BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sib 61 17 08 ?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  UncleJ 
#1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving. I brought my '08 AT X3 in yesterday because sometimes it sounds like it isn't going to start( it always does however). They couldn't reproduce it in the shop and there weren't any error codes stored, rats! While they had it they "Reprogrammed the General Module as per SIB 61 17 08" When I asked the advisor what this was for, he didn't know. I'm thinking someone here does. Thanks.

#2 ·
The SA should know better, the SIB itself explains it, you just have to read it. Someone here with a paid mempership to BMWtis can retrieve it. If no, you can always gat a 24 hr access for about $30.00 I think.

#3 · (Edited)
The SA didn't know? What???? Unless you are in SoCal on the beach and he was in a hurry to catch a great wave there is absolutely no excuse for not finding out and explaining what it was and why it was needed, or getting someone who could do that. You need to watch this place carefully IMHO. There are just too many great dealership service centers in the SoCal area for you to get this kind of treatment.

#5 ·
Hmmm... not sure that SIB has anything to do with your issue, see below. That being said, if updates on our X3's are anything like updates on my E60, they generally update all modules by default - so possibly one of the other applied updates might fix your problem.

SI B61 17 08
General Electrical Systems November 2008
Technical Service

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS AND PRIOR TO RETAIL DELIVERY.

SUBJECT
Service Action: Reprogram General Module

MODEL
E83 (X3)

SITUATION
A software error may result in the continuous activation of the servomotors in the locks, resulting in individual lock actuator failure or fuel filler lock failure.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Service Action involves E83 (X3) vehicles, which were produced from September 2, 2007 to June 6, 2008.​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.