ENERGY REGENERATION Brake Energy Regeneration
S212A AUSSTATTUNG BREMSANLAGE LAENDER Equipment, brake syst. country-specific
S302A ALARMANLAGE Alarm system
S403A GLASDACH, ELEKTRISCH Glass roof, electrical
S4URA AMBIENTES LICHT Ambient interior light
S5DSA KOFFERRAUMNOTENTRIEGELUNG Emergency release, luggage compartment
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version, English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S8SMA FAHRGESTELLNUMMER,V.AUSSEN SICHTBAR Car ident. number visible from outside

#31 ·
Bubba, it says yours has a 4.4 liter engine with 300 hp :bigpimp: (yes, I know what it really says!)

#34 ·
It's "public" info if you trust Car and Driver

Just read on Page 53 of September issue of Car and Driver reports 550i/550iGT to get the 445HP engine....either they have a reliable source or they're making it up.
Last month, I almost ordered a 2013 but the dealer would not confirm nor deny the upgraded motor so I just went with a 2012 (not disappointed with just 400hp).
But, had I ordered a 2013 for the upgraded motor AND didn't get it, then deal's off for me.

#35 ·
Just a late note on this tread. The website now lists the difference between the 550i and 550GT engine.

550i

4.4-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo V-8, 32-valve 400-hp engine. Combines two turbochargers with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection

550GT

4.4-liter, 32-valve 445-hp V-8 engine with TwinPower Turbo technology, piezo direct fuel injection, 4 overhead camshafts, and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing

I guess that I am confused. How many camshafts does the N63 have? Would the piezo direct fuel injection have that much effect?

#36 ·
I think there could be one of 2 explanations:
1) the 550i engine is identical but detuned.
2) the 550i does not have twin scroll turbo chargers.

#40 ·
I hate to bring this subject back up, but it keeps bugging me (not in a bad way on my new auto).

When I picked up my 550 at the Welt last week, two different BMW employees (one being my delivery person) referred to my engine as producing 445 hp.

Won't matter to me, love the car, she's a beast. Just thought I'd share the piece of info with the class.

#41 ·
I hate to bring this subject back up, but it keeps bugging me (not in a bad way on my new auto).

When I picked up my 550 at the Welt last week, two different BMW employees (one being my delivery person) referred to my engine as producing 445 hp.

Won't matter to me, love the car, she's a beast. Just thought I'd share the piece of info with the class.
I think it would be easy to settle this by dyno-ing your vehicle and then comparing the results with those obtained by someone with a 2011 or 2012.

-Corey

#43 ·
I was looking at the specs yesterday for the 550i and the 550GT. For the 550i they say:

4.4-liter BMW TwinPower Turbo V-8, 32-valve 400-hp engine. Combines two turbochargers with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection

For the 550GT it says:

4.4-liter, 32-valve 445-hp V-8 engine with TwinPower Turbo technology, piezo direct fuel injection, 4 overhead camshafts, and Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing

I believe the key is the twinpower vs the two turbochargers. That should be easy enough to spot. However, I am still waiting on my car that was caught up in the Sandy delays.

There is a nice explanation on why the single turbo twin power is more efficient at:

http://www.popsci.com/content/two-one-turbocharger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.