BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Experts ONLY!

4K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  Bemo 
#1 ·
I installed some subwoofers in my bmw 325i 2006 and about 4 hours later the starter went bad and the car wouldnt turn on but i had just bought the car from a local small dealership a few weeks before it had 113k miles.. i finally got it fixed

what im trying to figure out is. was it the subwoofers and amplifier that made the starter go bad? or was it maybe set to happen? I want to install my subs but dont want to risk blowing it out again please give me some advice

#5 ·
I installed some subwoofers in my bmw 325i 2006 and about 4 hours later the starter went bad and the car wouldnt turn on but i had just bought the car from a local small dealership a few weeks before it had 113k miles.. i finally got it fixed

what im trying to figure out is. was it the subwoofers and amplifier that made the starter go bad? or was it maybe set to happen? I want to install my subs but dont want to risk blowing it out again please give me some advice
Y'know Beam, those sub-woofers might draw so much juice that you'll need twin deep cycle batteries! And don't forget, that means a heavy duty alternator and plunging gas mileage.

It's a grim picture, Beam. BMW engineers design to tight specifications - exceeding anticipated amp-hour draw will have unpredictable result. That is the price you pay for your boom-de-boom-de-boom. Also, nearby **** Sapiens may become aggressive toward your presence, before your starter over-amps again.

On the up-side, if your starter arcs in the evening, an aggressive crowd can instantly shift to a light-hearted feeling of mirth! It is a subject of much debate, as to how dying music can generate feelings of good will.

Good luck with your issue?!

#30 · (Edited)
:rofl: :lmao:

OP, why didn't you pose this question to the mechanic that fixed the car in the first place? On a car this old you're clearly not voiding any warranties and they corrected what ever issue they found. Sounds like those experts would be the ones best equipped to give you an opinion. :dunno:

#6 ·

You could tell us what was the problem that was fixed, it might help us understand... :dunno:

#7 ·
You're lucky. The amount of electricity they're taking away could cause a HPFP failure. You wouldn't want one of those.

It can also lead to increased tire wear, so check your tread depth. Also, you'll want to check your clutch, to see of it was burned up by any electrical issues.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#11 ·
Correct, Toyota makes the best gonkulators

#13 ·
I doubt it was your subs/amp, unless you wired it directly to the starter or something.

I've had a JL 500/1 and an Alpine MRP-500 (both 500w RMS amps) installed in my car for the past 3-4 years with no issues what so ever.

#23 ·
Yes because I had one laying around and needed a distribution block to feed both amps....so I basically just used the terminal on the cap to connect 2 power wires. I have 2 gauge going to the cap, then 4 gauge going to each amp.

I know some people who run 2000w rms setups with no issues.

As long as you ground correctly and use the correct gauge, you should not have issues.

The stock E9x alternators put out 180 amps I believe. They put out a good amount of power.

#24 ·
I thought it may have been tire related, but didn't chime in.:eeps:

#25 ·
Appreciate the advice . . There's a lot of flexing going on, on this post I don't give a f**k about how much more u know about bmws than I do . thank you for the advice for those who gave their input I'm just gonna sell the subs the stock audio systems not that bad. Can't risk it

#29 · (Edited)
I should have known before opening a thread with "experts only" and "sub-woofers" in the title/OP there would be tears and temper tantrums in the kindergarten before the end of the first page!

Some even came from the 5-series forum, via F-30, to throw their teddy out of the cot!

#35 ·
Sadly, as the E90 has become affordable for the masses, it has attracted less mature owners. Beam325i, I apologize for the rude answers you received for an honest, legitimate question. I'm sorry that I don't have an answer for you myself, but just wanted to post because I can't believe how these guys feel it's OK to 'dog-pile' on a newb that they don't even know.
Perhaps try asking your question in this sub-forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

#44 ·
By Gum, Bighorns, I take great exception to your scurrilous post!

I'll have it known I bought my ride NEW, unused, and off the dealer's 'incoming' lot!

And another thing: Maturity's way over-rated! Go ahead - answer this: Where's the fun in it? Huh? Huh?

And t'top everything off, you give Beam another forum to post to! You're no fun at all today, Bighorns.....is it the altitude up there in the High Desert? Joshua Trees got you prickly? Obama got yer goat?

#40 ·
Well, even after all of the criticism I leveled, I have to say that I would take that M3 over a girl! Girls are such temporary pleasure! :rofl:

#49 ·
Perhaps you should challenge your standards and pursue women rather than girls.
:dunno:

;):)

#41 ·
I'm new here and I have to say... cut it out with the jokes. It's obvious OP is very important and gets lots more ass than any off you guys so have some respect. If you guys knew anything you'd know that the amp and starter over draw on the same frequency that can cause a resonation in the current. He's lucky he didn't blow the welds off the floor boards and/or intake manifold.

OP, from the sound of it you should of gotten a "DANGER MANIFOLD!" warning for sure before this happened that you ignored. Also, it seems like you're not even double clutching... Give us more details so we can help?

And please guys, only experts from here on out...

#55 ·
The E90/...forum still remains the most entertaining (and informative of course).

While all this was going on the 7-series folks were lamenting that their cup holders wouldn't accommodate a bottle of Dom Perignon...and there was a debate in another forum about how many Lacrosse sticks could fit in the back of an X3. :bigpimp: :angel:

#56 ·
The E90/...forum still remains the most entertaining (and informative of course).

While all this was going on the 7-series folks were lamenting that their cup holders wouldn't accommodate a bottle of Dom Perignon...and there was a debate in another forum about how many Lacrosse sticks could fit in the back of an X3. :bigpimp: :angel:
P&G keepin' it real!

Boo-yaka-shah!

#59 ·
Glasses Electronic instrument Mixing engineer Learning Sound engineer

"I just wanted to know what the experts though was wrong with the flux capacitor! They clearly don't know how many girls I get IRL..."

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.