BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5d vs VW Touareg2 diesel

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  HT417 
#1 ·
My 08 3.0 at 41,800k is reaching the end of its warranty and I am looking at options. It has surprisingly solid trade/sale value, and I am looking at moving to a new diesel. The candidates are the X5d and the Touareg2 diesel. One of the appeals of the latter is, " and now for something completely different," to borrow a phrase from Monte Python. Another is the increasing sense I have that, although BMW builds good products, it has lost some significant degree of integrity and post-sale customer orientation--for example, its shameful response to the premature auto trans problems to early 2000 3- series cars. Comments on the Touareg or other aspects of the above?

#4 ·
My two cents........I have never owned a TDI but I have owned both vehicles and I think you are better off with the BMW. I had a 2002 X5, when I got rid of that I picked up a new 2006 touareg V6. Although they are comparable in many ways, the maintenance on the touareg extremely expensive and they have the worst service. In my opinion BMW ultimate service is the deciding factor which is why I am picking up my 2010 X5 on Friday. Like I said, the Touareg was nice and compared well to the X5 bit isn't a BMW.

#5 ·
I've had a part on order for 3 months with BMW for a check engine light. I wouldn't say BMW's service is great. I had to put a call into BMWNA 2 weeks ago to ask where my part is. That's unacceptable in my opinion... The only problem I've had with mine is a check engine light that's been on for the last 3 months.

Craig

#13 ·
I'd be taking a LONG test drive in a demo car, maybe the old lady could distract the CA, pop the hood.... and that would solve my problem!

:yikes:

A

#15 ·
Had the opportunity to take an extended drive in a T-Reg TDI and was most impressed. Engine is much smoother and quieter than my 35d. I'd say performance "feels" about the same. Pulls like crazy off the line just like the 35d. Size is a little smaller, but still very good for 5 when needed. Electronics (Nav, Stereo) much better than the i-drive stuff. I have not seen the new 2010 update to the electronics, so this may not be as much of an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.