BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Well I did it.. The deed is done

7K views 51 replies 10 participants last post by  TannerT 
#1 ·
So after months of waiting, questions, research, and you guys probably thinking I am full of sh1t, things have come together. ESS Stage 2 ordered, 8.5 psi upgrade soon to come, Zimmerman brakes ordered, talking with MMVs friends to get my last trans swap pieces hopefully shipped my way this coming week.

I am going to wait to install the SC kit after I get the 5 speed swap done and get used to the gears. Seeing as I am race car certified(lol) should be no big deal but if the race car decides to blow up I don't have to pay for it.

Here is where I stand on the mod list:
Catless headers
custom Magnaflow quad tip exhaust
UUC three way adjustable swaybars
Hotchkis spings
EU2 reprogrammed (for 02 codes)
Getting Koni yellows
5 speed swapped with 3.38 diff
ESS TS2

Cosmetics:
Smoked all around
M3 style mirrors
M3 style front bumper
18 inch M6 reps coming soon

Interior:
Carbon Fiber trim
aux input (put it opposite of the DSC and HK buttons (thank you Smolk)
re coloring leather seats-- I am leaving this as a surprise for a later post, I hope you guys like them when I get them done.

Also this year I replaced the entire cooling system minus the radiator, replaced all pulleys, replaced CCV, replaced VCG, and a set of Nexen N3000's surprisingly brilliant tires. Also when spring hits(So like mid February in MO,) I am replacing my end links, tie rods, and control arms.

Future plans, I will daily the car for two more years. Then instead of blowing big bucks on a new car I am going buy an e60 M5 and probably a Z3(Expecting the to be pretty cheap by then.) The 330 will be stripped of everything and be tracked (probably still be my daily lol.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a great project....looking forward to some vids of the finished product a few months from now.... :thumbup:

#4 ·
18 inch M6 reps coming soon
THIS. ModBargains?? Absolutely love these wheels. Especially on our cars. If I hadn't JUST put new tires on my style 68's... Wait to wear the tread out on these before I pick the M6 reps up. You're safe from any rubbing or rolling fenders at 18in aren't you??

#5 ·
. You're safe from any rubbing or rolling fenders at 18in aren't you??
Offset, rim width, and tire size are what determines whether or not you`ll have any rubbing, not wheel diameter (unless you try to go STUPID big, like 20s).
The right combination of those three things must be observed.

#13 ·
Hez- those do look good honestly I am not entirely sure what wheels I will get, and I don't hate my M68's I just want 18's and wider tires.

Mal-That sounds great. I owe your a few beers too.

Update. Autotragic comes out tomorrow I will get everything prepped for the install and will start the install on Wed into Thursday. Supercharger should be here end of the week or early next. I will drive the new stick for a week or so and make sure everything checks out ok. they I will send off the ECU to the land of dark magic and install the S/C. Should have a boosted 330 in 3 weeks.

I already have a buyer for my ZF automatic, but if you guys want anything auto trans wise let me know its free to you guys.

I would also like to thank Mal he is probably the only reason why I decided to go boosted, also following his story made me decide to do the swap before going boosted. He has also been a big part in making the swap possible, I think I at least owe you a ride man!

#16 ·
Well this has all gone pleasantly wrong.. I have $450 of garbage in the garage because I was sent swap from an e36. So I now have to locate a pedal assembly and hydro lines as the ones for the the e36 don't come close to working.. I planed on this being done a week ago. I am very put off because I have not been able to do any work and this has been a real pain in the a$$. I have not had wheels for a week now and probably wont until Tuesday. Right now I have two pedal assembly's two drive shafts and a shifter/shift linkage that are worthless. Currently I have everything done except the pedals hydro lines and drive shaft. My new drive shaft will be here tm so I can at least get the car back on the ground. Because this went so poorly I probably won't be installing my S/C for awhile. I might even wait until semester is over. The Idea was to have everything done before School and work picked back up.

#17 ·
Ohh, that sucks. I was excited to see your project come to fruition. Post over in the E36 forum and see if you can't recoup some of that money. Or, have you communicated the issue to the person who sold it to you?

This just sucks any way you look at it. I'm sorry to hear all of this.

#18 ·
Don't worry it is still on. If I'm honest with myself as soon as i see the SC I will get all giddy and put it on. The person providing the parts is a great guy and is overnighting what I need and refunding me $100 for the drive shaft mishap.

If ESS can tune my ECU really fast I have no problem doing it mid feb

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App

#20 ·
Honestly the actual swap is not that bad. With good tips and advice I had the whole auto part of the car out in about 4-5 hours. Only part I had problems with was the whole pedal part. Its a real pita

#21 ·
Honestly the actual swap is not that bad. With good tips and advice I had the whole auto part of the car out in about 4-5 hours. Only part I had problems with was the whole pedal part. Its a real pita

Lol did you ever find the screw next to the spring I was talking about?. That thing is a bitch to get out.

#22 ·
It's alive!!! I have a 5spd!!! anyone thinking about doing it, it is a colossal PITA and will wear you slick, however the outcome is staggering. with the 3.38 rear end the 330 just pulls and pulls all the way through 3rd ( haven't done a full run through 5th yet.) Whole new car. My dash is lit up like Christmas tree and the brake lights stay on (very easy fix,) and I just don't care because it is soooo much fun now!! Hugh thanks to all of you guys who helped me out. Bob, and Smolck you guys were a part of this swap whether you knew it or now.. Van (MalibuMafiaV) you were the biggest contributor to making this happen, thanks a lot bud!!

Pics and vid to come.. I did not document the swap part as there are many many DIY's, however there is one piece of info that I could not find online anywhere. If you have a ZF auto and do a swap but don't want to wire a clutch switch in until you get you car coded you take the forward most auto wiring harness and run a wire from pin 2 to pin 5. I had to do trial and error on what would work to short out the neutral safety switch. I tried and tried no luck. Then connected 2 and 5 got up into the car pushed in the clutch and though oh whats the point. Fired up right away sounded pretty mad that I had let it sit for a whole week without throwing it through and corners though lol. Idled down nice and smooth after a minute or two and is running like a top.. on crack.

That's all for now gents!

#25 ·
If you are serious about doing it shoot me a pm. There are three really good full diys online. A key part that I missed out on is having ALL of what you need before starting if you want it done in a timely manner.

#30 ·
yeah it is just so much fun with the 3.38 though It pulls so hard through 3rd I am up to 70/80 so quick. I would gander that I am doing 0 to 60 in mid to high 5s when I pull good shifts. Car is just a whole new animal. However because of this and a supercharger on the way I am worried it may be over kill. I am hitting about 30 in first before I can think about shifting to second which then as soon as I get into second and put my foot down it is time for third. also doing about 2,700 RPM at 60 in 5th. I took a really ****ty video that I had absolute horrible shifting in that I will post up soon.

#32 ·
When you add the SC, you will get used to the speed really fast. When I drove a 911 turbo in Germany, I thought I was going to die the first time I hit 150. An hour later, it was no big deal. The SC will add a lot to the car, although in the porker that I drove, there was a lot of lag that no longer exists in modern cars. When you get the car sorted, you are going to have a blast! Remember, the fun is in the journey, not necessarily in arriving at your destination. You are having fun right? That's all that matters. BTW do you have a short shift kit in the car? If not, get one. Your shifting will be MUCH faster once you get the hang of it. I test drove an S2000 a few years back, and it took me a while to get my mojo back, and I drove a stick for over 20 years. It's like riding a bike.

#31 ·
Okay guys here's the first vid. I made this after about 20 mins of driving it. My shifting is god awful because I was trying to focus on getting a good video which I also did poorly at. Car is a mess, feel free to poke fun at my shifting and my missing shift boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kGRTLS-hQ&feature=youtu.be

Also turn it up to hear my nasty exhaust :)

#33 ·
Its not the speed that gets me its the rapid shifting with the 3.38 rear. I am used to a racecar that does 0 to sh!t your pants in less than 3 seconds at 15k rpm but you never have to use the clutch and its a sequential shifter. It takes longer to shift into second than it takes me to get through 1st.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.